Duplicate rooms on lobby server

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Duplicate rooms on lobby server

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Why does the lobby server create duplicate games? I deleted all my firewall rules and the lobby server still creates duplicates. I notice this happens when a player with a bad connection tries to join and lags the room, the room then duplicates itself on the lobby server even though there is only one room. If there is something I can do to prevent this from happening please let me know.
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Re: Duplicate rooms on lobby server

Post by Andrie »

My WarZone all so dose it. :roll: :annoyed:
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Yes I've seen duplicate rooms for other hosts also, both ver 2.3.9 and 3.1 beta 11. Is there something that can be done to fix this? When it happens to me I have only one game running, and the lobby server may show 2 or 3, sometimes up to about 10 rooms all for the same game room.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

If that happens, then the lobby isn't getting the disconnect response from the client for some reason.
There is a timeout period that the server does for games...

As for doing more checks, I suppose we can limit the games to one game per IP address. :hmm:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

vexed wrote:If that happens, then the lobby isn't getting the disconnect response from the client for some reason.
There is a timeout period that the server does for games...
Ok but I’m not disconnecting from the server so there won’t be a tcp reset. So then maybe its the timeout period? When the game is hosted it gets a ID. As players are joining the room, the server will create several more rooms. All the rooms point to the one game I’m hosting so I’m told by the players. Since I’m only hosting one instance of the game I assume all the rooms have the same ID. My ping to the lobby server is always 170 ms.

The problem is more prevalent with 2.3.9. What happens when a client joins with a really bad ping is the room will have a temporary freeze. When that happens the room on the lobby server then recreates itself. (seen up to 10 rooms for the same game) If the connection is bad enough it will crash the room.

What happens with bad pings in 3.1 beta 11 the room does not crash, nor does it feel laggy but the room may duplicate itself on the server. (seen up to 3 rooms for the same game)

When I say bad ping its ??? or *. But more often its clients that connect for a short time and flood me with a bunch of lost packets / retransmits and I don’t see their ping before they drop. And then they try connecting again, and again, and....

When a player does connect long enough I ask them to bring their ping down. Some are able to reduce their really bad ping to 100ms. And they tell me the many things they turned off. There is not much a host can do to prevent clients from connecting that have their bandwidth tied up with other internet activities. If you can somehow make the lobby server not duplicate the rooms that would be great.

Sorry for the long explanation, but just wanted to make it clear that the duplicate rooms are not a result of rehosting. They are the result of hosting the game one time.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Actually, you are disconnecting, and reconnecting each time a player joins.
The code isn't sane yet.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.