Reparing the commander in the field...

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Reparing the commander in the field...

Post by Ubermad »

i have noticed that if i try to repair my most valuable commander in the field it is extremley difficult, if i order one of my repair tanks to repair it, it automaticly get assigned to him and then starts repair other damaged tanks. by the time it get got the damaged commander it has probably already ben blown up. :hmm:
i cant turn around the entire horde of my tanks to the repair structure just because my commander needs repairs every time it gets too damaged. if i would, lets say in a campain mission, the time would run out. :x

my commander is something i want to keep, it is extremly valuable at its current level as "special".

anyone knows something to get rid of this constant problem? :wink:
yay, lolcakez! *omnomnomnom*
Nuzurame
Greenhorn

Re: Reparing the commander in the field...

Post by Nuzurame »

If you minimize your main commander group (the one you are fighting with) to maximum of 10 units, and you will be placing a repair bay in every suitable place ( a large and safe plain ground ) so your units won't be going to far to get there you won't have such problems. And do not forget to set up your commander group to retreat at medium damge.

Placing a repair bay on near behind the front lines is much better than carrying around useless, path-blocking and easily dying repair tanks. It has also a larger repair range than repair turret, and the repair rate is faster too.
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

i will try that. thank you for the tip. :D
but i have noticed that repair tanks can repair many tanks at the same time. :hmm:
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

IMO 5 mobile (hover) small repair turrets are the best - I like them more than carrying trucks around.

Hmm, maybe we should make Ctr+Click combination for "repair commander" order? I tried to cheat that, by ordering repair tanks to move near commander - they start repairs automatically.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Michal wrote:Hmm, maybe we should make Ctr+Click combination for "repair commander" order? I tried to cheat that, by ordering repair tanks to move near commander - they start repairs automatically.
Alt+click.
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

"Alt+click" works? :3
you have just made my year! :D :D :D
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

lol, so that was your problem.

Here I was trying to figure out what you were asking; I completely forgot that repair units' default action to commanders was "Assign".
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

haha lol. but yes, that was my problem.... :lol2:
TheSoofMan
Greenhorn

Post by TheSoofMan »

Ubermad wrote:"Alt+click" works? :3
you have just made my year! :D :D :D

Well, i just tried this this command on version 2.3.1 and it does not work.
Yes - the repair tool icon appears on commander when i select repair unit and press alt, but no - nothing happens after clicking him.
The repair units happily continue to drive around, and commander dies.

Definately looks like a bug to me.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

http://guide.wz2100.net/commanders#attaching

EDIT:

If you have a saved game and share it with us , then maybe we can have a look at it ourselves..

File locations http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/FileLocations
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
TheSoofMan
Greenhorn

Post by TheSoofMan »

As in the article:
If you wish for a repair turret to repair a commander instead of assigning to it, Alt+click on the commander while your repair turret is selected.
Mine does not do that. I'm playing second mission of campaign 2, and after ALT+Clicking nothing happens.

Savegame follows
http://soofman.civ.pl/stuff/wz2100/thes ... ave.tar.gz

---------
I'm using Gentoo Linux AMD64
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

There's no repair unit in the group that the transport drops off.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

I played your mission, completed it, and when I returned to your base I was able to get a repair turret to test your claim.

And you are right. I selected the repair unit, held down the Alt, when I hover the mouse over the Commander, the crosshair changes to a Spanner (indicating repair mode). But as I click on the Commander, nothing happened. The repair unit never tries to repair the Command turret. However, the repair unit does begins repair on it's own if the Commander is within range. When I brought them closer together, the repair unit automatically recognizes that the commander is damaged and proceeds to repair it. It's just the Alt+Click combination that doesn't seem to work.

Made a new save game from Soofman's earlier save game that makes it easy to see this. Could someone else please try the below save game that I created, and confirm that it is a bug?

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2781h5 ... ret.tar.gz

EDIT:
To Soofman : If someone else does confirm that this is a bug, then it's up to you to file your very first bug. :wink:
-- Ambrose Bierce
TheSoofMan
Greenhorn

Post by TheSoofMan »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
There's no repair unit in the group that the transport drops off.
Oh sorry for sending you bad savegame, stupid mistake.

Anyway, You don't really need a separate savegame to replicate this bug. It occurs in every campaign/savegame/game i play.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

TheSoofMan wrote:Anyway, You don't really need a separate savegame to replicate this bug. It occurs in every campaign/savegame/game i play.
It's not just your games, it's mine too. I just checked my install and I have the same problem on skirmish matches. Alt+Click just doesn't work, no matter what I try.

Has anyone else tested their install to see if Alt+Click works for them?
-- Ambrose Bierce