B E T A 9.... help...

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
MaNGusT
Art contributor

B E T A 9.... help...

Post by MaNGusT »

use last nightly-build ...
I play on Hard...have tanks, vtols,cyborgs up to limit...
when i come to the mission i try to build AA defense versus vtols.... but anyway vtols destroy all what i build and kill all tanks...even when i have AA tanks

I try to use different tactics but anyway they destroy me... I can not stay alive even until second transport comes... just try to play this mission on hard and you'll see )) .. there is no way to complete this mission without cheats ((

i think that the balance is broken ((

P.S
bad ENG i know ;)
есть русскоязычные? )) может вы поможете.. вам мне легче будет объяснить ))
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: B E T A 9.... help...

Post by MaNGusT »

I also try to use this tactic => http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe/walk% ... eta_9.html

but it doesn't help me (
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Don't use that guide. It was fine for 2.0, but now with AA being far less powerful in 2.1, "a few Cyclones" aren't going to cut it. A lot of what that guide says is now moot with changes to AA, among other things.

First off, don't bother with cyborgs in the Campaign. They have their place in Multiplayer, but their low potential in SinglePlayer makes them a waste of resources pretty much. Once this stage is over (but before you finish off the last building ending it), I recommend recycling your cyborgs and making tougher units.

That said, as to this stage:

The low amount of ground-based units in this stage make the need for your own ground-based units to counter them low on the priority totem pole. Begin this stage by sending in 1 mg unit (which will do nothing more than shoot the buildings around your LZ for more building space), and NINE trucks. Yes, you heard that right. Also, have 10 more trucks waiting to be airlifted in (in other words, start this stage with at least 19 trucks).

As soon as you land, have your MG units take down the nearby buildings, start air-lifting in a batch of 10 trucks, and have your first 9 trucks:

Truck 1) build a repair bay below the LZ (This will be the first thing likely targeted by enemy vtols. As soon as they blow it up, start building it again, but never with more than 1 truck)

Truck 2) Sensor tower couple spaces NE of LZ.

Trucks 3-5) Lancer buildings (towers and bunkers) against waterline north and slightly east of LZ. If you've tried this stage a couple times, you know where the hover-tank-killers will show up from, place the lancer towers in places that they will be the first thing seen by these hover units.

Trucks 6-9) Scattered AA sites. Some against north waterline, some back by LZ, some between.

Enemy air-raise will probably take out your Repairbay first, then your MG units, and then they will start targeting trucks. But you have 9 of them, so you can lose a few)

Once the first set of buildings is done, have 2 of the remaining trucks set up AG buildings covering the NE land-exist to your LZ (but out of range of the enemy structures), and all your other trucks set up more AA pits. Once your reinforcement trucks land, have them start setting up AA pits as well.

The only way for AA guns to hit targets is for them to shoot them as they are turning around from an attack run, which is all of a half second. So you have to make sure you hit them enough in that half-second to bring them down. The only way to do this in 2.1 is with an AA-overload.

An enemy attack group will show up from the NE, but the surviving lancer towers from the hover-tankkiller assault, and the new AG buildings you've put up, should hold them off.

The good news is, once the starting VTOLs, hover-tankkillers, and that first land group are dealt with, nothing else will hit your main base for the rest of the map. So after you survive that part, feel free to start shipping in your heaviest hitters, and start rampaging through the stage. I've evern beaten taht stage before with nothing BUT trucks and a few AA tanks (and that 1 mg tank at the start to bring down the buildings). Once the vtols are handled, setting up Artillery in the middle of the map is a good way to shoot up everything.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

wow... 9 tracks )))... thx i'll try... :)

I use http://warzone.mortis.eu/nightly-builds/ last build not 2.1rc1 ))
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

MaNGusT wrote:wow... 9 tracks )))... thx i'll try... :)

I use http://warzone.mortis.eu/nightly-builds/ last build not 2.1rc1 ))

If you use 2.1.anything, then my advice holds. The way AA guns do target calculation has changed (and much for the worse, I might say) from 2.0.X to 2.1.X, so to have them kill anything, you SERIOUSLY have to overload them.

Same thing once you get into gamma... But the Gamma opponent uses less planes, and you eventually get SAMs, which are real good at anti-air warfare. Hold out till then.

And yes, I use 19 trucks. I use them as target-practice fodder for enemy VTOLS in the last BETA stage, since they don't have any EXP to lose.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

i completed this mission... thank you for help :-)

From 19 tracks only 1 survived ))) :P

i think mass AA's are very bad for the balance, especially in campaign because of very small units limit. :-S
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I'm sure the development gurus realize how bad the new AA targetting calculations are, and will change them eventually. in the meantime, don't do much with AA units, as the number you'd need to be effective would kill your unit cap. Just make AA-emplacements in bulk whenever necessary, and wait for Gamma5 to get you some SAM capability.
code
New user

Post by code »

That 19 trucks strategy isn't fun. Plus it requires stashing of quite a resources as well before starting.