Guardian Map

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Phase II
Trained
Trained

Guardian Map

Post by Phase II »

I have worked on an asymmetric map. It is designed for strong teamwork, 3v3. Each team has a guardian, the front base at a choke point. Space within the protected base regions are limited, so plan buildings carefully. You might need VTOLs if breaking down the main gate is too hard... then again, the cliffs can be lined with deadly AA. Map is medium-low oil.

This is my very first map, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback on things that work/do not work, and suggestions.

Base 1

Base 2

Map
Attachments
6c-Guardian.wz
(27.17 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Re: Guardian Map

Post by Tzeentch »

question, for a first map why not symmetric? This way it is easier to ensure correct balance. Not played yet but decent look
Phase II
Trained
Trained

Post by Phase II »

Symmetric maps are okay, but seem a little bit too predictable to me. I like the sense of exploration that the campaign gives, and wanted to try to reproduce that feeling in a teamwork setting. But yes, balance is hard, and I am unsure if I have reached it.
Phase II
Trained
Trained

Post by Phase II »

A few minor updates to the map. Terrain tweaks to try to avoid the pathing engine from getting vehicles stuck. Advanced bases (which are not actually that advanced) include minor defenses for the guardian.
Attachments
6c-Guardian.wz
Guardian map version 2
(27.95 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Phase II
Trained
Trained

Post by Phase II »

After some more testing, I have tweaked parts of the terrain to avoid having the pathing engine get units stuck. Also added some defenses for the guardian on advanced bases. Advanced bases do not include base structures, since part of the point of this map is planning how to fit in exactly the buildings you need in limited space.

I tried posting this about a week ago, but it has not shown up? (Moderators, if both of these posts are in queue, just pick one to review.)
Attachments
6c-Guardian.wz
Version 2
(27.95 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Usually posts awaiting moderation appear in the list of new posts, where they can be approved easily. But sometimes they don't. No idea why.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

ooupsss- i see the map the first time. Sorry. The map looks nice, but it is unplayable. You forgot to make cliffs. Balance: One team has 14 oil/base. The other team 9. Thats unfair-but possible in some cases. Much more important are the cliffs. Read BlueMaxima's FlaME manual and the Tutorial made by NoQ. You can find here: https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/FLAME/FlaME
Nice to see a new mapmaker. Every beginning is difficult. Dont be dismotivated. I just want to help :)
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
Phase II
Trained
Trained

Post by Phase II »

Thanks, I will read through those.

Hmm... I count 14 oils in both bases?
I do have some cliffs, here they are marked up:
Are there more places I should have cliffs?
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Phase II wrote:Thanks, I will read through those.

Hmm... I count 14 oils in both bases?
I do have some cliffs, here they are marked up:
Are there more places I should have cliffs?
All depends on the angle. How should a heavy python climb a 50 degree angle? Thats nearly impossible. Don`t forget-the player gives the unit the command, to travel from point a to b. The unit will try to move to point b, searching the shortest way in distance-not the easiest way in time. You can set the angle in the editor. Its 35 by default. I think all over 50 is very difficult to handle.
Dont hurry. Test your maps. Play the map at least 10 times. You will find every time you test the map, something to change-to make it better. I need 2 weeks for my first map MontenegroB (addon section). Now i would make the same map in 30 minutes.

PS-Tip: You can use the deity cheat, to see, what happend on the map. Its important to know, how the AI works.
1-press the key T and then press the Enter key
2 write: CHEAT ON and press the Enter-key
3 write now: DEITY and press Enter
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Also what could be useful is demoing the maps and play with some of your friends. Get some feedback and try things out.

Do we have a place or set way to test maps within the community for others to try something out and say yes or no? Then in newer releases an official map can be permentatly added so others won't have to keep DL on a new installation. Me, I like being lazy so would like that.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Tzeentch wrote:
Do we have a place or set way to test maps within the community for others to try something out and say yes or no? Then in newer releases an official map can be permentatly added so others won't have to keep DL on a new installation. Me, I like being lazy so would like that.
This is the place here. Here we discuss the maps. Official maps are in the addons section. To download a map here is on own risk. The maps in the addons section were tested and controlled.
Phase II
Trained
Trained

Post by Phase II »

Thanks for the tips. I have done a bunch of testing, but it seems I did not know what to look for. I am working on repainting the cliffs.

Some anomalies from testing:
It seems NullBot often ignores scavengers, even when they control oil that could be taken. Also, it spams trucks and buildings early game, taking a while before any offensive units. Are these behaviours intentional?
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Phase II wrote:Thanks for the tips. I have done a bunch of testing, but it seems I did not know what to look for. I am working on repainting the cliffs.

Download a map from the addons section which looks similar to your map-Open the map with the flame editor and compare it with your map. That helps a lot.
Don`t try to make grass as cliffs. It is possible, but thats for experts and need detailed work/control.
Start with a simple looking map. The most important is, that the map is in function.
And dont make the mistake, i made in my first map. First map should be without scavs, It needs a good feeling, where to place the scavs.
Oil tip: In your 3 vs 3 map deactivate one of the enemys and you as player should do nothing. Then watch, how the AI (2vs2 in fact) build oil and buildings. So you can see, if the oil-placement is more or less balanced. Thats a very difficult part in non-symmetrical maps. It is better to make symmetric maps as a beginner.
The map-generator in Flame is a nice tool, to create symmetrical maps. Easy to handle. Try it out :)
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

I like the idea of asymmetric maps. Not all players are equal.
Phase II
Trained
Trained

Post by Phase II »

Revision 3 of map: more proper cliffs, fewer floating trees.
Attachments
6c-Guardian.wz
Version 3
(28.4 KiB) Downloaded 204 times