dev-c++ help me please :(

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
gbenanti
Greenhorn

dev-c++ help me please :(

Post by gbenanti »

Hi there, I am trying to study the warzone source code, I am using dev-c++ for this, I have always the same result:
480 C:\Documents and Settings\gaetano\Documenti\miei_progetti\programmi_devc\warzone2100-2.0.7\win32\devcpp\Makefile.win [Warning] overriding commands for target `../devcpp/piestate.o'

453 C:\Documents and Settings\gaetano\Documenti\miei_progetti\programmi_devc\warzone2100-2.0.7\win32\devcpp\Makefile.win [Warning] ignoring old commands for target `../devcpp/piestate.o'

C:\Documents and Settings\gaetano\Documenti\miei_progetti\programmi_devc\warzone2100-2.0.7\src\arrow.c In function 'BOOL arrowAdd(SDWORD, SDWORD, SDWORD, SDWORD, SDWORD, SDWORD, UBYTE)':

81 C:\Documents and Settings\gaetano\Documenti\miei_progetti\programmi_devc\warzone2100-2.0.7\src\arrow.c invalid conversion from 'void*' to 'void**'

81 C:\Documents and Settings\gaetano\Documenti\miei_progetti\programmi_devc\warzone2100-2.0.7\src\arrow.c  initializing argument 2 of 'BOOL heapAlloc(OBJ_HEAP*, void**)'

C:\Documents and Settings\gaetano\Documenti\miei_progetti\programmi_devc\warzone2100-2.0.7\win32\devcpp\Makefile.win [Build Error]  [../devcpp/arrow.o] Error 1

I have read the documentation and I have used the MinGW developer's package but I can't understand where I have wrong.
Someone may help me?
Thanks a lot.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Re: dev-c++ help me please :(

Post by Giel »

If your really interested in the source code you might want to try the current development trunk as its hosted in our Subversion repository:  http://svn.gna.org/svn/warzone/trunk/
You can also get a daily snapshot from this development trunk. There we do have some project files (one for Code::Blocks is available, none for Dev-C++ though).

As for the errors you are getting, thanks for reminding me why I've quit using DevC++. Since these errors qualify as (close to) useless. As for the conversion from void* to void** thingy. You might be trying to compile as C++, while you really need to compile as C.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Use Code::Blocks. Dev-C++ isn't in active development anymore.
And if you wan't to use C::B, use the nightly builds!

http://forums.codeblocks.org/http://loc ... .php?f=0.0
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
gbenanti
Greenhorn

Post by gbenanti »

Thank a lot for the notice, I have download C::B nightly builds, it seems work.
As compiler I use the GCC compiler, when I build the source code starts many errors, I think that the reason is that the library of the mingw devpak are not linked, but I don't konow how to link them.
Kamaze wrote: Use Code::Blocks. Dev-C++ isn't in active development anymore.
And if you wan't to use C::B, use the nightly builds!

http://forums.codeblocks.org/http://loc ... .php?f=0.0
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

right-click on project name->build options->find the 'compiler option' and set it to 'linker options',
then you can specify library's non-relative locations via the button 'add' on the left,or ask CB to look for library in path registered in PATH via adding textual options in the text field on the right.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
gbenanti
Greenhorn

Post by gbenanti »

Ok I have got the linker option and I have try to build the code, all is ok eccept this error:
"C:\Documents and Settings\gaetano.benanti\Desktop\warzone2100-2.0.7\warzone2100-2.0.7\lib\script\stack.c:34: script_parser.tab.h: No such file or directory" I have search for script_parser.tab.h but I can't find it. :-\
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

These are generated files. You need both GNU Bison and GNU Flex installed to use these (make sure that the installation directory is in your %PATH%).
gbenanti
Greenhorn

Post by gbenanti »

I did it and the problem is gone but an othe is come, now I can't find the include windows.h and chat_parser.y.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

gbenanti wrote: I did it and the problem is gone but an othe is come, now I can't find the include windows.h and chat_parser.y.
Please paste the exact errors here. (You can copy them in Code::Blocks from the "Build log" tab on the bottom).

As for windows.h you need to make sure that you have the Windows API installed in your MinGW directory.

Although I believe that the MinGW installer installs it automatically.
gbenanti
Greenhorn

Post by gbenanti »

Ok thank for the help :).
First of all I have try to compile with dev c++, after I have try to compile with c::b and mingw and also with microsoft visual c++ express with the comple of the SDK platform.
With microsoft visual c++ express I have the problem posted before (can't find windows.h etc.)
The error with c::b is the follow:

:: === Warzone2100, Debug Win32 ===
C:\wz_svn\lib\framework\configfile.c:24: error: physfs.h: No such file or directory
C:\wz_svn\lib\framework\configfile.c:: In function 'registry_load':
C:\wz_svn\lib\framework\configfile.c:183: warning: implicit declaration of function 'PHYSFS_exists'
:: === Build finished: 1 errors, 1 warnings ===

For every enviroment I have use the file Warzone2100.vcproj
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

gbenanti wrote: ...
C:\wz_svn\lib\framework\configfile.c:24: error: physfs.h: No such file or directory
You need the MinGW developer's package from our download page.
gbenanti wrote: For every enviroment I have use the file Warzone2100.vcproj
For Code::Blocks you can just use the warzone2100.cbp file. Although it does require some modifications for compiling on Windows. The attached file is modified to work on Windows. Make sure to put it in the root directory of your checkout; something like "C:\wz_svn\warzone2100.cbp".

You will still need to add two directories though (for the above developer package). I'll assume for now that you've extracted the developer package as "C:\devpkg" so modify the paths here accordingly.
To add the directories of the developer package (after opening the project file) go to "Project"->"Build options". There select in the list on the "Warzone 2100" (the one above "Debug" and "Release"). Then use one of the drop-down boxes to select "Search directories", then select the tab "Compiler" and choose "Add" then add the "include" directory of the developer package: "C:\devpkg\include". Now select the tab "Linker" and add the "lib" directory "C:\devpkg\lib".

That should do the trick.
Depending on your windres version you might still have a compile error though in the file "win32/warzone2100.rc". You can probably fix this by modifying the last line from:

Code: Select all

2 ICON "warzone2100.ico"
to:

Code: Select all

2 ICON "win32/warzone2100.ico"
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

I would recommend everyone NOT to use C:B to compile warzone or any other source under windows,basically compiling warzone with C:B under windows is asking for troubles,since C:B is very unstable(not the application itself,but the compatibilities),even veterans shy away from the weird errors caused by C:B.

You'd better use either one of the 2 methods(msys+mingw or MSVC) described in wiki,though the first one(msys+mingw) is alot easier than the MSVC one if you followed the steps carefully enough.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Watermelon wrote: I would recommend everyone NOT to use C:B to compile warzone or any other source under windows,basically compiling warzone with C:B under windows is asking for troubles,since C:B is very unstable(not the application itself,but the compatibilities),even veterans shy away from the weird errors caused by C:B.

You'd better use either one of the 2 methods(msys+mingw or MSVC) described in wiki,though the first one(msys+mingw) is alot easier than the MSVC one if you followed the steps carefully enough.
I don't get it. C::B is just an IDE which uses an external compiler for example the MinGW GCC set.
Why should it create weired errors on windows?
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Watermelon, just that *you* have trouble getting Code::Blocks to work doesn't mean it's bad.
In fact I find it much easier to work with than the autoconf/automake system combined with MSYS or Cygwin.

And unlike the raw makefiles C::B gives me dependency tracking.