All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Re: can't beat alpha 12

Post by alfred007 »

hogwartswarrior wrote: just added both and playing insane difficulty
Insane difficulty is made for really experienced players. Because you are obviously not an experienced player you should try normal or easy difficulty.

Generally, it's not enough in Alpha 12 just to run north in the middle of the map with one combat group. You have to use two or three combat groups. I use one combat group with a python tracked sensor tank and 12 python half-tracked bombards to move north over the ground in the middle. In the second group are 16 python hover lancers attached to an experienced python hover commander. This group runs north at the western edge and moves into the middle northern base to take the factories out. Or you can use one hover bombard groups each in the west and the east and one group with tracked tanks in the middle. Or you find your own way.

A few general hints:
Don't use so many combat units. The experienced you gain is spread over too many units.
Use the strongest body you have. You used the Cobra body in your saved game. This body is too weak. If you think your units are too slow, use the half-tracked instead of the tracked propulsion.
Recycle all the units you don't need anymore.
Build more repair facilities. One repair facility like you used in your saved game is not enough. They have to be short behind your combat group. Facilities in the back that you don't need anymore can be recycled.
To build all these repair facilities use more trucks.
As soon as it's researched use only the Lancer in alpha mission. All other weapons are too weak. Especially the Machine Guns and Medium Cannons you have in your army.

If you need some inspiration read the walkthrough here in the campaign thread or watch some at youtube.
hogwartswarrior
Greenhorn

Post by hogwartswarrior »

any balanaces for this mission planned?
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

hogwartswarrior wrote: any balanaces for this mission planned?
We are working on a completely new balance for the game. Any special changes for this mission are not planned. Try the campaign again with normal or easy difficulty, take care not to lose units and when you're experienced enough I'm sure that you'll beat Alpha 12 with insane difficulty. But you have to train your abilities before you can do that.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Hi

For the benefit of those who are having issues with alpha 12 here are a few hints and tips that should help

First of all Alpha 12 isn't as tricky to complete on insane as you may think but the standard tactic of just steam rolling the opponent wont work here because you just don’t have enough room to manoeuvre and invariably what happens is your retreating units get stuck and killed unfortunately between there defences and the constant zerg from there factories you aren't going to get anywhere trying to brute force your way up the middle so you are going to have to try something else.

So here is what I do

Step 1:
I load my transport with 2 builders 1 experienced commander and 7 experienced lancers with heavy bodies and half tracks, as soon as I land I have my trucks build 2 repair bays, and then call in the rest of my lancers, next I attach my lancers to the commander and I move to the right and wipe out the New Paradigm units and the scanner tower next I get repaired I then push to the right and knock off the 3 lancers towers this may take a couple of attempts and you may get attacked by some hover units from behind either way I will push and retreat as many times as it takes to clear the way so that I can get to the hover artefact I'll then make a run for the hover artefact once collected I'll about face and go back for repair don’t bother messing with the other turrets for now we can deal with them later just grab the artefact and go if you are careful you shouldn’t loose any units but you would be advised to save before hand just in case, this tactic should let you get the hover artefact within the first 10 minutes

Step 2:
Research the hover artefact and construct a squad of hover lancers a commander to lead them and a hover builder each of my squads are usually 18 units once build fly them in and move all the way to the top of the map on the left side leave the original lancer squad at the landing zone on guard so long as you built a couple of repair bays to keep them maintained there attacks shouldn’t kill them.

Once you get to the top of the map you will find a ramp leading up in to the New Paradigms base build a repair bay and then push and retreat up that ramp as many times as is required for you to clear the way then destroy the 2 tank factories and the 2 cyborg factories pushing and retreating for repair as required you should be down to about an hour at this point

Step 3:
Now that the New Paradigm have just lost 4 factories things get a whole lot easier the irritating sneak attacks by there hover units stop and you only need to worry about the units coming done the middle which will be handled automatically by the squad we left at are landing zone.

Next I'll build a couple of squads of hover bombards and fly them in I use 36 of them in 2 team of 18 each squad attached to its own scanner this may sound like over kill but the reality is if you are intending to do a full clear of the map then at least 30 to 40 bombards are required otherwise it simply takes to long to wipe out all there turrets if it wasn't for the fact that bunker busters have such a hard time hitting there turrets I'd use them instead as there faster at destroying bunkers then bombards

Any way next job is to knock out the New Paradigms landing zone things can get a mite tricky here since there isn’t really any clear way to get over to the other side without having to go through there defences normally I go via the area where the hover artefact was since I have already partly removed the defences there so again I will push and retreat until I have removed there remaining defences and I can get over to the other side I'll then go up the right hand side of the map avoiding the defences that run up the middle till I get to there drop zone again I'll construct a repair bay near by and I'll pick off there lancers turrets pushing and retreating as required by now your bombards should be ready so start flying them in.

At this point I systemically sweep the map starting on the left side moving up going round the back of the new paradigm base down the right side removing everything as I go by this point I have probably removed about 90% of there turrets

Step 4:
Push up the middle obliterating anything that the bombards didn’t get at this point you are probably going to be running short of time you may be down to as little 15 to 20 minutes because sweeping the map with your bombards even when you have 30 to 40 of them can take like 30 to 40 minutes plus you have the waiting time involved in building them and flying them in.

Unfortunately there simply isn’t a better and faster way to do this maybe if the bombards got a buff or you where able to use pepper pots or what ever it is that’s stopping bunker busters from effectively hitting there bunkers was fixed you might be able to do it faster but as it stands right now this is about the best you are going to be able to do because there just isn’t a fast and effective way to knock out all there bunkers

Anyway once I have wiped the New Paradigm out I'll leave a single building standing to draw out the time as much as possible then recycle all my units and build 1 squad of 18 lancers with heavy bodies and tracks 1 squad of heavy machine gunners with heavy bodies and tracks plus 2 commanders and 2 builders I'll them make a couple of bug hover heavy machine gunners and send them up to take down the final New Paradigm building and end the level