Kicking Noobs ok?

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
Perseus
Trained
Trained

Re: Kicking Noobs ok?

Post by Perseus »

The derrick cap is too high.
The cost of derricks isn't being introduced because of this.

A lot of what you said there isn't true. I've stated it before, if you are hosting, show basic respect to those who join.
I'm talking about abuse of this feature.

Oh, and another thing, most successful online communities have a Code of Conduct.
Zepherian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zepherian »

Perseus wrote:
The derrick cap is too high.
The cost of derricks isn't being introduced because of this.

A lot of what you said there isn't true. I've stated it before, if you are hosting, show basic respect to those who join.
I'm talking about abuse of this feature.

Oh, and another thing, most successful online communities have a Code of Conduct.
Maybe not, but what I was basically just saying is that the derrick cap should be in line with the generator cap. So, depending on structure limit the derrick cap should multiply the gen limit by 4. While I sometimes implement more derricks than I need to cut off resources I don't see it as "fun" or even necessary to gameplay.

There should be a code of conduct, but what I say is don't be heavy handed in moderation or instead of fostering communities it dwindles them. It's all about the balance.

Part of the problem is the menu wording. Instead of "the host has kicked you from the game" it could say "sorry, game full, try again next time", and, with no change in behaviour a lot of unecessary irritation would be defused. A host has to host, ie, he has to balance teams and setup the game he wants to play, depending on available players. Hosts also host noob games and kick ranked players, although in older games there seem to be more experienced players than new ones, so it does go both ways.

This whole thread seems a bit storm in a teacup to me, the problem can be, mostly, solved with very minor tweaks, some of them simply semantic.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I say don't kick noobs. Pwn them until you can't pwn them. That's how you make them better players. Password games intended for a select few. Other than that, take your lumps.
Also known as Subsentient.
Camilus
New user

Post by Camilus »

As a 'noob' this has been a interesting thread.Ive been playng this game for years and only recently found it online.Im a noob to online but in no way a noob to playing.I do get that online play is different to homeplay.I held onto my old PS1 just to play this game.Im sure there are many more like me who try and play.I play as 'Camilus'-unlike those that change names because they are been kicked so many times.If any of you want to kick me then thats your choice but you will find that this game will die a death when its only the same people playing over and over again.

Allow people to play.Make allowances.If a noob is playing-so what.Advise and guide them.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

The problem is when you check the medals, set up a 2v2 where the apparent dummy-icon newbie is on your team and two players with lots of medals on the other team, and the apparent newbie easily beats the other two players without having to even try.
MrUnknown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrUnknown »

As a play noob myself,i would advise others to train themselfes no hate im new to the game and EVERYONE needs to learn how to play. even the biggest pros started from nothing,so what?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

so what?
GOOD IDEA:
  • Before coming to multiplayer, finish the campaign first, to at least know how to play.
  • Start with practicing 1x1 matches first. You would learn a lot, and your opponents will not be annoyed.
  • Find a better player to teach you in 1x1 matches, explaining your weak points after each game.
BAD IDEA:
  • Join a team game only to make your teammates explain you how to play, instead of playing themselves.
VERY BAD IDEA:
  • Join a team game and build walls during the whole game, because you have not learned how to do anything else yet.
  • Clear enough?
MrUnknown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrUnknown »

:oops: Yup. by the way i am not a complete n00b,i only like small maps with medium oil and i don't like big armies.Maybe that is why why i still don't have a badge :oops:
w3 4r3 31337 h4x0rs
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

MrUnknown wrote::oops: Yup. by the way i am not a complete n00b,i only like small maps with medium oil and i don't like big armies.Maybe that is why why i still don't have a badge :oops:
YOu will find some of the best players don't like big armies either - there is quite a raging debate here about High Oil vs Low oil but even then it is not a problem for you to only like or play low / med oil. Just saying...
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

I definitely like low and medium oil maps more than high oil maps and usually operate with small armies. :wink:
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
MrUnknown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrUnknown »

thx f0 da h3lp! k3yb0aRD d3ad :sad:
w3 4r3 31337 h4x0rs
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

MrUnknown wrote:thx f0 da h3lp! k3yb0aRD d3ad
Apparently his keyboard is dead.
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
IblisTheMage
Rookie
Rookie

Post by IblisTheMage »

Well, as MP noob (but having been playing the game since it came out through the different mod/public domain etc phases) I would say it is ok to kick me, when I some day finally start playing MP.

I would rather be kicked than cause grief.

Having said that, good players should take time (1 in 10, 1 in 20) to play with (against) noobs. See it as an investment in the MP community: with no inflow, any community will die), see it as an opportunity to be uber-cool, and see it as an opportunity to give something nice to other human beings.

Now stop posting and go hug a tree.
xfinnian
Trained
Trained

Post by xfinnian »

Im a newb, and i cannot find games on the lobby where anyone will help me learn how to play.
I will reply as soon as possible.
xfinnian
Trained
Trained

Post by xfinnian »

I think if there where 'noob' games, where noobs play against each other,
the problem would be solved.
I will reply as soon as possible.