My Experience - Early on

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
michealPW
Greenhorn

My Experience - Early on

Post by michealPW »

Hi everyone,
I found out about Warzone2100 on Google. I search for "Top GNU/Linux Games" and sure enough, there was an article with a list of "Top 42", which Warzone2100 was on:)

I'm confused about the revision numbers.

For example, my Ubuntu 8.04 repository offers "Trunk r3595". I tried it out and loved it. I really wanted more, so I found wz2100.net with Google. I decided I wanted to help in whatever what I could, so I downloaded the "2.1 Beta 2". Only the source was available for GNU/Linux. That's what I preferred, but it would be nice for the newer GNU/Linux users to have binary installers like the Windows folks get --Once I learn how to build them I'd be happy to provide them myself--

Anyways, I compiled it and submitted some feedback about it. It seemed logical for it to report that it's "2.1 r0", at the time.

I then wanted to try out the very latest in the works so I went back to wz2100.net/download under "Developers", I clicked on Daily Trunk Snapshot and compiled it. I'm confused, now, as it reports that it's version "Trunk r0".

This must be a mistake, or is the link that old, that it's actually revision 0 of the Trunk branch? (3 thousand, 5 hundred, ninety-five revisions prior to the one in the Ubuntu repository?!) I looked in the changelog that came with the Trunk Snapshot, the last entry was about Beta 3 but wz2100.net/download only offers a link to Beta 2.

Forgive me, I'm new, but what version do I submit a bug report under if the "Daily Trunk Snapshot" has a problem? (It does, more info later once I establish what version it is, no point complaining about something if it's really old?)
Softwares
Linux 2.6.24-19-generic(SMP)
Ubuntu 8.04
fglrx 8.6
SDL 1.2.11
Warzone 2.1b2

Hardwares
[email protected]
ATI Radeon x1600
VIA VT8237(Audio)
VIA VT6102(Network)
Maxtor 6K040L0
skellr
Trained
Trained

Re: My Experience - Early on

Post by skellr »

Hello,
Yeah, the snapshot tarballs are kind funky that way.

When you compile from source it will use autorevision to determine the revison. It gets information from the file .svn/entries. I'm guessing since the .svn/ directory is 'hidden' it is not included by whatever generates the snapshot tarball.

You could use subversion to get the source.

Code: Select all

svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/warzone/trunk
Then just run 'svn up' from the trunk directory when you want to update.

The branch is also good. :cool:

Code: Select all

svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/warzone/branches/2.1/
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

The Ubuntu "Trunk r3595" version is truly ancient and buggy, why do they keep distributing it :stressed:

If you want to report bugs against the daily trunk snapshots, set the version field to "svn/trunk".

Thanks for wanting to help!
michealPW
Greenhorn

Post by michealPW »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the added info, I do not have subversion installed, so I suppose autorevision never stood a chance when it came to setting the revision number:)

Thanks for the tip, I'll submit my bug report about the Nightly Beta3 as soon as I collect a little more information;)
Softwares
Linux 2.6.24-19-generic(SMP)
Ubuntu 8.04
fglrx 8.6
SDL 1.2.11
Warzone 2.1b2

Hardwares
[email protected]
ATI Radeon x1600
VIA VT8237(Audio)
VIA VT6102(Network)
Maxtor 6K040L0