45FPS cap on multiplayer games?

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
thefirstm
Greenhorn

45FPS cap on multiplayer games?

Post by thefirstm »

I am trying to play a multiplayer game of Warzone 2100 on my Linux computer. I have noticed that whenever the game is in multiplayer mode, the framerate appears to be capped at 45FPS. This causes it to be quite jerky on a vsynced display with a framerate of 60. I have looked in the game settings and configuration files, but have not seen anything related to FPS limit for multiplayer mode. Am I missing something, or is this not implemented?
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: 45FPS cap on multiplayer games?

Post by stiv »

Tried playing with the Vertical Sync settting in the Options->Video Options menu?
thefirstm
Greenhorn

Post by thefirstm »

vSync is on both in the game and in nvidia-settings.
jaakan
Trained
Trained

Post by jaakan »

thefirstm wrote:I am trying to play a multiplayer game of Warzone 2100 on my Linux computer. I have noticed that whenever the game is in multiplayer mode, the framerate appears to be capped at 45FPS. This causes it to be quite jerky on a vsynced display with a framerate of 60. I have looked in the game settings and configuration files, but have not seen anything related to FPS limit for multiplayer mode. Am I missing something, or is this not implemented?
That sounds to me like you have an issue with your hardware or you Video drivers.

Do you mean a "progressive display( an LCD or Plasma ) " refreshing at 60hz? or do you mean you have vsync turned on in your driver or game settings?
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Does the jerkiness go away if you run with --nosound?
thefirstm
Greenhorn

Post by thefirstm »

The jerkiness continues if I run with --nosound. I have Vsync enabled in both the game and in the nvidia-settings application, and my display is a 15.4" 1680x1050 laptop display which runs at 60hz. I don't think I have a problem with my hardware or driver configuration, because the game runs just fine at 60FPS when in singleplayer mode. No other games exhibit this issue, either.

I don't think the game itself is running jerkily. 45FPS would probably be smooth enough, since it is not evenly divisible into 60, some frames get displayed for longer than others, resulting in the jerkiness. It appears that the game is, for some reason, capping the FPS at 45. If I could just remove this cap, my problem would be fixed.
jaakan
Trained
Trained

Post by jaakan »

I forgot to ask what hardware do you have? Video, video driver, cpu, ram
Do you have an option for Triple Buffering in your driver settings?
thefirstm
Greenhorn

Post by thefirstm »

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 CPU (2.00gHz), 4GB RAM, and Nvidia 8600m GT graphics. It runs Kubuntu Karmic (9.10) x86_64 alpha and is using the leaked 190.09 Nvidia beta drivers. However, I also had the problem with Kubuntu Jaunty with the 180 and 185 drivers.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Yes, it is capped, with different rates in single player and multiplayer. See the config files for the exact rates. However, I do not recommend changing the rate for multiplayer unless everyone you play with have the same rates, or you risk getting off sync more often. The basic problem is that there is no distinction between logical and display frame updates in Warzone. It is on our TODO list, but not getting a very high priority right now.
thefirstm
Greenhorn

Post by thefirstm »

I have looked in the config file, and I see the following options:

SinglePlayerFPS=60
framerate=60

but I do not see anything relating to multiplayer mode.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Ah, the rate for multiplayer is hard-coded in the source to prevent anyone from changing it too easily ;)

I see a bug here, though. SinglePlayerFPS and framerate refer to the same config key, they shouldn't be two different entries in the config file.
thefirstm
Greenhorn

Post by thefirstm »

Well, in that case, I am going to dig through the source to find it, and change it to 60. Must have my liquid-smooth graphics! ;)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:Yes, it is capped, with different rates in single player and multiplayer. See the config files for the exact rates. However, I do not recommend changing the rate for multiplayer unless everyone you play with have the same rates, or you risk getting off sync more often. The basic problem is that there is no distinction between logical and display frame updates in Warzone. It is on our TODO list, but not getting a very high priority right now.
Hmm, Devu's projectile changes fix this for the projectile code. But we should at least use the same random number generator - right now, it's pretty much entirely random.