Commander Issues...

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
iap
Trained
Trained

Commander Issues...

Post by iap »

Well, I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I'll ask anyway.

I love using the commander, at least in the campaigns and single user skirmish. It is very helpful. The factories automatically assigned, all the fire power is concentrated, it gets artillery aid from far behind, and damaged units go for fixing and return, without the need to manage this.
I also read that there is a damage bonus. Not that i've seen it in action, but maybe I'm not experienced enough.

However, they sometimes act very strange. If no target has been designated, they might ignore other enemies. It is very hard to get them all in he same position. The attached units are "dumb" and will not act independently. But this is acceptable.

The problem is what happens when the commander decides it is too damaged, and is going to repair itself. Then I cannot control my commander! I try to press it, but it get lost. It is automatically going to the repair station. The more problem is (it's bad English I know) the all the assigned units stop responding, stops shooting, stops everything, they just move around....

Is this known or is it a bug?
How can I overcome this without un-assigning everyone?
WZWanderer
Greenhorn

Re: Commander Issues...

Post by WZWanderer »

I have a decent amount of experience with commander, and I'm sorry but I think the best thing to do in the situation you describe is to unassign, let the cmdr repair, and take manual control over your fighting force in the meantime. It's not a bug - the expected behavior is that assigned units will just stay at their last location until u give the cmdr the next explicit move or attack order.

The trick is not to let things get to that point; don't let your cmdr get that damaged. Assigning some repair units to it can help.

As far as how to get control over the cmdr when he is on the retreat, just click him and hit the shortcut key for "do or die" - "/" is default I think. U will only have control over the unit until the next time it gets hit, which is why u use the hot key. U have to be fast! :ninja:

If u are very careful u can always just use "do or die" instead of auto-retreat, in the first place - another way of avoiding the whole problem! ;)
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

Yeah, the thing is... I don't like the "die" part of this command. :ninja:

my commander has 2 or 3 repair units assigned to it at minimum (usually its more) but you know, they have the tendency to wander around sometimes...

But thanks, I guess your idea is the best way.
(And that's the reason I usually play at 0.3 speed O_o )
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

OK two more issues with commanders:
Sometimes units gets un-assigned from a commander automatically. I mean that suddenly in the middle of a battle they get independent - they don't have the * sign next to them.
Now, I know that close range are limited to a commander, but it happens to mortar rockets. The problem is that I'm loosing fire power, and loosing the control of them in the middle of a battle. They just wandering around... What should I do with that?

Another thing is, that the units are not responding to the repair on medium damage command, they just sitting there, and continue shooting. What should I do with that?
Ilr
Trained
Trained

Post by Ilr »

iap wrote:OK two more issues with commanders:
Sometimes units gets un-assigned from a commander automatically. I mean that suddenly in the middle of a battle they get independent - they don't have the * sign next to them.
Now, I know that close range are limited to a commander, but it happens to mortar rockets. The problem is that I'm loosing fire power, and loosing the control of them in the middle of a battle. They just wandering around... What should I do with that?

Another thing is, that the units are not responding to the repair on medium damage command, they just sitting there, and continue shooting. What should I do with that?
Both these issues requiring "regularly scheduled" re-clicking. Yes, Artillery units become randomly un-assigned from both Sensors and Commanders. Best thing to do in that case is always have the entire artillery group Assigned to a number key as well and just watch them carefully... re-assign anytime you notice one falling behind ...this also helps when you need to make them retreat for whatever reason. ...likewise retreating Thresholds also need to be re-clicked fairly often b/c various units entering a group don't always adapt to the commander's settings and sometimes the commander himself just randomly defaults to Do or Die now.