Command center

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Do you like the change implemented in ticket #3055?

Yeah
12%
Nay
88%

Total votes: 25

lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Command center

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ok, fine. then why was the UAV mentioned. they should not come into play until being researched. command center should have the same abilities it had since day one. why change it?
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I think UAV is a StarCraft reference.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

perhaps... but , here is a good reference. for future discussions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_aerial_vehicle
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Since 599dddf05bd674b7f1cb253a316268ee62b1fca8 you can make a mod to turn the old behaviour back on, if you wish. All you need to do is change on line in rules.js (change "//setDesign(false);" to "setDesign(false);").

However, after doing some playtesting, I do not really see the point.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Per wrote:Since 599dddf05bd674b7f1cb253a316268ee62b1fca8 you can make a mod to turn the old behaviour back on, if you wish.
Why even bother to have a poll?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

changes for changes sake??? because they can? isn't totally clear.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Why even bother to have a poll?
Dunno, just looked funny at the first glance ...
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

:idea: brainstorming :idea:

How about giving the Command Center some lazsat (laser satellite targetting) ability? But to a much lesser extent, probably just able to take out a oil derrick. And with a much greater timer than 5 mins, say, 15-20 mins?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

JDW wrote:How about giving the Command Center some lazsat (laser satellite targetting) ability? But to a much lesser extent, probably just able to take out a oil derrick. And with a much greater timer than 5 mins, say, 15-20 mins?
Some 'tug of war' type games have defending unit/structure with a 'nuke' ability that can only be used once per game, and only within a short range. This is used to fend off the first big wave of attackers that would kill you, to make the game longer.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Putting some weapons on CC to make it a defensive structure was discussed long ago, i think, and it sounds like fun, i admit it (:
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

NoQ wrote:Putting some weapons on CC to make it a defensive structure was discussed long ago, i think, and it sounds like fun, i admit it (:
Yeah, sure was, I think there was a model or just a mockup in the wiki, Elio's design I think.

EDIT : But what I was suggesting was more like a Click on CC -> Click on enemy, KABOOM , or rather kaaboom .

I can imagine players rushing to take out the opponents CC and making it a high priority.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Possibly off-topic, but I just posted an idea for "territory mode" which could give new meaning to CC and CRC.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

In terms of weapons on CC, why not give it 4 turret slots and allow the user to choose what to install in turrets?

When first built, the 4 CC turret slots would contain MGs. This will help against early rushes to some extent.

As the player researches new turrets, they can choose to install different weapons in the CC. For example, once Hurricane becomes available I might decide to install 4 Hurricane AA turrets on the CC. Or once I have pulse lasers, I might choose to install those instead. Basically, any weapon or system turret that can go on a tank could be installed on the CC. I could even install 4 trucks on a CC, meaning that it could repair nearby buildings heh.

With the CC being so tall, I'd also argue that the turrets get a range boost - possibly 50% extra range?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Nevermind what I said about the CC getting the properties of all the other sensor towers (as they're researched) This would be especially problematic with CB. During an arty battle it's often necessary to demo any CB towers while you're [re]building your arty.

I'm thinking more and more that giving the mini map at game start would be ok, and beneficial in late game when VTOL are bombing everything or post-base-destruction. Also, merging CC with CRC doesn't really effect gameplay, aside for saving some space. So, I'd like to see both of these happen for CC with the exception that when the player is without their CC (or CC+CRC) there are no radar blips on the mini-map, new units can't be designed, and any units assigned to a commander become unassigned.

Having built a CC should also provide the ability to see what units the other players are making in the Intel menu. Currently in the master builds (and has been for some time) you can only see your opponents units here when they are in sensor range (by contract previous 2.x versions allowed gave a constant feed of everyone's most recent unit produced). I'd like the Intel menu to remember the last unit spotted.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

effigy wrote: So, I'd like to see both of these happen for CC with the exception that when the player is without their CC (or CC+CRC) there are no radar blips on the mini-map, new units can't be designed, and any units assigned to a commander become unassigned.
if you have no command center ( it hasnt been built yet or it has been destroyed) you have no minimap. the command center gives you that when it is built. and that is the way it should be.