Help with multiplayer

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
LostSoulJa
Rookie
Rookie

Help with multiplayer

Post by LostSoulJa »

Hi, i have to say, i love the game, it is awesome.

Me and a buddy of mine are using the warzone2100-2.0.5_rc1.exe, (is there a newer free version out?) and we cant seem to get multiplayer working. We both have TCP9999 open, and are using online, but just cant seem to connect.

I just would love to see this game online, please help :)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Help with multiplayer

Post by lav_coyote25 »

the netplay portion is or will be worked on shortly... possibly in the near future? (2007) when someone has time to devote to it... if you can help with this  - please dont hesitate, we can always use the help.
;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
LostSoulJa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LostSoulJa »

well how come others say it works for them, but yet the IP's wont load?

-TCP9999 is open
-We did exactly how they said to setit up in other threads
-And we connected by IP.

what is going on?
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

it's pretty rare for a game to only use one tcp port (even though it's entirely possible to do so), but even more rare for it to not use any udp ports.

huh. just skimmed that section of the source code, at it does look as though 9999 is the only port needed for gameplay, and 9998 only appears to be needed if you're trying to get a list of servers (doesn't apply if you're connecting directly via ip address).

so, standard questions are:

can you ping the other person's ip (whoever is running as the host needs to be pingable).

are you on a lan or doing this accross the inet?

if you're not on the same lan, is there a router involved for whoever is running as host?

and if you are running this over the inet, and there are no routers involved, and firewalls aren't a problem, then it's entirely possible that one of your isp's is blocking port 9999, in which case it's a really totalitarian and restrictive isp, and you'll have to find a standard port that's almost always left open, such as port 80, and route it to use that. if both sides are using linux or mac, then it's not much work. if you're using windows, i'm sorry, but the easiest way to accomplish that is to modify the source code to use a different port.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

WZ only uses TCP9999, the other one is for the masterserver, which is out of service.

On the server you have to setup your game and then click the "arrows" button on the left. Then you need to wait for your mates to join, and only then you can click the OK button to actually start the game.
LostSoulJa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LostSoulJa »

Yes, we've done all that was stated above (we've even tried adding in the port *xx.xxx.xxx.xx:9999*)

Example.

I open the port TCP9999 on my router, and save the changes. I loaded up the game, and chose to host game, and set up the settings, and i clicked the arrows, and it says i joined the game. I then tell my buddy to join the game by my IP directly (both by just IP, and IP with the port) and he cant connected, and sometimes it freezes. We've even tried him hosting the server (and he host's other games seervers such as Enemy Territory, CS:S, so its not like he doesnt have the abilaty, or not know how to).

Now, when connecting directly with the IP, is the port needed at the end? and if so, what is the port? 9999?
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

i don't know about his case, but you said you have a router...

it's not just an issue of "opening" the port on your router -- a router masquerades many ip's as one, so it doesn't know who to send incoming connections to unless you specify them explicitly (sort of like the modern "*69" concept with phones in the united states and possibly other countries -- if you want to call someone, you need to know their number, but if you receive a call, you can *69 to call back your last caller -- in this case, your router can process *69 type messages since it keeps track of who you called, but it can't *69 back in to the right comp if your comp didn't already make an outgoing call, which is what happens when you're hosting a server)

so you need to specify port-forwarding in addition to opening the port (sometimes port forwarding is listed as "virtual servers") so that the router needs to know where to send incoming requests to a specific port -- if you specify tcp 9999 and your lan address, it should allow you to host warzone games.

if that doesn't work, just try turning off any software firewall temporarily and see if your friend can connect -- if so, it's your firewall. if that doesn't work, try temporarily turning off the router firewall, if any. if you get a connect, never leave the firewall off - turn it back on and try to tweak the firewall settings to let a connection through.

if all that doesn't work, try it without the router -- just connect your comp directly to the cable/dsl/satellite/whatever modem, and see if it works then (you need to change your comps network config so that it can connect without the router for this test) -- if it works after doing this, you know it's the router.
Mr. Pig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mr. Pig »

Yes, we (I am his "buddy") have forwarded ports correctly. 9999 TCP to the respective computers within our network. We have tried both direct IP and DNS (being as I have a sub-domain of one of my websites routed to my IP). All failed.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

okay, then this might be an issue with one (or both) of your isp's blocking port 9999, and if that is the case, either of you that is using windows will need to modify the source code or find some way to remap ports (microsoft doesn't provide anything near this level of functionality that i'm aware of, but you can get an isolated unix-enviornment installed, such as cygwin, and then look at the below info).

if you're using a unix-like, such as linux or mac, then you can use ssh to do simple "local port remapping", or something else for the same task -- note that i'm not suggesting that you tunnel warzone through ssh, as that'd eat too much bandwidth and processing power. you could do something like remap incoming port 80 to port 9999 (that way warzone see's stuff on port 9999 even though it's coming in on port 80), and outgoing port 9999 gets remapped to port 80, which usually isn't blocked by isp's (though you need root access for the port remapper to touch any ports under port #1024).

also, if the person trying to host is using cable internet or satellite internet: those tend to put you behind a nat -- effectively behind their own router, and usually you'd have to call the isp if you want any chance of being able to host a server. on the other hand, if they're doing this, there are some unix utilities you can use to get around this.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

If really such heavy things are needed: Most routers support port redirection at least in the incomming direction...
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

DevUrandom wrote: If really such heavy things are needed: Most routers support port redirection at least in the incomming direction...
lol. then it appears i've had some really crappy routers in my time...
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

At least the 3 routers I possed did have that feature...
Mr. Pig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mr. Pig »

kage wrote: lol. then it appears i've had some really crappy routers in my time...
Yes mine has that feature. I can sware to you my ISP is not blocking any ports. I highly doubt that is the problem, however I guess it is worth testing. I'm also worrying if my router is refusing to open ports. My server computer can host servers fine, but it's DMZ'd. My router used to be able to open ports correctly but I have been having some un-explainable problems with some of the server-based applications I have been coding and the router not opening ports correctly. I think the problem was an isolated incident but that could be my problem. I do not understand however (if the problem is me opening ports) why I can not join Swamp's server as I would be the client init the connection and the router should forward related traffic to my IP.
LostSoulJa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LostSoulJa »

Must.Play.Online!
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

Did you try connection to port 9999 with another application? If you can't connect, no matter what app you use, the problem is not with warzone. It seems like you already tried a lot of things... Maybe this issue will rather be solved if you refer to a specialized website.

Some links:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/
http://www.portforward.com/

or just google for "port forwarding", "open ports router", etc.