Linux Help!

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
tello14
Greenhorn

Linux Help!

Post by tello14 »

Hi! I have been absolutely loving the game but I have a problem, I run Linux. I have Ubuntu 12.04. I want to update so I can play multiplayer, but alas, I am not very good with terminal (I know, I know, its critical I get better at it but I am working on it!). So I was just hoping someone could help guide me through it. Thanks! :)
Last edited by Staff on 16 Jun 2013, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: stiky request for linux people
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Linux Help!

Post by stiv »

You have looked at the Linux Compile Guide on the download page, right?

If you have specific questions, just ask!
tello14
Greenhorn

Post by tello14 »

Okay, so, I have downloaded the libraries I need and I extracted the Warzone file to my home folder. I cant seem to get the compile to work though. what command should I run at this point? (and yes I read the guide I just didn't understand too much because I'm not so good with terminal)
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

ok step by step
open a terminal
do this command
sudo apt-get install build-essential automake flex bison libpng12-dev libsdl1.2-dev libopenal-dev libphysfs-dev libvorbis-dev libtheora-dev libglc-dev libglew1.5-dev libxrandr-dev zip unzip libqt4-opengl-dev libqt4-network libqjson-dev
type in your password
then you need to move your terminal to the folder you have warzone in
cd /path/to/warzone/folder
for me i put it in my home folder so I just need to cd warzone2100-3.1.0
then when your terminal show that it is in the correct folder
do these commands
./autogen.sh
./configure && make
wait for it to finish compiling lets hope with no errors!
then run the command
./src/warzone2100
let us know if you have errors etc
good luck
tello14
Greenhorn

Post by tello14 »

Thank you soo much! got it running in 2 minutes! that was a better guide than anything else here on the forums! the only thing it said was tht i should upgrade my physics to 2.3
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Mine says that every time i start but i have not crashed because of it yet so i ignore that
Thanks good news is always nice
A dev reminded me i did not write the optimised configure
new steps
./autogen.sh
./configure --disable-debug CFLAGS="-O3 -gstabs -g -g3" CXXFLAGS="-O3 -gstabs -g -g3" && make
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

the only thing it said was tht i should upgrade my physics to 2.3
Some addons (mods or maybe even maps) may not work. So try doing this some day (:
Upgrading ubuntu to the next release will fix it, i guees.
tello14
Greenhorn

Post by tello14 »

ok thanks sounds good
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

LuPu528
New user

Post by LuPu528 »

Hi all, mine Linux problem's a bit different - different enough for 'sudo' and 'apt-get' to make no sense to me or the operating system. I'm running Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 and the compile instructions don't work for me. Is there:
1. a pet for version 3.1.0? I'm tired of playing 2.3.9 with no hope of multiplayer.
2. an alternative package I can use instead e.g. deb or sfs
3. at least a '.gz' and not the '.xz' that fails to be seen as a gzip archive?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to meeting you in multiplayer land ... someday!
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Do tar Jxf warzone2100-3.1.0.tar.xz
and proceed as normal.

They used an obscure compressor in order to save 14 bytes or something.
LuPu528
New user

Post by LuPu528 »

stiv wrote:
Do tar Jxf warzone2100-3.1.0.tar.xz
and proceed as normal.

They used an obscure compressor in order to save 14 bytes or something.
Thanks for responding, Stiv. I did the above and I noted that the extension changed. Now clicking on it brings up XArchive but shows it as empty. Also not sure what 'proceed as normal' represents, at least not at this stage with nothing happening. :oops:
Canadian Eh
New user

Post by Canadian Eh »

A little late but, oh well. libphysfs1 latest version is 2.0.3. there is no 2.3. Typo maybe?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Sure (:
Cmdr_Shaffer
New user

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Hello! I always hate my first post joining a forum to be a question--but I see no other option, as Google is no help in sorting this out for me, despite my best efforts. I am running Linux 13.04, I believe, Raring Ringtail, and am attempting to compile Warzone 2100 for some good RTS action :P Since the first keystroke I've encountered problems. First, when I tried to run

Code: Select all

./autogen.sh && ./configure && make
It said "permission denied", even though I am, essentially what amounts to on Windows an administrator (sorry for my vocabulary, I am a recent Linux convert). So, I tried to run the same command via "sudo" and then got a "Command not found" error. After some hairpulling, I discovered this:

chmod a+x autogen.sh
Which I have no idea what that actually does :oops: but they said it would solve my autogen.sh problems, and it did. Or, at least, I thought it did. When I got to the end of the "make" command, I tried running

./src/warzone2100
And it replied: "No such file or directory". So--what did I screw up? There is a MOUNTAIN of output from the terminal when I run the autogen, configure, and make commands, so I don't want to just dump that in here and have you sift through it unnecessarily, unless you think that's the best solution. If there's something that we can narrow down, and I can provide that would be helpful, I'm more than willing to provide it. :) Thanks in advance for all your help.

Oh! Here's something that may be helpful (I hope). At the end of the output, when running the "Make" command, I get this:

Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/tyler/Downloads/Warzone 2100/warzone2100-3.1.0/src'
cd .. && ./build_tools/autorevision -t h -o /home/tyler/Downloads/Warzone 2100/warzone2100-3.1.0/src/autorevision.cache > /home/tyler/Downloads/Warzone 2100/warzone2100-3.1.0/src/autorevision.h.new
/bin/bash: ./build_tools/autorevision: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [autorevision.h] Error 126
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tyler/Downloads/Warzone 2100/warzone2100-3.1.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tyler/Downloads/Warzone 2100/warzone2100-3.1.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
So it's not liking something I'm doing--and, apparently, I don't have permission to get into the autorevision folder, despite the fact that I ran that command under sudo after it failed once the first time...so, anybody have any ideas what's going on? Thanks in advance.