Multiplayer Problem

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Seichi
New user

Multiplayer Problem

Post by Seichi »

Well, i didn't found this problem in the forum so i give it a try...

Ok, here we go --> a couple of my friends and I wanted to play Warzone (we all have the same Version) online against each other. Hmm ok, I opened a game and my friends tryed to connect to my IP...  Warzone find no games (same problem when anybody else opens a game). The Firewalls are turned off and port 9999 UDP and TCP are open (should be the warzone port, isn't it?). Well it still doesn't work.
Can anybody help me? :/
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Multiplayer Problem

Post by Buginator »

Seichi wrote: Well, i didn't found this problem in the forum so i give it a try...

Ok, here we go --> a couple of my friends and I wanted to play Warzone (we all have the same Version) online against each other. Hmm ok, I opened a game and my friends tryed to connect to my IP...  Warzone find no games (same problem when anybody else opens a game). The Firewalls are turned off and port 9999 UDP and TCP are open (should be the warzone port, isn't it?). Well it still doesn't work.
Can anybody help me? :/
Warzone just uses TCP 9996-9999 depending on the version.  Since you don't tell us which version you are using, just open that range. :)
and it ends here.
Seichi
New user

Post by Seichi »

well we got version 2.0.10
i give it a try, thanks^^

**EDIT**
it still doesn't work :(
Last edited by Seichi on 15 May 2008, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kreuvf »

Not sure, but don't the ports need to be forwarded to the host from his router?

And what did you do when you "opened" those ports anyway?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Kreuvf wrote: Not sure, but don't the ports need to be forwarded to the host from his router?

And what did you do when you "opened" those ports anyway?
I assumed he did that?
and it ends here.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Well if the firewalls are turned off then ALL ports should be open... (not good)

Also a distinction between external and internal IP addresses needs to be made
  • An EXTERNAL IP address is the one assigned to you by your ISP and is the address seen by anyone outside of your home network and over the internet. An easy way to find you external IP to to go to somewhere like http://whatismyip.com/
  • An INTERNAL IP address is one that is only used inside of your home network to identify individual computers and devices (routers/modems/networked printers/etc) and is not seen or usable over the internet
Now depending on how the networking is setup decides what needs to be done to get the connection working.
  • If you connect directly to the internet using a modem connected directly to your computer, (one that is not plugged into your ethernet port!), then all you should need to do is have the ports open in the firewall and have your friends connect to your external IP.
  • If you use an ethernet modem then you will have to make sure that the ports are open on ALL firewalls, either in the modem itself, or on your computer, (refer to your modem/computer manuals for how to do this), and make sure you give the correct IP. (The external one assigned by your ISP, not the internal one assigned to the network interface on your computer).
  • If you use a modem/router setup then you will need to open the ports on ALL firewalls as before (modem/router/computer), and then setup your router to send any incoming communication on the ports to your computers internal IP address. (a.k.a. port forwarding, a common site to goto for help on port forwarding is http://portforward.com/). One the router is setup correctly then you should just have to get your friends to connect to your external IP.
Also it helps make sure your friends have setup their network/firewalls correctly as well.