A few question from a new user

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
lazerbeat
New user

A few question from a new user

Post by lazerbeat »

hiya! I love this game but I have a few questions,

I am working my way through campaign mode and I understand MOST of the game but have a few baffling points.

1 - How do I "destroy" a base? Sometime I will be attacking a base and it will explode fairly quickly with a "scavenger base destroyed" message and the little red dot vanishes. Sometimes I have to destroy every structure to get the message.

2 - I just got the upgrade for the "cobra Body" and I was able to use it in designs but wasn't able to manufacture anything using is until I upgraded the factory which I only found out by trial and error. Is there any way to know what upgrades I need before I can use certain research items?

3 - I dont quite understand the power in the game, as far as I can work out, oil is the only resource you have and you can get this one of three ways, oild cans, recycling old vehicles (which makes sense to me) or oil derricks (im lost on these). When I find a power resource I build a derrick near it then a power station near the derrick. When I click on the power station I get a message something along the lines of "power station, 1 of 4 connected" what does this mean and how do I get more connections? Do I need to build power stations near each derrick? I havent really noticed any major increases in my oil production, I get the feeling I am missing something here.

4 - What does the command relay post do?

Thanks SO much for this game and a pre emptive thanks alot for any help!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: A few question from a new user

Post by lav_coyote25 »

http://docs.wz2100.net/manual/manual.html

old information (from the original game) - still relevant.

new information here : http://wiki.wz2100.net/Category:Manual : still being worked on.

as for question 3 - it takes 4 oil wells (resources) to power up one generator - totaly = 4 power rings in the graphic. - you also need to research generator tech as you come across it.
you can build your generators in your base...if you have the room...its getting and keeping the oil resources that is the hard part (especially in the skirmish or multiplayer side of the game.)

and here is the old tech tree - http://docs.wz2100.net/documents%20proj ... items.html - showing in the first few spaces the structures your asking about.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

For 1, it depends on what the mission is.
The FMVs told you more, but they are not quite ready to be released yet, since we are trying to find playback code that works on all platforms.

2, by trial & error, unless you look at the tech tree that people have made/generated.

The manual does contain more useful tidbits, and if you get stuck, there is also a walkthrough available, since this was a commercial game...
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

as for the confusion with the power generators, I remember not having any idea of how that stuff worked when I first played the commercial game 10 years ago as well, so that's not something that was explained in the FMV's or anything. Perhaps it could be stated clearer in the tutorial (I haven't gone through the tutorial in many years, but I think I played it in the commercial version without having the power generators explained.
Of course, you get it after playing it some time, but I guess they could be better explained to a new player. Perhaps using some kind of easy "Tip of the moment" thing on the loading screen or (easily disabled) popup when you first start the game.
Something like "Tip: Power generators can power up to 4 oil derricks. They do not have to be in the vicinity of the derricks they are supplying power to. Be sure to research power upgrades when they come available."
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Clicking on a power generator should do the trick. If I recall it is "Power Generator, connected <x> of 4"; where <x> is an integer between 0 and 4. This should make it quite clear that the maximum number of wells per generator is 4.

Regards, Freddie.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

EvilGuru wrote:Clicking on a power generator should do the trick. If I recall it is "Power Generator, connected <x> of 4"; where <x> is an integer between 0 and 4. This should make it quite clear that the maximum number of wells per generator is 4.

Regards, Freddie.
Well, that's what Lazerbeat did, and he couldn't figure out what that means. I'd say it should be rephrased to "Power Generator, connected to <x> of 4 oil derricks" to be clearer.

Now to actually answer these questions:
lazerbeat wrote:1 - How do I "destroy" a base? Sometime I will be attacking a base and it will explode fairly quickly with a "scavenger base destroyed" message and the little red dot vanishes. Sometimes I have to destroy every structure to get the message.
In campaign mode, to destroy a base, you need to destroy every structure in the base except walls and features (like the shacks - walls and features are structures that do nothing, and your units will not shoot at them automatically). If it explodes fairly quickly, that just means it's a small base.
lazerbeat wrote:2 - I just got the upgrade for the "cobra Body" and I was able to use it in designs but wasn't able to manufacture anything using is until I upgraded the factory which I only found out by trial and error. Is there any way to know what upgrades I need before I can use certain research items?
You need to upgrade your factory once to use medium-sized bodies and twice to use large-sized bodies.
You need to have a Command Relay Post to use commanders (it's like one for every five commanders, I think).
In multiplayer, you need to upgrade your VTOL factory once to make cyborg transports.
I think those are the only ones.
lazerbeat wrote:3 - I dont quite understand the power in the game, as far as I can work out, oil is the only resource you have and you can get this one of three ways, oild cans, recycling old vehicles (which makes sense to me) or oil derricks (im lost on these). When I find a power resource I build a derrick near it then a power station near the derrick. When I click on the power station I get a message something along the lines of "power station, 1 of 4 connected" what does this mean and how do I get more connections? Do I need to build power stations near each derrick? I havent really noticed any major increases in my oil production, I get the feeling I am missing something here.
(This was answered before, but just to be clear) Yes, oil is the only resource you have. Oil derricks need to built on top of power resources, not near them (I think you made a typo). For an oil derrick to give you power, you need to have at least one power generator for every four oil derricks (these generators can be anywhere, and are usually inside your base). In other words, the amount of oil you get is proportional to the number of your oil derricks or four times the number of your power generators, whichever is smaller.
lazerbeat wrote:4 - What does the command relay post do?
It allows you to use commanders.
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

about the sizes of bodies - I really think they should have more info on which size they are - sure, it says what kind of body it is when you research it, but I doubt many new players will memorize that (even though you can remember which is which after playing some time). It would be great if it could be said in the tooltip when you're holding the button over it in the design menu or something like that.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

fisk0 wrote:about the sizes of bodies - I really think they should have more info on which size they are - sure, it says what kind of body it is when you research it, but I doubt many new players will memorize that (even though you can remember which is which after playing some time). It would be great if it could be said in the tooltip when you're holding the button over it in the design menu or something like that.
I agree with that. More detailed Tooltips in the Design-Screen would be good.
There should appear a more detailed ToolTip too for every single Item, before you research too, telling you Size of the Body (if it is one), how much Defense Points (with and without your current Research), Life Points, Energy Consumption, Weight, Damage and Attack Speed (if it's a Weapon), and so on. So you don't have to calculate sometimes, which Body is better, which would be good for Beginners. Sounds much, but the Tooltip can be small. Only 4-6 Lines (just use a small Font). The Tooltip should be a bit transparent for not covering over the Background.

And the "Tip of the Moment"-Screen while loading a Map (Preview of it stay visible while loading), is a good Idea. I recommend that.
:ninja:
lazerbeat
New user

Post by lazerbeat »

Thanks very much for your help everyone, I have a better understanding of the game now. I have a feeling I will have more questions before too long though!