It's beeen a long time since I tried this...

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

It's beeen a long time since I tried this...

Post by themousemaster »

Both playing this game in general, AND... doing a guide for it.

As was suggested almost a decade ago, if I was having trouble making a guide for this website (which I absolutely did, due to RL complications I described in that thread), I could try using this new things called "Youtube" instead. Since that statement, Youtube has become... a bit bigger than I think anyone anticipated.

I was considering trying to finish what I started a decade ago, using Youtube as a format, in a... "semi-commentary campaign walkthrough and strategy guide" series.

However, as this would be a new things for me, I realize I have a lot to learn.

On you the Youtube side, I've got a friend who is going to introduce me to Adobe, OBS, Audacity, et. al.

On the game side... well, I haven't played since v2.1.

I already noticed, when trying the game again, that there is no longer a save option between campaign stages, which is... nothing I can't work around for a video series, but a bit weird IMO.

But that got me realizing that a lot may have changed, and the last thing I want to do is a strategic walkthrough without knowing if there are critical changes that could render my strategies and my walking-throughness ineffective.

So, I have two things I wish to proffer to this forum and the knowledgeable within:

A) What game-critical changes have occurred between 2.1 and the version I just grabbed, 3.4.1, that I need to know before spending weeks making videos on a dozen stages only to realize that they are all worthless?

and

B) Please do not expect me to do this rapidly. I realize the last time I said "don't worry, I'll get it done", my computer and all my work died in a shower of sparks around Gamma6, and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up... and also, even if I do manage this, it's is going to take me quite a while to pull off, due to me being a TubeNoob.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Re: It's beeen a long time since I tried this...

Post by andrvaut »

2.1 was so long ago that I don't remember all the important changes.
I can remember these:
- the mechanics of hitting have changed, and now projectiles will not fly through the ground during any events
- changed the pathfinding, these changes were necessary for the new network code. Unfortunately, this greatly worsened the gaming experience in the campaign.
- new fire distribution system. Units are no longer discharged all into one target.
- changes in graphics, replacement of the scripting language and stats storage format, and much more did not have a strong impact on the campaign.

The script itself is almost unchanged. Only in the last mission should this bug be taken into account:
vaut ΣΑ [GN], ru streamer.
Tournaments channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzusNa-54ydodtSz2TdHFww
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

So I shouldn't need to fear, say, New Paradigm having additional spawn spots in Alpha-6, or NEXUS SAM's knowing not to fire at the scrub-VTOL I send in front of my heavy bombers? (Or things like that).

Also, why was between-stage saving removed? Any idea?

Also also, what do you mean "new fire distribution system"? you mean if I give my tanks a move command by the enemies, they will now spread out their fire? If so, can I assume if I give a direct target order, they will still concentrate?
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

themousemaster wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 15:37 So I shouldn't need to fear, say, New Paradigm having additional spawn spots in Alpha-6, or NEXUS SAM's knowing not to fire at the scrub-VTOL I send in front of my heavy bombers? (Or things like that).

Also, why was between-stage saving removed? Any idea?

Also also, what do you mean "new fire distribution system"? you mean if I give my tanks a move command by the enemies, they will now spread out their fire? If so, can I assume if I give a direct target order, they will still concentrate?
About vtol I did not understand the question.
If you are talking about a hack that allows one light unit to discharge many weapons, it will not work. The new fire distribution system does not allow overkills.

Manual focus has not changed. When forced target designation, all selected units will shoot.
But the automatic target selection has become more efficient:
- in the priority of the goals for which the greatest bonus
- overkill from several units does not occur

I don't remember exactly how the target system worked in older versions. Just try and compare.
vaut ΣΑ [GN], ru streamer.
Tournaments channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzusNa-54ydodtSz2TdHFww
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about... in 2.1, I could send in a VTOL-bug ahead of my bombers, and it would draw all the SAM fire. I called it, interchangeably, a UAV or a Wild-Weasel.

Now it sounds like I will have to send in a drone-swarm instead... which is fine. They're cheap ;p.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I've read in a few places that the unit amount in the campaign has been capped at 40. I know I liked to hold my army to less than 40 because of the "effects" of going from alpha to beta and beta to gamma, but is this now a hard-enforced rule?
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

No. You might have been reading discussions about changing it back to 40 but the current limit is still 100 units for campaign.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

many thanks.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

1Q, with the series did you play campaign on insane difficulty? That'd be good to see the differences!