How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derricks?

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Which solution do you like the most?

Poll ended at 09 Mar 2012, 14:31

Allow trucks to take over enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) by continuing building from where the enemy trucks left off, and finishing them up. (May only work if no enemy trucks are currently working on building the structure.)
14%
Allow trucks to demolish enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) while no enemy trucks are working on them. (The rate at when they're demolished may be reduced for enemy structures.)
9%
Reducing the time that oil wells burn in proportion to how complete the derrick was upon destruction (meaning that, if the derrick was only slightly built, then the well would be on fire for like only 1 second).
18%
Only set the well on fire if the derrick was already completed when it was destroyed.
17%
Give trucks the ability to capture enemy structures, including derricks, regardless of how complete they are (similar to NEXUS Link Turrets, though probably much less powerful).
5%
Have incomplete structures decay (auto-demolish), and eventually disappear, over time if they're not being worked on. (For Oil Derricks, they would not cause the well to catch on fire upon disappearing.)
14%
Add a price to Oil Derricks.
12%
Other. (Please explain.)
6%
This shouldn't be fixed at all!
5%

Total votes: 65

Emdek
Regular
Regular

Re: How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derri

Post by Emdek »

effigy, right, that is true that my idea come from not correct interpretation, but input from others helps unleash more creativity (as that last idea shaped and got more detailed dues to questions from NoQ). ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

By the way, any way you fix it, at least make it so I can GIVE the order to build while it's burning, but the truck will EXECUTE the order only after it stopped (If it's not too hard), because this is really annoying to me.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

iap, yeah, I hate that i can't put that into orders queue. :-)

NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

iap wrote:By the way, any way you fix it, at least make it so I can GIVE the order to build while it's burning, but the truck will EXECUTE the order only after it stopped (If it's not too hard), because this is really annoying to me.
+1 (:

So what if two trucks of different players stand near the oil waiting when it stops burning?
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

I think that in that case (with orders queue) it also should simply wait, to not make things too complicated (read as: prone to bugs).

iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

NoQ wrote:
iap wrote:By the way, any way you fix it, at least make it so I can GIVE the order to build while it's burning, but the truck will EXECUTE the order only after it stopped (If it's not too hard), because this is really annoying to me.
+1 (:

So what if two trucks of different players stand near the oil waiting when it stops burning?
Oh, then just whoever give the first order wins. And then it would make some players angry, and they open a thread about fixing it, but by then the game will get to beta 7 or 8, and this is PLENTY of time to play with giving orders to burning derrick :)
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Not always that must be the same as the one who clicked first, it depends on other factors, like mostly proximity. ;-)

effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

iap wrote:
NoQ wrote:
+1 (:

Oh, then just whoever give the first order wins. And then it would make some players angry, and they open a thread about fixing it, but by then the game will get to beta 7 or 8, and this is PLENTY of time to play with giving orders to burning derrick :)
I like this :-)
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

AIs often suffer from trying to build on a burning derrick, only to find they can't and then they move their trucks to do something else and lose the derrick. So allowing trucks to wait until burning stops and then automatically start building (on first come, first served basis) would help make AIs much more effective. (And it would be less annoying for humans too - I always get annoyed waiting for the burning to stop before reissuing the build order).
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

@aubergine its OK if you annoyed when enemy destoyed your derricks :)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

on first come, first served basis
Yeah, that. First *come*, not first *ordered*.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

NoQ, exactly, I've meant the same above. ;-)

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

"First arrived, first served" will be clearest description :)

And I don't mind if enemy destroys my derricks and gets their truck there before me to build a new one. That happens in game already, it's my fault not theirs that I didn't get my trucks to the derrick soon enough.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

+1 from me as well, even though that might not be a valid "other" solution for this poll. :wink:

Edit: Beta 5 is out. The developers have decided to reduce burn time based upon how complete the Oil Derrick was when it's destroyed. This poll will be closed for now.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:...

Edit: Beta 5 is out. The developers have decided to reduce burn time based upon how complete the Oil Derrick was when it's destroyed. This poll will be closed for now.
That's just a quick change (probably the least controversial part of all suggested changes), while wondering what else should be changed. Changing burn time doens't mean nothing else can be changed.