Just noticed turret rotation speed is missing from game

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Just noticed turret rotation speed is missing from game

Post by MIH-XTC »

I was thinking it would be nice to vary the rotation speed of the turrets.

Then I realized turret rotation speed has been missing from the game because the weight/engine ratio's are occuring at the wrong scale.

By multiplying engine output and turret weights by 20, the turrets rotate much slower without impacting overall droid speeds

I don't think the turrets were ever supposed to do 360 rotations in like 2 seconds, it's not realistic.

This makes for a new balance effect on cannon vs mg vs rocket that hasn't been seen before.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Just noticed turret rotation speed is missing from game

Post by Berg »

the cannon bastion rotates slowly hovers can outrun its turn
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Re: Just noticed turret rotation speed is missing from game

Post by MIH-XTC »

^^ yea that's where I got the idea from but the fortress turrets weigh 100,000 - 200,000 whereas all other turrets are in the 1,000 - 4,000 range

In order to make turrets rotate slower, they need to weigh around 100,000 - 150,000 but given the current engine outputs that would make droids so slow they're basically immobile. It just requires rescaling all of the weights and engine outputs so that turrets are in the 100,000 range without effecting droid speeds.

On a side note, it seems turret weight overflows somewhere around 250,000. There's some upper threshold where the weight is zero'd out and the turret moves as if it has weight 0.

I tested this out with Heavy Cannon Hover and it nerfed Heavy Cannon big time. Half the time the cannon didn't even fire at the enemy because the turret was constantly changing between targets and moved too slow before it could lock on. This would require careful attention to implement.