Units order respond time is too long.

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
CRISTIAN
Rookie
Rookie

Units order respond time is too long.

Post by CRISTIAN »

Order some units to protect a building, by the time they start moving, the base doesn't exist anymore  :(

What do I do?

Running it from linux
Amd 2400+
Radeon X850 Pro at 1280x1024x32
If (windows rulez) then (Linux fails)
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Re: Units order respond time is too long.

Post by Hatsjoe »

Do you mean that the base is really destroyed before units start moving or did you mean that it just takes a long time for them to start moving, because if it's literally what you're saying, it sounds kinda like something new. Certainly not in line with the previously reported problems with ordering large groups.  + if they move out to defend a structure after it's been destroyed, the command should not be executed anymore because there's nothing left to attack so that would be 2 bugs actually
CRISTIAN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CRISTIAN »

I mean,  :D well.. forget about defending... I Send them somewhere, and they don't move instantly. It takes too long before they start going.

Btw... It's not a large group. It may be a single unit.
Last edited by CRISTIAN on 07 Jun 2007, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Well that's the same thing we 've heard before. The problem was generally accepted to be about the cpu speed. A slower cpu isn't able to calculate all the paths for each unit to follow when travelling from 1 point to another in one frame. This means all the action is being delayed untill the cpu has completed the path caculations. Now it was never clear what kinda cpu tou needed to not get his problem. But with the increased command control lmimit, The problem might start reappearing on some systems. I have no idea how to solve it unless holding ctrl button and defining the units paths yourself. Or using smaller gropups of units :p
CRISTIAN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CRISTIAN »

I'm using fglrx.
Beryl and a lot of programs running while playing.

I guess i need a dualcore cpu ;D

This only happens in big maps, and when there's a lot of fighting going on.

I've reduced screen resolution to 1152x864. It's better now. I think...

Thanks
sicanjal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sicanjal »

Try using CTRL + Left click to give the units waypoints, and direct them around more complex parts of the terrain yourself. This reduces the path generation overhead, especially if the next each waypoint can be reached in a straight line (ie. has no obstacles between them). This should make your units respond much quicker to that order.

If everyone's unit movement is very stuffed up, consider switching to VTOL assaults and VTOL Strike Towers (at least then you can remove the occasional AI factories blocking a movement gateway). AFAIK, VTOLs require no pathfinding and only check the height of tiles ahead of them.

Some maps have more pathfinding problems than others (Little Egypt, for example).
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

I am looking into how to reduce the chance of failed/partial planned path with great distance.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
CRISTIAN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CRISTIAN »

I was playing little egypt. :P hahaha
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

i have seen this problem with every form of warzone 2100 on many hardware configs, even played on a dual cpu server combined 5ghz cpu time and 4 gig ram, it doesnt really seem your hardware specs make a great deal of difference. tho i have come to some conclusions. the game can only handle so many AI and pathfinding computations per cycle. each cycle can take upto 10 seconds (hardware does have a moderate effect on this). the situation can become quite prominant if one or more AI players have caused a traffic jam in their own bases (guess the computer is working franticly to fix all the pathings).
i have also discovered a few compensating tactics, some of which have been mentioned already either fully or in part.
1) for base defence, keep a vtol squad attached to a strike radar in the base for rapid response
2) very very short paths seem pretty immune to the move order que so teasing your units to their destination click by click can get them there, hopefully in time.
3) keep a squad of cheap vtols handy equiped with thermal AE (area effect) bombs, send these on suicide runs to destroy traffic jams in enemy bases, can relieve a lot of the problems

and finaly ...win faster. a dead AI cant slow down your computer ;)
Version: master-20110320 QT
VGA:Nvidia GeForce GT 220
Driver in use: 6.14.12.6658
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4200+
RAM: 2 x DDR-II 1GB corsair
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

seems this kind of problem happens alot/is reproducible in map Clover,it takes absurdly long(3-10 seconds) for droid to plan a path and start moving to a location you clicked,even the target location is just few tiles away from the droid's current position,I'll try to debug it after the critical crash bugs in trunk are diagnosed/fixed.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Watermelon wrote: ... I'll try to debug it after the critical crash bugs in trunk are diagnosed/fixed.
You might want to try compiling with your '-pg' in your CFLAGS that'll give you a profiling run of Warzone which will show which functions are called most often etc. (it produces an output file which you can process with `gprof`).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

the CPU has  nill to do with the problem its all int he games ability to handle the pathfinding..  it was adressed by pumpkin studios back when they wee working on the game and never managed a fix for it.

I run i an Athalon 64 FX2 dual core 5200+ with a gig of ram and dual nvidia 7300gs in sli mode.

all i have to say on ANYONE here thinking that its the computers fault..
i bought this game when it first came out and it ran smoothly back on my old computer which was a p100 with 32 megs of ram and a voodoo-1 graphics card.. and the ONLY problem i had back then was the bottlenecking data bug that happened in lan games where the data going tom one computer to another would bottleneck and slow down considerably. to the point it literally took an hour+ to research one thing.. which thankfully pumpkin studios did thier best to fix.

point is.. the problems were the same back then.. game runs just as smooth as it did on the old computer and still has alot of the same game flaws including the lag at times for pathfinding.

its got to do with the games limitations with its current coding and the terrain itself.

yes i said the terrain itself.. as one of the NEW bugs ive noticed that never happened back int eh day but does now is when  i set build ques for a truck and it goes up certain ramp tiles... they tend to get "stuck" in their pathfinding and like a puppy dog.. spins in circles around the tile like its chasing its own tail..  im talking 3+ wide obstruction free areas.
==========================

Ive also been getting in longer games "sound lag" where there will be a moment of odd behavior for the game then the game will only play either combat wounds.. ambient sounds.. or menu and speach sounds.. but never at the same time.. it seems to switch between the 3 every  mew minutes or so till the game is restarted..
and during last nights game  i was using nothing but nexus turrets to attack enemy bases and turning thier own units agsint them as they rolled out the factoris [VERY SATISFYING]... and id would immediatly recycle thier trucks to keep my command limit down and to give extra resources.. and noticed that open truck when i right clicked.. i coudlent get it to recycle.. the second recycle button wouldet highlight.. 3 seconds of trying i tried closing the command menu.. wiht no luck.. another vehicle selected.. no  menus would change.. tried hitting escape repeatedly.. the command menu still wouldent close...  i sat there looking confused till after 4 minutes it finally closed on its own.. then immediatly leaps into the sound lag bug i mentioned above.
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-