Savegame incompatibility (campaign only?)

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
kringled
Trained
Trained

Savegame incompatibility (campaign only?)

Post by kringled »

This week, I upgraded from a rather older PowerPC G4 mac to a new macbook Pro. I had a couple of quirks with starting Warzone on the new machine; one was due to monitor size and my settings (for some reason, the --width and --height options didn't work, I just changed monitor setup but probably could just have dumped the config file) and the other was due to the keymap file (had to delete the old file and recreate it). Now however, I have a more challenging problem to overcome. Campaign based savegames from my old computer load with a rather strange error. If I click on a unit and try to order it to move, frequently the immediate impact is that it disappears from sight. On the alpha base map and the skirmish map Mountain, I can find the unit again - it's been transported to a location at the top left corner of the map (not an accessible location on the alpha maps) and sometimes units up there explode for no reason that I can tell, at least when given an order to move. On the beta and gamma maps I've tested, the units are just gone forever.
I can create a savegame with the error already visualized (i.e. units are up in the corner) but I don't know if the problem will necessarily reproduce or not on someone else's computer, as these savegames are just fine when I play from the computer they were created on, and so far games created on my new computer load fine. The problem definitely occurs with both campaign and skirmish savegames, and for campaign missions, both those that are created at the end of a mission as well as mid-mission.
All of these games were created from 2.3.0 with no mods loaded.
Is there a chance that something is written to the savegame files in a binary format that is not cross-processor compatible? (It looks like the old one might have been doing big-endian representations and the other one little-endian)

Keith

Keith
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Re: Savegame incompatibility (campaign only?)

Post by Crymson »

I was going to say to upload the savegames, but forum attachments are broken.

I am not sure of the exact hardware the devs have either, but dak180 or Zarel have macs.
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

There are a couple of savegames I have uploaded to Trac from my old computer (Tickets 1608 and 1588), and one in an old thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5246 The last of these (the one from the thread) I know does strange things on my new computer (select units and give them move orders and they vanish to that corner). I'm not sure if any of the devs have old enough Macs to be able to produce the problem in the first place.

Keith
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

We try for binary compatibility with different endiannesses, but it's easy to miss stuff, especially since all the developers use little-endian processors. I don't know what to say, but I can't really think of a good way to fix the situation.
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

From my point of view, not really a problem that I need to fix - it just means that if someone is running on one of those processors, the savegames are going to be hard for someone else to work with (for example, for bug reporting purposes etc.). I may redo one or two of those. Thanks for letting me know that that does seem likely to be the issue.

Keith