Skybox

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Skybox

Post by Per »

I experimented a bit with a new skybox with a blue sky instead of a red one:

It was commented on the IRC channel that such blue skies might not be appropriate for Warzone, since there was a total nuclear war. Perhaps someone else have good suggestions for textures to use?

I also made a starry night sky one:

(Yes, it looks like crap. The original texture was very low-res, and I am horrible at baking textures. But it shows the idea.)

Comments? Showcase your own? (You may need to edit the "pie_DrawSkybox" call in src/display3d.c to get your skybox to display correctly in the game.)
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
kage
Regular
Regular

Re: Skybox

Post by kage »

i think the starry night one is pretty reasonable. "total nuclear war" might imply a lot of overcast all the time, and gigantic dust clouds that migrate from continent to continent, but really, the "total nuclear war" thing happened 100 years before the beginning of the story, and it should have been more or less back to normal after that.

i do think blue skies are okay, but the blue skyboxes in the images below don't really match warzone's color palette (look and feel)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------->

* Actually .... the "skys the limit" on what you wanna do here.

* You could even rotate your skyboxes (like the backdrops) every time a new game is launched.

* The most up to date work in this area that I've studied was published in Science News Feb. 07 issue which is available on-line now HERE

* Personally I wouldn't worry too much about this "realism" angle. WZ's many base assumptions are preposterous by any scientific metric... Basically, we like playing with tanks & blowing chit-up and you need seek no other rationales. ;)

* Anyway, check the article out & you'll see what I mean by "the skys the limit" in HOW you portray a post nuke winter sky.

- regards, RV :D

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

I think blue sky looks too far from the terrain colours, since they look somewhat shadowed, like sky was dark or full of clouds. The night sky is better I think, even if i prefer red sky, maybe you should put on a new red skybox.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

kage wrote: i think the starry night one is pretty reasonable. "total nuclear war" might imply a lot of overcast all the time, and gigantic dust clouds that migrate from continent to continent, but really, the "total nuclear war" thing happened 100 years before the beginning of the story, and it should have been more or less back to normal after that.

* Actually, try 15 years instead of 100.

* No fair because I know the Pumpkin Timeline pretty good since I've expanded it in detail a hundred-fold for 2200.

- 2085: During routine testing the N.A.S.D.A. system malfunctions and launches nuclear strikes against all major cities in the world. The target countries respond with nuclear counter strikes.  N.A.S.D.A. fails to defend against incoming missiles.
- Warm & fuzzy regards, RV ;)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Clear skies don't really fit the WZ feel, IMO.

It would look really good if you changed the "blue" to "orange" in those skyboxes, Per.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

yea....blue sky dont feet to Arizona maps...may be to Rockies mountins ... need to see.  Night sky texture - seems ...need higher resolutions....to make start smaller.. or even to make in paint wight dots(1-3 pixels) on black I think will be good =)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

Nah sorry, i don't like em at all.
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

I like the orange sky that we already have, but the fact that all 3 sectors have the same one bugs me.

Arizona should stick with orange, city should have depressing grey dustclouds, and the rocky mountains should have a bright overcast sky.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

--------->

* I would suggest you include an apt landscape perspective as part of the Skybox - makes it more spacious & immersive.

* Here's "Terragen" - kwel free tool equiv of Bryce

- RV :)
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 12 Jan 2008, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

My favorite: http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/Imag ... nset_3.jpg

But the license is CC BY-SA-NC
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------->

* Alrighty then..

* "Terragen" is free and easy to use.

* There is NO copyright issue with the skyboxes You make.

* The quality results speak for themselves Samples HERE

* It's not even a close call, IMO... but what the hay.... you can show the thirsty steed the pool of clean, fresh water... but it's up to him if he wants to ignore or drink.

- With true grit & class, RV :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

[offtopic]
Kamaze wrote: My favorite: http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/Imag ... nset_3.jpg

But the license is CC BY-SA-NC
Emphasis on non-commercial?  Are you suggesting that the non-commercial part would prevent you or this project from using the image?  Is this a commercial project?  Do you ever hope to be?

If so, let me offer you a little tidbit of advice about the GPL; an answer to a question I sent directly to the FSF about a project I was working on in school last year:
[Sir],

> Say I am charging $X for the binaries and source (bundled together to
> satisfy the GPL) to cover development costs, storage media, bandwidth,
> etc.
> Since the software is free under the GPL license, does the license
> provide any means to prevent people from then distributing it (exact
> copies) after they have paid for the binaries/source?

These people are certainly free to do this. Trying to prevent this would be a violation of the GPL. [...]
Please see also .

> It may sound like a strange question, but is free software piracy
> possible?

"Free software piracy" is an oxymoron.

Kind Regards,

--
Michael Fötsch
At my work we use some LGPL components in our software product.  We have to keep careful account of this software because we're required to make the LGPL source available when we release our binaries.  In this case we don't have to provide the source for (nearly) free.

Long offtopic short, in the case where you have a project built entirely on GPL software for which you don't own the copyright, good luck making any serious money off it...

[/offtopic]
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100