How do trucks build from a distance?

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Isotope
New user

How do trucks build from a distance?

Post by Isotope »

Hi

I have played a few MP games, where trucks had the ability to construct buildings, from a distance much greater than normal range? Has anyone else come across this, and how do you enable that? I'm not interested if it's just a cheat, but thought I might have missed something in the manual?

Had a look for an earlier post of this, as I was sure someone else would have asked before, but couldn't find anything.

Any replies would be welcomed,

Thanks
TonyTheSlayer
Trained
Trained

Re: How do trucks build from a distance?

Post by TonyTheSlayer »

I believe this is a bug in sync.
Isotope
New user

Post by Isotope »

Hi TonyTheSlayer,

Thanks for such a speedy response.

I'm not too sure what 'sync' means in this context? What's the difference from a normal programming 'bug', to a 'bug in sync'?

It's just that I've seen this three or four times, in different games, and thought it was offering my ally, ( in this case ) a huge tactical advantage, which would be extremely useful in combat, had it been available legitimately!

Thanks
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

The game is runned simultaneously on every computer. As you give orders there is small delays wich lead to small differences between what we can call "alternate reallity". In most game if you look carefully you will see lots of unexplainable things. Sometime you will see units that explode while it's another one that is fired or after the fight instead of during the fight.

If in his alternate reallity the truck of your teammate is arrived, the building animation will start even if in your reallity his truck bumped into a wall of another unit.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

In fact, AFAIK, the old netcode used in 2.3* doesn't transmit truck building orders over the network at all. So you see buildings built instantly with one truck, and other visual glitches like this.
Isotope
New user

Post by Isotope »

Ok Guys,

Thanks very much for the taking the time to respond, and for your explanations.

Cheers!
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

Isotope wrote:where trucks had the ability to construct buildings, from a distance much greater than normal range?
would be great if all the trucks could build in a longer distance (eg, three squares). Maybe someday someone can create a mod like this or even the Project Warzone could do that, but meanwhile, our trucks will remain stuck in one or two squares! :...:
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Bruno Rodolfo wrote:
Isotope wrote:where trucks had the ability to construct buildings, from a distance much greater than normal range?
would be great if all the trucks could build in a longer distance (eg, three squares). Maybe someday someone can create a mod like this or even the Project Warzone could do that, but meanwhile, our trucks will remain stuck in one or two squares! :...:
Well I just get sick of having my trucks get stuck in between buildings. I have to cue them to build a row, go somewhere out of the way, and then come back and build the second. Even then, trucks can get stuck because they swivel around into the build path and get stuck when the others start construction.
Also known as Subsentient.
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

options could be to build one, three and four blocks away
wz2100-20111102_190220-newarizonamao-T1.png
wz2100-20111102_190220-newarizonamao-T1.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Bruno Rodolfo wrote:options could be to build one, three and four blocks away
wz2100-20111102_190220-newarizonamao-T1.png
That's an intriguing idea... maybe with a construction speed penalty for the truck being further away than normal?

Not sure how useful that would be, though.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241