54 thousand polys -- take that, real-time game engine!

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
cathuria
Art contributor

Re: 54 thousand polys -- take that, real-time game engine!

Post by cathuria »

Haven't forgotten -- just been a tad busy... but I wanted to add a little something to make more of a scene out of it for a menu screen.  So I thought I's model a quick, simple... um, okay, so I might have lost track of the 'simple' bit while I was modeling, so sue me...
I'll get to work on the actual scene soon, I'm sure...  :)
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

That's very nice too. You should put that in the background with some other tank near it [maybe with the other part of the pepperpot battery, making the whole scene look better]
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Post by HCN-Trooper »

cathuria, do you use 3DS max? or what program else?
cathuria
Art contributor

Post by cathuria »

HCN-Trooper: Modo is my current tool of choice; it's still a growing app and is missing a few features that I would really like, but it is hands down the most efficient modeler I've ever used... plus its lightning fast renderer.
http://www.luxology.com/
cathuria
Art contributor

Post by cathuria »

I's back... you know, trying to compose a picture around a big-butt menu in the middle of everything is a bit perplexing.  I may have to take a few more stabs at it.
Anyhow, here is my first attempt at a menu screen -- let me know how you think it works (or doesn't).

http://www.cathuria.com/improbable/pepperpot2-bdrop.png
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

on this monitor on xp sp 2 = looks good.  chose the stretch background mode.... is a little blurred but still looks good.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Under what license do/would you put these images?
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
cathuria
Art contributor

Post by cathuria »

Kamaze wrote: Under what license do/would you put these images?
Well, that bdrop image I just posted was published without authorship or copyright claim on it, and I don't do that by accident; call it Art Libre if you like.
As for the first image in this thread... to tell the truth, I hadn't really thought about it -- but as I said earlier, I'm happy to let the image be used to promote the WRP.  Geez, there are so many licenses... put it this way: what did you have in mind?
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

cathuria wrote: Well, that bdrop image I just posted was published without authorship or copyright claim on it, and I don't do that by accident; call it Art Libre if you like.
As for the first image in this thread... to tell the truth, I hadn't really thought about it -- but as I said earlier, I'm happy to let the image be used to promote the WRP.  Geez, there are so many licenses... put it this way: what did you have in mind?
We tend to like the GNU GPL (any version) or the Creative Commons (BY-SA) http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ however any reasonably permissive license should be fine :)

Regards, Freddie.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

The GPL is not suitable for anything other than source code.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

It can be interpreted for data as well. The requirement then would be that a lossless image (i.e. PNG, but not JPEG) is provided. Better in this case would even be if the 3D modeler scene would be provided. It's really mostly an interpretation thing.
But I agree that using CC BY-SA 3.0 would be easier to apply and would require less material ("sourcecode") from the artist.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

i believe the interpretation is distinguished based on *what* you're releasing under gpl. if you release the *image*, then the scene data is not required, as someone could still edit the image and rerelease it.
cathuria
Art contributor

Post by cathuria »

I'm with DevUrandom -- no way am I getting involved in figuring out what amounts to 'source code' for digital art :P

So, I've been reading up on all that Creative Commons stuff... yeesh, you guys made me do homework!

I have an inclination that something provided for free should remain free, but I see some disagreement over the impact and fairness of the "Non-Commercial" restriction in a license (-by -nc -sa).  What's your folks' thoughts on that?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Don't count my word on this, but I think that NC also prevents distribution-for-payment, like done by some Linux distros, game-magazines, etc... Possibly someone knows that better than me, though.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

DevUrandom wrote:Don't count my word on this, but I think that NC also prevents distribution-for-payment, like done by some Linux distros, game-magazines, etc... Possibly someone knows that better than me, though.
Yes, that's exactly the problem with it, the licence text forbids any use "that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation" (whatever that may mean exactly, but it is not as permissive as the GPL).

CC BY-SA corresponds roughly to the GPL, that's why I think we should limit the "main" game to those two licences (stuff under other licences can still be offered separately), to keep the licencing somewhat simple.
We want information... information... information.