Other problems with 4.0.0 +

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
budhead57
Rookie
Rookie

Other problems with 4.0.0 +

Post by budhead57 »

chance to hit used to be about 75% but now you lowered it to about 25%. And I really tired of my mortars killing my units, in fact it seems like my mortars are aiming at my units. Something that used to take 5 hits to get killed by my mortar, now takes 20 times since it completely misses 15 times.
themac
Trained
Trained

Re: Other problems with 4.0.0 +

Post by themac »

I also noticed that after the new balancing the mortars are basically useless. :(
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Actually it's not just mortars, the machine-guns, lancers and cannons are also to weak, playing alpha 10 and normally that mission would be no problem but due to the massive nurf to lancers I'm really struggling to stop the new paradigm assault because machine-guns, lancers and cannons don't do sufficient damage against the new paradigm heavy tanks and cyborgs.

now admittedly I'm still running an old master build from feb of 2018 and I'm running the old balance mod from before it got integrated into the game as the current version no longer works on XP but its not to difficult to update the values in the mod to match what the game is using now.

something else that is bugging me is that the structure modifiers have been heavily nurfed as well which is making it incredibly tough to destroy hardened structures with anything other then mortars since against hardened structures lancers for example are only doing 20% damage which means there damage is being reduced by 80% machine-guns are no better at 25% and why machine-guns do more damage to hardened structures than lancers and cannons makes no sense that should be the other way round.

something else that makes no sense is why flamers are doing impact damage when they shouldn't be since flamers are not impact weapons.

I'm also not sure why cannons aren't using the all rounder modifier since cannons should be an effective weapon again any target since they can fire different types of ammo depending on the target so for soft targets hi explosive/incendiary rounds for tanks antitank rounds and for hardened hardened structures and bunkers a bunker buster shell that works exactly the same way as the warhead attached to a bunker buster rocket.

Talking of which why does the cannon have less range than the lancer? the lancer has a range of 9 but the light and medium cannon only a range of 7.5?

I'd also like to know why the hit rate on the mini rocket pod is only 30% which is far to low when the mini rocket pod only does 38 damage per hit yes I know it has a fire rate of like 150 but when its miss rate is 70% only about 45 of those rounds are actually going to hit the target and when you take the targets armour in to account the damage is far to low

also the rate of fire on bunker busters is to low as is the damage bunker busters do against vehicles rendering them completely useless, personally id increase the rate of fire but decrease the structures modifiers proportionately, and I'd increase the damage against vehicles from 33% to 66% yes I know bunker busters aren't supposed to be used on vehicles but at the very least they need to be able to do sufficient damage that they can defend them selves because right now bunker busters can't even fend off scavs much less anything else

also the damage difference between the mortar and the bombard is to low considering how much more expensive the bombard actual is

On alpha 9 the damage of the mortar is 95 damage 11 rounds per minute for a total damage output of 1045 per minute before adjusting for the armour of the target and accuracy

conversely the bombard does 152 damage 7 rounds per minute for a total damage output of 1064 before adjusting for the armour of the target and accuracy

so that's is only an increase of 19 damage per minute before adjusting for the armour of the target and accuracy, which begs the obvious question what is even the point of getting the bombard you would be better to just give an upgrade to the mortar and or give the pepper pot which does the same damage as the mortar but has a faster rate of fire which would increase the damage much more that what you get from the bombard for the same increase in cost.

id also like to know why the range of the mini rocket artillery is so low at 7.5 when even the lowly mortar has a range of 18, admittedly the mini rocket artillery is more powerful but at a range of just 7.5 its largely useless even the lancer has a range of 9 and the machine-gun has a range of 9.4

clearly the balance needs a lot more work because there is still a bunch of things that need adjusting
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Bethrezen wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 01:33 now admittedly I'm still running an old master build from feb of 2018 and I'm running the old balance mod from before it got integrated into the game as the current version no longer works on XP but its not to difficult to update the values in the mod to match what the game is using now.
Unfortunately, there have been core engine fixes that also impact balance (and how stats are handled and applied), so this will continue to diverge - even if you port the stats json files over.

(Also, unfortunately, all the major build toolchains have removed XP targeting support, and even some of WZ's dependencies have dropped XP support. And this pattern is only accelerating.)

If you ever want to try Linux, we have tons of build packages for that though (and they will probably run on your system). For convenience, I'd recommend the Flatpak or Snap (which are self-contained and easy to install).
mirror176
New user

Post by mirror176 »

As a FreeBSD user, I agree that there are alternatives for those not wanting to use a newer copy of Windows for various reasons. On here it just takes a `pkg install warzone2100` on a system with properly working GUI to be ready to play though downloading the cutscenes still needs to be done as a separate manual step if wanting them. If you are on XP, there is a good chance that 32bit x86 hardware is in use. Many Linux distributions have dropped support for that and FreeBSD is going through its stages to lower its grade of being a supported platform; to continue on an unsupported system means 1. you probably have to compile stuff yourself, 2. may find bugs with the OS and tools on it with less help getting them fixed. At least on FreeBSD, building things yourself is easy, but time consuming (with tricks to often help speed it up). If you try to migrate after a distribution drops x86 support, you will need to use an older distro and begin manually building your own upgrades to use something more up to date.