mouse pointer problems

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
TazgodX
New user

mouse pointer problems

Post by TazgodX »

when opening WZ fullscreen, my mouse is offset from where its actually activating buttons. like the whole screen is moved down, but the button activations are still up. when in windowed mode its ok, but i perfer to play fullscreen

thanks for any help

P.S. i use to LOVE this game, and glad its back....Thanks for that too!!!
Ryo
Trained
Trained

Re: mouse pointer problems

Post by Ryo »

Hm had the same Problem with 2.0.7 playing with --resolution 1024x768
I deleted the config-file, after this it works fine in all resolutions.

Greets Ryo
TazgodX
New user

Post by TazgodX »

hmm, im not seeing any config file
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

its most likly in your wz folder with the .cfg extention

and the pointer problem ive been having lately is ill click on a selection in the command menu.. research menu or build menu and the clicking dont respond.. and even at times will click the ground behind the menu and tell units to go there..

ive learned to right click every time i go to a menu to prevent it from hppening again but in a vs human game when clicks count id figure it would be a rather nasty annoyance.
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

DFStormbringer wrote: its most likly in your wz folder with the .cfg extention
Nope it's called exactly that "config" (i.e. without any extension). Also it doesn't reside in the same direction as your warzone installation.
On GNU/Linux (think Mac as well) it's in your ~/.warzone2100/ directory, on Windows it's in your My Documents\Warzone 2100 directory.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Thraka
Greenhorn

Post by Thraka »

I have the same issue
deleting the config for me didn't work.

any other suggestions?
Mechrior
New user

Post by Mechrior »

hey I am having similar problems but also it wont go true fullscreen i always seem to have a space down the right hand side where i can see the desktop......
running:
3.2ghz
1gb ram
Nvidia FX 5500 256mb
OvermindDL1
Trained
Trained

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Yes, I know this is an old topic, however I have seen no resolutions on going through the topics up to the date of this thread and I have this exact issue with the latest version (downloaded two hours ago).  I have deleted the config file in the warzone2100 in my documents (which of course was *NOT* fun at first since the game would originally just disappear less then a second after launch, due to not having permissions to that directory, who's bright idea was it to write something to a directory that is reserved for personal use, not program use, either way, after I figured out that little bug fix...), which changed nothing.  I have tried a myriad of resolutions and aspect ratio's, no change.  However, running in windowed mode (at the multiple resolutions I tried) works fine (however scrolling around in windowed mode is not too fun, so would prefer fullscreen).

Any thoughts on why this occurs?  Could it be due to the fact that the system is expecting a title bar at the top of the screen and thus is expecting an offset that does not exist, because I do notice a light blue bar at the top of the fullscreen game window, the height equal to that of a title bar it seems, whereas if that did not exist and the game screen was pushed up to fill that then it would be perfectly aligned.  Also interesting to note that any open source game issue I run into, the engine they are using is always SDL...
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

OvermindDL1 wrote: Yes, I know this is an old topic, however I have seen no resolutions on going through the topics up to the date of this thread and I have this exact issue with the latest version (downloaded two hours ago).  I have deleted the config file in the warzone2100 in my documents (which of course was *NOT* fun at first since the game would originally just disappear less then a second after launch, due to not having permissions to that directory, who's bright idea was it to write something to a directory that is reserved for personal use, not program use, either way, after I figured out that little bug fix...), which changed nothing.  I have tried a myriad of resolutions and aspect ratio's, no change.  However, running in windowed mode (at the multiple resolutions I tried) works fine (however scrolling around in windowed mode is not too fun, so would prefer fullscreen).

Any thoughts on why this occurs?  Could it be due to the fact that the system is expecting a title bar at the top of the screen and thus is expecting an offset that does not exist, because I do notice a light blue bar at the top of the fullscreen game window, the height equal to that of a title bar it seems, whereas if that did not exist and the game screen was pushed up to fill that then it would be perfectly aligned.  Also interesting to note that any open source game issue I run into, the engine they are using is always SDL...
I take it your running 2.0.8 then?

For the config directory, right now, it is doing:
SHGetFolderPathA( NULL, CSIDL_PERSONAL|CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE, NULL, SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT, tmpstr )
I did a patch for it to use any directory the user specifies, but that won't help you.

As for your main problem, dunno what to say really,  I just can't duplicate this issue.  The only thing really different is I have a Nvidia based card.
Also of note, if you do get the time to compile the latest version yourself (trunk version off the SVN), it may have been fixed.  It also has some other features you may like, like the pointer is 'locked' into the window if you specify that option in the config file, or via the GUI menu.    It also has other fixes, but I won't get into that in this thread.
and it ends here.
OvermindDL1
Trained
Trained

Post by OvermindDL1 »

I did run through multiple resolutions again, I do confirm I do get a solid light blue bar at the top of the fullscreen window the size of a titlebar on my system.  Mouse-clicks seem to register that height worth below the actual mouse click position.  The 3d screen itself does not actually seem offset, the top of the 3d window (comparing with my actual wz2100 isntall) is right below the light-blue bar, the bottom is at the bottom of the screen, so my screen resolution will be what it should, but the 3d portion of the game seems to be running it not quite as high.  Are you creating the window yourself and passing SDL the handle, or letting SDL do it in full?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

OvermindDL1 wrote: I did run through multiple resolutions again, I do confirm I do get a solid light blue bar at the top of the fullscreen window the size of a titlebar on my system.  Mouse-clicks seem to register that height worth below the actual mouse click position.  The 3d screen itself does not actually seem offset, the top of the 3d window (comparing with my actual wz2100 isntall) is right below the light-blue bar, the bottom is at the bottom of the screen, so my screen resolution will be what it should, but the 3d portion of the game seems to be running it not quite as high.  Are you creating the window yourself and passing SDL the handle, or letting SDL do it in full?
SDL handles everything.  From windows/fullscreen to keyboard & mouse.
and it ends here.
OvermindDL1
Trained
Trained

Post by OvermindDL1 »

It does keyboard mouse fine, but as I recall I had issues with proper fullscreen setup on it (something about not setting the context correctly, if I get this compiled will test to see if I can fix the mouse issue as it really does make it unplayable).
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

OvermindDL1 wrote: which of course was *NOT* fun at first since the game would originally just disappear less then a second after launch, due to not having permissions to that directory, who's bright idea was it to write something to a directory that is reserved for personal use, not program use, either way, after I figured out that little bug fix...
Try Microsoft's. Several of their games (Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations to name but two) stored their stuff in My Documents/My Games/. I believe Westwood also kept their user data in My Documents for several of their games.

In-fact Microsoft seem to be quite big fans of keeping settings in Documents folders. Office for Mac (2004) creates a folder "Microsoft User Data" in the Documents folder (~= My Documents). Just following their lead.

Shoving it in app data would make it a pain for user to edit the config file (although one should not have to do this nowadays) and to install mods/maps.
however scrolling around in windowed mode is not too fun, so would prefer fullscreen
This is fixed in the latest trunk revision. There is now an option to trap the cursor to the window when the game running (ie, not paused or in the main menu).
Also interesting to note that any open source game issue I run into, the engine they are using is always SDL...
If other games using SDL have been causing you problems then it is most likely your problem and not SDLs. SDL is used by countless games (commercial, open source and freeware) with almost no problems. Logic would therefore dictate the problem is most likely to do with your specific set up as opposed to SDL. However that does not negate the possibility that it is SDLs fault, just seems a less likely.

Regards, Freddie.
OvermindDL1
Trained
Trained

Post by OvermindDL1 »

What is the point of putting program data in my documents, considering that 'my documents' implies it is for user use only, not programs, and %APPDATA% is for application data, hence the name.  It is a well defined pattern, I use it, I also use *nix/bsd's pattern on their system, why break it?  Sorry, that just bugs me, My Documents is sacred, it shall not be touched by programs, hence why it is security permission locked to apps, have not had any real issues with it to date though (and actually I redirected the calls from wz2100 from it to to another drive, so it still does not touch it, just far more of a hassle since it does not respect %APPDATA%).

Map and mod installation should be supported from both installing to the install directory itself (to be shared by all users), or to the proper %APPDATA% directory (for single-user install).  It looks like that your virtual filesystem should support that just fine, as long as you have it setup like that.  Most people would probably just install it to the installation directory anyway.

Will try to compile the trunk.  I attempted to download the pre-compiled one from that one stickied thread and all it does is crash upon app launch (apparently that is a common occurance with that one according to the thread).

And SDL problems have not always been my own, everyone else I work with has had issues with it as well, on a vast variety of different hardware (one of which is interesting, causes his main computer to hard-lock when SDL unloads, fully repeatable, thankfully I have had nothing that serious).
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

And SDL problems have not always been my own, everyone else I work with has had issues with it as well
I highly recommend that you file bug reports on the issues you have been having: http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/ . It is the only way they will ever get fixed.
One of which is interesting, causes his main computer to hard-lock when SDL unloads, fully repeatable, thankfully I have had nothing that serious
That is without a doubt an OS issue. It should not be possible for *any* user space application to cause a hard lock. No ifs, no buts. Sure SDL might be doing something it shouldn't be, but the worst that should happen is that an error report dialog should come up.

Regards, Freddie.