Some changes I'm considering for "Campaign 4" - Opinions?

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: Some changes I'm considering for "Campaign 4" - Opinions

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

He *is* the 'Heretical 2.3 Mad Scientist" for a reason. ;)
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

aubergine wrote:@Iluvalar - I guess what you are basically saying is that you don't want to update your mods to WZ 3.x branch, and that is the real reason your mods won't work on that branch?
There is 2 reasons why my mods are not on 3.1

1- I crash on it badly after ~5 minutes of gameplay. Each time repetitively.
2- A lot of bugs (accuracy, ZZzs, path finding) and changes (lack of unit preview) make me prefer 2.3 anyway for now.

The frequent compatibility breaking doens't help for sure, but probably some of my mods would make it trough 3.1 anyway. If I were playing 3.1, I'd probably make small experiment in it.

I think we are going out of the subject XD.

Edit :
But I'm doing my mods using automatic scripts that run over the initial data. But Goth is doing a lot of manual work and changes in order to make an entire campaing. And reviewing the entire code each versions can be pretty tedious. You make a change, test and crash again. And you can't tell when it will end. It's nearly as demanding as rewriting everything anew.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

You've made automation scripts? o.O HOLY CRAP, it never even occurred to me to do that. Everything I've done has been manually.

That would be a major timesaver.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Yeah ! I made a PHP scripts.

The NRS mod is said to be "auto balanced". All the stats of the weapons, propulsion, bodies and structure are read from the base files and changed automatically to fit a defined progression rate. That's what make it balanced to a precision far beyond any other mods or standards stats ever.

But it doesn't work for you since your main job is to script the story. There is few automation to do with that. But I'm sure you could save time by coding some nice functions for the repetitive task. But when we do something new like what you do, we often find a better way to do it midway in... It generally get easier and more automated the more time you spent on it.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Nice. :) I did notice that your mod was quite well done and completely balanced. I enjoy playing it in MP (as I do occasionally).

Anyway, back to the primary subject at hand. I've got a few things I want to do to the scripts today, and that should be a good milestone for a release. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my new video card (GeForce GT 610) today or tomorrow, so I have some time to kill.