LAN games no longer working in 3.1?

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
PkK
Trained
Trained

LAN games no longer working in 3.1?

Post by PkK »

I just wanted to play 3.1 for the first time in a LAN with friends. I remember, that a year ago that worked with then-current versions.

Now, the moment I click on "Start hosting game" warzone2100 becomes very unresponsive. It takes about a minute to react to any click, which e.g. makes changing the flag or putting a bot in a slot a real pain.

Also, often players could not join the hosted game. On the host's side they appeared briefly in the list, but on the joining player's side nothing happened after clicking on the game they wanted to join.

I also get the usual messages on the console:

Code: Select all

info    |06:17:43: [realmain:1133] Using /home/philipp/.warzone2100-3.1/logs/WZlog-0130_181743.txt debug file
info    |06:17:47: [loadMapPreview:456] Loading map preview: "Sk-Rush" builtin t2
error   |06:17:57: [readLobbyResponse:2072] Error while connecting to the lobby server: Die Wartezeit für die Verbindung ist abgelaufen
Make sure port 2100 can receive incoming connections.
info    |06:17:57: [loadMapPreview:456] Loading map preview: "Sk-Rush" builtin t2
error   |06:18:00: [readLobbyResponse:2072] Error while connecting to the lobby server: Die Wartezeit für die Verbindung ist abgelaufen
Make sure port 2100 can receive incoming connections.
last message repeated 2 times
last message repeated 1 times (total 3 repeats)
info    |06:18:07: [loadMapPreview:456] Loading map preview: "Sk-Rush" builtin t2
philipp@phoinikas:~/warzone2100-3.1.0/src$ ./warzone2100 
info    |06:19:30: [realmain:1133] Using /home/philipp/.warzone2100-3.1/logs/WZlog-0130_181930.txt debug file
info    |06:19:33: [loadMapPreview:456] Loading map preview: "Sk-Rush" builtin t2
We've tried various combinations of four computers, and had problems with all of them. These were all Debian or Ubuntu systems.

I just wanted to play with other people on the same LAN. There is a firewall between the LAN and the internet that blocks some ports, but that shouldn't prevent me from playing, and didn't in the past.

Philipp

P.S.: This bug report seems to be about a similar issue: http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/3347
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: LAN games no longer working in 3.1?

Post by NoQ »

Try setting lobbyserver address to localhost in your config file. This way you disable hosting the game on public, so the game won't bother if it's unaccessible by the public anyway.
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

Okay, setting masterserver to localhost in config elimkinates the annyoing delay. I can't test the other issues right now.

Still, the current behaviour seems like a warzone2100 3.1 bug to me. Not ebing able to contact the masterserver shouldn't make the menu unresponsive.

Philipp
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Maybe a separate option on the menu to choose whether it's a LAN game or online game would help? So if it's a LAN game, WZ won't bother checking the lobbyserver.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

aubergine wrote:Maybe a separate option on the menu to choose whether it's a LAN game or online game would help? So if it's a LAN game, WZ won't bother checking the lobbyserver.
Such an option would be nice. But if, there is no such option, the lack of connection tot he metaserver should not make the interface unresponsive. I really don't see why putting a bot in a slot should take minutes just because there is no connection tot he metaserver.

Philipp