Self-damaging VTOL?

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
kringled
Trained
Trained

Self-damaging VTOL?

Post by kringled »

I ran into an odd behavior while playing the campaign. On Beta 7, just after landing, I use a VTOL BunkerBuster to attack an enemy sensor tower. The VTOL (Mantis body) picks up a little bit of damage from AA - maybe just barely into yellow from green - before it hits the VTOL rearming pad. While sitting on the pad, without being subject to attack from other sources, the unit drops in health substantially - down to the lower red. This happens more than once in a single cycle even (and I have had a hard time keeping the unit alive through the VTOL lancers that the Collective sends). Anyone else seen anything like this?

Keith
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: Self-damaging VTOL?

Post by JDW »

I have no idea how that's happening, but I hope you have a saved game in case you may want to file a bug report later. Someone on the forum will help you with your problem soon.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

I had a similar problem. Nexus SAMs followed my VTOLs, and hit them while trying to land on the pads.

Are you sure there were no hoiming AA following your VTOL?
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

KukY wrote:I had a similar problem. Nexus SAMs followed my VTOLs, and hit them while trying to land on the pads.

Are you sure there were no hoiming AA following your VTOL?
So there was, but once it had actually landed, the damage was at that lesser damage level, and I watched the damage go up and down while on the pad (never lifting off).
I'll try to create a savegame which at least allows me to most easily re-create this, and hopefully for someone else as well.

Keith
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

Odd. It doesn't want to repeat today. Well, I suppose that's better anyways.

Keith
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

Sounds like a burning unit. Are there any incendiary weapons that can hit air units?

Philipp
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

This could be nearly any incendiary weapon:
E.g. an incendiary mortar shell (friendly or not, aimed at whatever) that accidentially hit the VTOL in mid-air (I remember losing a VTOL due to an ordinary mortar hit some time ago when my VTOL flew over firing enemy mortars). The burning VTOL would continue take damage.

Philipp
BulletMagnet
Trained
Trained

Post by BulletMagnet »

I've seen this too, and not just with BBs or Mantis bodies. The times I've seen it happen, the VTOL drops back (instantly) to some heavily damaged value, and is then re-repaired to good health. I assume that the damage values are what they VTOL was at when landing, and not random.

If I see it again and work out how to reproduce it I'll chuck up a bug-report in trac.