How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derricks?

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Which solution do you like the most?

Poll ended at 09 Mar 2012, 14:31

Allow trucks to take over enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) by continuing building from where the enemy trucks left off, and finishing them up. (May only work if no enemy trucks are currently working on building the structure.)
14%
Allow trucks to demolish enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) while no enemy trucks are working on them. (The rate at when they're demolished may be reduced for enemy structures.)
9%
Reducing the time that oil wells burn in proportion to how complete the derrick was upon destruction (meaning that, if the derrick was only slightly built, then the well would be on fire for like only 1 second).
18%
Only set the well on fire if the derrick was already completed when it was destroyed.
17%
Give trucks the ability to capture enemy structures, including derricks, regardless of how complete they are (similar to NEXUS Link Turrets, though probably much less powerful).
5%
Have incomplete structures decay (auto-demolish), and eventually disappear, over time if they're not being worked on. (For Oil Derricks, they would not cause the well to catch on fire upon disappearing.)
14%
Add a price to Oil Derricks.
12%
Other. (Please explain.)
6%
This shouldn't be fixed at all!
5%

Total votes: 65

Emdek
Regular
Regular

Re: How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derri

Post by Emdek »

JDW, this is not really new one, this is what I've proposed but without take over delay (as delay to be able to continue completing it after previous player lefts). ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Emdek wrote:JDW, this is not really new one, this is what I've proposed but without take over delay (as delay to be able to continue completing it after previous player lefts). ;-)
I didn't say it is new, I meant it was another possible solution to what I was almost comfortable with before. :wink:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

@ anyone who's been voting to not fix this: Personally, the main reason why I've been participating in this debate was because being able to deny access to oil wells by building partially-completed derricks seemed to me like it was making the strategy of truck-rushing, in an attempt to secure as many oil wells as possible, and to deny as many from their opponents as possible, to be the ONLY viable strategy in the 1st couple minutes into the match. Because of that, I felt that it was acting as an obstacle towards making Warzone 2100 more enjoyable for newbies (which we all were at some point earlier in each of our lifetimes) as well as pros than it would've otherwise, and that fixing it would also promote more diversity in terms of strategies to employ within the 1st few minutes, thus making it more attractive towards potential newcomers and pros alike. If you oppose fixing this, then I'd probably feel like you're being overly elitist in your attitudes. :stare:
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

There's nothing about opposition to this that's anti-noob... at worst it's sneaky. You might as well argue you shouldn't sneak a truck behind enemy lines a build a few borg factories with intentions of attacking from behind while your opponent is clearly out of his base.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Predator
New user

Post by Predator »

The usage of half-builds is clearly a strategy. There is nothing wrong with them and just because people complain doesn't mean the whole game should be changed with pricing of derricks, burn time, and derrick neutrality. Changing half-Builds will revamp Warzone and i don't think i will be for the better because the intensity of a low oil match is to grab oil first come first serve and it will always be like that anyway.
Predator
New user

Post by Predator »

I feel that doing this is a travesty. Why change the whole way low oil works just to please a few complainers. They are only mad because they couldn't think of it first. Warzone has been like that for a long time and it never bothered anyone until now for some reason. The noobs can learn to use this strategy and if they get mad and leave then they aren't will to get any better
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

effigy: +1
Also known as Subsentient.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:@ anyone who's been voting to not fix this: Personally, the main reason why I've been participating in this debate was because being able to deny access to oil wells by building partially-completed derricks seemed to me like it was making the strategy of truck-rushing, in an attempt to secure as many oil wells as possible, and to deny as many from their opponents as possible, to be the ONLY viable strategy in the 1st couple minutes into the match. Because of that, I felt that it was acting as an obstacle towards making Warzone 2100 more enjoyable for newbies (which we all were at some point earlier in each of our lifetimes) as well as pros than it would've otherwise, and that fixing it would also promote more diversity in terms of strategies to employ within the 1st few minutes, thus making it more attractive towards potential newcomers and pros alike. If you oppose fixing this, then I'd probably feel like you're being overly elitist in your attitudes. :stare:
Shadow: the game is not meant to be just as easy for a first day as it is a first decade, but here's the thing: "Elitists" don't want it fixed because they enjoy using it on other elitists. Play people your level. That's all I gotta say. I feel bad murdering a noob and usually spare them for no reason. Don't take our desire for preserving the game as greed.
Also known as Subsentient.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Play people your level.
I'd rather say "play people higher than your level and don't play people lower than your level", even though it's kind of contradictory (:
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

each anti-noob stuff makes Warzone less popular, and when i see few "old" players which refuse any changes i see WZ as game without future..
so goal of my own suggestions was to make warzone more clear, and involve people in warzone more often
- remove 1%-build derricks as game tactics
- show research level on enemy units (to notice player if he was over researched)
- show locations of oil derricks on mini-map (find oil makes players angry, even Cyp was anger when he could not find his oil :P )
player who knows oil locations gets great advantage
- adjust propulsions (improve wheels, tracks) and some bodies to make more components usable
- show more droid stats in design
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

You seem to have forgotten one more thing:
- bring back unit preview in client list
:roll:
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

NoQ wrote:You seem to have forgotten one more thing:
- bring back unit preview in client list
:roll:
it is another stuff unaviable for noobs, with unit preview game vs noob become much more easier :)
i remember you wanted more competitive games, so from 50 noobs you can grow up 1 good player or more
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

it is another stuff unaviable for noobs
By the time you care about it, you already know about it, i think. But playing without preview is harder than with preview (requires extra scouting etc.)
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

How about this: 1. determine "base oil", i.e. usually uncontested oil wells, by derricks from advanced bases, or otherwise marking them in the map file 2. have a "no oil rush" option that, when activated, puts some kind of cap feature on every other oil well that has to be destroyed before being able to build a derrick.

So oil rush fans can have their manic click fest, and those who don't like that can have a more relaxed start.
We want information... information... information.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

cybersphinx, I would like something like this (but more options) using mutators concept from UT (allow scripts to determine such behaviors).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.