The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Re: The *NEW* Warzone guide. Done with RED units V2.2RC1

Post by themousemaster »

Simply leave your tanks to Fire At Will, and you should take out the entire scave base, and those 2 Eastern NP towers, with little difficulty.

As your MBG is pushing the Scav base, see if you can have your trucks creep some towers closer to the NP base; the closers you "defensive" line, the better the chances of retreating forces when we head into NPs base in a minute.

Your MBG should be in good shape after the Scav assault, so rather than heading back to repair, head back out of the scav base, and then West from LZ2.

You will hit some NP tanks during the push east, but push-retreat-push tactics with a Retreat at Medium Damage tactic should get you through.
Alpha8 - PRessing NP.JPG
Clear out everything you can see in this Screenshot, and move your team to the area indicated.
Alpha8 - Final NP base.JPG
This is all of the NP base left, once you've dealt with their attacking tanks and structures in the previous screenshot. This base is so poorly defended that I was able to move my group in, AND back out, for this screenshot without taking a casualty.

Fry it at your leisure. Once done, don't forget that one tank you left behind. Now's a good time to bring it up for repairs :P

The techs found here are the Mini Rocket artillery (and it's related defensive structure), which leads to the Bombar Turret (awesome!), the Bug light body (meh, not really useful in the campaign), and Composite Alloy tank armor improvements (sweet!).

And some interesting news: this stage doesn't end when you destroy the base. You have to destroy the base and then return your MBG to the LZ2. So... go ahead and fry the base completely, and just wait on going back to your LZ2 until all reasearch is done. And have your trucks recycle your structures if desired.

Have at least half an hour left? Good.

Fly in your Mortar team, and recycle them immediately upon landing. Re-design them to be Cobra-Track-bombards, and rebuild all 10. Not a bad upgrade, eh? That said, *DON'T* then airlift them into this stage after they are done being built. If you do, they will just get in your way at the LZ of your main base at the start of next stage. May as well leave them at the exits of their factoires.

Final Word: There are other tactical options for beating this stage; bringing in your mortars, and shelling the NP base from the East (ex-scav base), for example. The reason I chose the method described in these posts is because it works, and is fast. Once you've "established" your LZ2 safely, though, feel free to use this as a trial stage for developing tactics. It's got all the markings for good development, and you should still have plenty of time afterwards to update your artillery team.

END ALPHA8
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

themousemaster wrote: Zsheef.

I just went back to edit my previous posts, and found I cannot edit them after a period of time.

I will "correctly" number my steps in the future. If any mod out there wants to edit my previous posts to account for numeric inconsistencies, go for it.
Say what you need done...since I am out of the loop on what needs to be done.
and it ends here.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Buginator wrote: Say what you need done...since I am out of the loop on what needs to be done.
Stages Alpha3-7.5 are all off. If you could re-edit them so that their numbers match up, that would be swell.

Alpha8 on is good.
Freakyman
Trained
Trained

Post by Freakyman »

Fantastic Guide i like the other guide i think Zarel posted but i like Screen Shots it is so much cooler :D

Great work keep it up :cool:
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

ALPHA9

Foreword:

When you first launch your transport in this stage, it's possible to take control of it (in 2.2RC1 anyway), and fly it around to pretty much end this stage *for you*. My guide will NOT be using this method.

To begin:

Load up 10 units (I recommend 3 trucks and 7 combat units), and ship them off. After a brief transport-chase scene, your forces will land. Readjust your camera as necessary :P

Load up your commander and 9 more combat units immediately.

Have your trucks put up a Repair bay up the cliff north of the LZ, and guard it with a couple bunkers on the north side, and some towers on the NE; while doing this, move your force due east from the LZ. You will run into some buggies and rambos (seriously, they still try to fight you), and then 2 scav bases that look more like 1 big one.
Alpha9 - scavs.JPG
These bases shouldn't be any real threat, but you need to get rid of them to prevent getting blindsided. Once done, move your team back to the LZ, and wait for your reinforcements.

While waiting for your MBG (3 minute transport timers suck), set up some facilities to start shelling the NP base, in addition to your repair bay defenses. When doing this, be sure to adding additional towers to stuff the troops they will send out to counter. I.E., put the mortars up last.
Alpha9 - shellin.JPG
When your MBG shows up, do *not* use your next transport load to fill it out it's battle units. Instead, send in your brand-spanking-new 10 Bombard tanks. While waiting on them, push your MBG northward from your repair bay.

As you push through the valley, you will be shooting up Scav units on the ledges above you. Keep note of that; once you get by the place I indicate to "save" in the next screenshot, push your trucks north along the ridge to build more towers / mortars / a sensor.
Alpha9 - north edge.JPG
The other Scav base. Again, not too dangerous; the reason I suggest saveing before assaulting it is because, depending on exactly *where* you placed your repair bay, your retreating tanks may try to go by the NP base rather than back the way they came. If this is the case, recycle and move your Repair bay farther north.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

And now, for some more tactical fun.
Alpha9 - careful planning.JPG
By now, your bombard units should have landed (or are about to), so we will do all 4 of the indicated things in the above screenshot at once.

This may get touchy; pay careful attention to your MBG, and make sure you cover any retreating units.

Here's the thing: your MBG would probably be enough by itself to hammer this portion of the NP base, but they will start airlifting in reinforcements; and unlike Alpha7, these will alternate between a moderate force, or a whole team of heavy units. That's why all the preparation. If all goes well, you shouldn't suffer any casualties... but if you did, that's why you saved it a short while ago :P.
Alpha9 - NP outer defenses.JPG
Your primary target in all of this is their Repair bay. Take it out, and their units can no longer heal. They'll still retreat when hurt, but the next time you see them, the will still be low on health.

The southern building holds the next Factory production upgrade (meh).

You will get the "reinforcement landing" warning once you've breached the inner wall (either by destroying or driving by it). As soon as you do, regardless of the state of their defenses, pull your MBG BACK to the cliff wall west of it; that way your Bombard group can provide support fire. Once the reinforcements are toast (or all red and retreating), move in for the finishing blow. I recommend blowing up all of the inner walls before you do, though, so as not to bottleneck yourself.
Alpha9 - NP base.JPG
This screenshot of the final NP base can be deceiving; it may be empty, or it may house a metric ton of units (or which some may be heavily damaged). The biggest threat, though, is the rocket towers in the SE. By themselves, they won't kill anything, but be very careful not to get units stuck; they can finish a red-health unit off easy.

The 4 circled towers are the "Landing zone" for NP. Take them down, and the airlifts stop. As for the factories, don't worry about them. the New Paradigm don't have much money to fund new units with.

All in all, this final push is only hard if they have a bunch of units in here (or if a battlegroup lands as you are attacking). If that is the case, either go toe-to-toe with them (push-and-retreat tactics), or draw them back to your Bombard wall.

The NP base has the next level of Fuel Injection Engine, New-Paradigm Medium body, upgraded Repair Bays, and the Synaptic Link. Start researchin'.

Also, have your MBG move out of the canyon, kill the NP walls south of the entrance, and then (after researching everything and recycling your towers first), head east to take out the towers there. The NP base won't be considered "destroyed" till this is done.

A note on Cyborgs:

The Project Team Leader seems very interested in this technology.

I have no idea why.

In the campaign, Cyborgs generally don't hold their weight. They do low damage, and have low hitpoints (at least, ones not belonging to your opponent in the end of the campaign do). Their original theory was to be a "massed infantry", but in a game where you can get by most stages quickly and without casualties, that just seems horrible.

It's different in skirmish/multiplayer, but this guide doesn't go there :P.

My advice: build a cyborg factory back at your main base just to appease your superiors, but neve build one. Whenever you get some handed to you, recycle them immediately, and (if they had experience on them) build something more useful.

END ALPHA9
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

ALPHA10

Hey, it's time to put your defenses to the test!

Did you prepare in Alpha6/7 enough?

First up, some prep. DO NOT MOVE YOUR MBG-COMBAT UNITS OUT OF YOUR MAIN BASE. Move them near to your factories (you'll see why later). Also, move your 10-unit Bombard group anywhere BUT the LZ, so they don't get in your way later (the southern pass or the repairbay just east of your main base are both good choices, they might see some action there).

Also, put up a cyborg factory. even though we aren't building anything from it, just putting the factory up will open some techs to research.

The FIRST thing you have to know is that, after the first 3-4 NP groups come in, the stage will END if you manage to eliminate 100% of the NP forces on the map at any given time. So if this stage ends abruptly, you managed to kill 'em all. This may or may not be what you want; if you are in the middle of recycling/rebuilding your units, then... may wanna reload, and "reduce" the power of your defensive walls a bit (the queue of experience for recycled units gets deleted if you reload a saved game, or finish a stage, unfortunately :( ).

The second thing is, The actual units seem to be somewhat random, in every single time I've played this game. I'll tell you what *I* see coming, but if your preparation is good, even if they mix it up, you should be good.

The tactical map:
Alpha10 - strategic map.JPG
The first 2 waves will be airdropped in at point 1, and both should be cyborgs. They will either head north (into your defenses at the north edge of the map), west (into your southern defensive line), or feint north and THEN head west. In any case, meh.

The next wave will either get airdropped in at 3 (moderate vehicles), roll in from 2 (heavy vehicles), or get airdropped in at 2 (cyborgs). If 2, your line should repel them; if 3, they should go straight for your central plateau base, and get decimated there.

At about this time, your constant research should open up the Python Heavy body. (SWEET!). IMMEDIATELY redesign your Command tank as a Command-Python-Track, recycle your current one (you didn't attach any units to it yet, right? if so, detach them), and rebuild it. Then, redesign your HMG and Lancer tanks to be Python-and-track as well, and recycle-rebuild those. Hold off on your cannons for a bit. Don't bother with Bombard upgrades either.

Point 1 will airlift in a Heavy Tank brigade next, and point 2 should have a combined cyborg-drop-and-tank-appearance at this point. Whether or not your defenses hold depends on how well you set up; but if units get away from here, don't worry about it. We have a plan B shortly.

Point 2 will now see another tank batallion arrive, but it will arrive 1 tank at a time. If the tank that arrives is pinned at it's entry point, the next one won't show up till the first is destroyed, and so on. Heh :P.

Point 4 is next, with several Cyborg drops in quick succession. They will toast your Oil Derrick here (oh darn, what will me and my 20K money do...), and then head for one of your 2 defensive walls.

When all of your Recycle-rebuilt units are ready (which should be about this point, if you were using factories 1, 2, and 3 to rebuild, but not the ones at the center base), put 4 rockets and 4 HMG tanks at the LZ (along with 2 trucks). Attach the rest of your units (including your old medium-cannon ones) to your new Heavy Commander, and move him south to the Southern Defensive wall.

About this point, the transports will stop; whatever NP has on the board right now will be all they have.

Sit behind your walls until about the 30-minute mark, then send your MBG around the board to find any survivors and burn em (assuming they didn't ALL die on your walls, and the stage had already ended). Just be sure your 4-4-2 team at your LZ is ready to go for next stage; it will need to HAUL REAR when the next stage starts.

END ALPHA10
JimmyJumpUp
Rookie
Rookie

Re: The *NEW* Warzone guide. Done on V2.2RC1

Post by JimmyJumpUp »

Zarel wrote:Umm... can you screenshot with green units? :/ People might get confused by red units - best to stick with defaults.

I like the red units. They show up better in the smaller schreenshots.
Rabidchaos
New user

Post by Rabidchaos »

About Alpha8, it didn't seem so rushed to me. I was able to take a mix of lancers, mortars, and cannons and steamroll through not only the scavenger base, but also both demolishing the bunker (that the trucks die for) and a lot of the attack waves they send. After that its a simple matter to send one tank to the other LZ hugging the wall so it doesn't get shot. I'll try to go back through the campaign (I was an idiot and only used one save slot) and get a pic or 5.

Cool guide, by the way. I got stuck on the massive cyborg + tank attack because I didn't have any preparations. This time I'll probably do better.

Oh, and I'm also copying the guide to a OO document so I can print it. Once you finish the guide I can post it (hopefully ;) ) as well as probably an MS word version.

And about Alpha6, the bit about NOT shooting the little sensor buggy is probably a good thing. I always just associated it with NP and shot it on sight, trying my best to destroy it early :stressed: . Getting extra time to prepare before NP attack would probably have been a big help :suprised: .
Craig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Craig »

cyborgs....rubbish.....daft thing to say. they dont hold very well if you use assult gunners or whatever, scourge units in large numbers can be devestating though, with some flashlight gunners to do high damage to tanks. they can be used in the right position and in high numbers. if you send a few in out gunned by heavy tanks they are bound to get destroyed. :stare:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Freakyman wrote:Fantastic Guide i like the other guide i think Zarel posted but i like Screen Shots it is so much cooler :D

Great work keep it up :cool:
A note: Once this guide is finished, it will be in my guide.
Freakyman
Trained
Trained

Post by Freakyman »

Ahh sorry Zarel your guide please forgive me im blonde if that counts to an apology and yeah great guides both of ya :D
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

When this is finished would someone makea PDF of it?(or I could do it from the odf)
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Alpha11

This is another stage where you need to be on your A-game. Tactically speaking anyway. Once the true action starts, you may wish to slow the gamespeed down.

Load up your 4 HMG-pythons, 4 Lancer-Pythons, and 2 trucks, and lift off.

As soon as the force lands, do the following, in order, as fast as you can:
  • -Select your 8 combat units, and head them east. Make sure they are on no retreating (Do or Die)
    -Select your 2 trucks, and have them follow your 8 combat units closely.
    -Load up your 10-tank Bombard team, and launch them.
Your combat group will hit a few scav units, which they will obliterate. Then, you come to a 2-pack of reasonable scav bases.

Start by removing the Minipod bunkers on the cliff edges, and then...
Alpha11 - Scav1.JPG
Alpha11 - Scav2.JPG
Split your combat unit into 2 groups of 2HMG + 2 rockets, and 1 group into each of these 2 bases. Keep careful watch on your unit's HP; we are not allowing them to retreat, so you have to make sure they don't get killed. The good news is, the NW of the 2 bases is sparesly defended, so you can probably spend the whole time watching your East group.

Killing the whole base would be nice (especially the NW one), but your main targets are the factories, so that the scavs can't send in reinforcements from behind for the rest of this stage.

While your tanks are occupied, move your trucks "down" (north) the ramp into the valley, and set up a couple defenses ASAP. You will be getting a message shortly that the NP have recovered an artifact, and you must intercept them before they get to their LZ. The way the stage is set up, you will really only get 1 shot at this, and that's right in the valley.
Alpha11 - Intercept em.JPG
As all this is going on, your Bombards will land. Move them "up" the ramp (south of) the Repair bay, and have them wait there (they should be safe, if you got the Scav factories)
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

The NP "force" will be several medium tanks, 1 "HEAVY" (heavy body, heavy cannon) tanks, and a few Lancers on wheels.

The "HEAVY" tank is carrying the tech. If it gets away, you lose the stage.

That said, the Lancer-wheels are the most dangerous of the approaching vehicles, you you may wish to deal with them first, then the "HEAVY" tank.

So... you kill the tank, get the tech (Heavy Cannon. YAY!), and the stage is!...

Not over? Start reseraching the Heavy Cannon tech. This is about to get ugly.
Alpha11 - decisions.JPG
The force you just destroyed is only part of the actual NP force. The good news is, you are no longer in danger of "autolosing" the stage; the bad news is, you have to kill the whole NP tank force, and the rest of them are holed up in a VERY impressive array of defenses.

Make sure your units are repaired, and get ready to use one of two options, neither of which are pretty.

I will be using option 1, but I will give you a brief look at option 2:
Alpha11 - option2-1.JPG
Alpha11 - option2-2.JPG
You may look at these 2 shots and think "What's so hard about this road?". I've circled the major problems; 1 is that you are going to be staring at 6 or so Lancer Towers as soon as you turn the corner (which is enough to instakill a full HP unit in 1 volley), and 2 is that the "chokepoint" I've circled is right in range of the NP super-heavy tanks and bombards, turning your push into a funnel of doom. Also, the way the mountains are arranged, you will have a lot of trouble getting your Bombards in position to shoot said towers (protip: if you go with this method, put the Sensor tower and Bombards in the valley where the NP-with-tech force came from).