Super Transport model submissions for 3.1

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Re: Super Transport model submissions

Post by cumandgetit »

i didn't think it was trivial coding work as i hinted jorzi but i did remember buginator correctly.

and if it's not gameplay mechanic related or game rules then it falls to visuals i would think. so essential visual is art & non-essential visual is cosmetic ? just trying to get at the sense of it.

anyway here's what buginator said early on here...
Buginator Nov. 4, 2010 wrote: ....

Keep up the good work guys, I see some very promising stuff going on! :3

You know, nobody said we can't have more than one Super Transport... some might carry more stuff, but no weapons, or more weapons, less stuff to carry... or have a radar jammer or ...

... Heck, might even have different tech paths for this stuff. I don't object to thinking out of the box. :ninja:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

So you suggest multiple transport bodies that can have custom turrets? This actually starts to sound like a pretty nice idea (although it still would require some serious coding effort).
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Jorzi wrote:@Berg: That's actually a pretty good design, but (as always) the texture needs more work.
Eh? As always?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

JDW wrote:
Jorzi wrote:@Berg: That's actually a pretty good design, but (as always) the texture needs more work.
Eh? As always?
what is wrong with the old textures?
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Designable transport with weapons could be good idea. ;-)
Maybe one smaller but faster with one up to medium weapon slot and one bigger but slower with two slots?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Eh? As always?
That may have sounded slightly harsh, but I usually feel that the textures are the weakest link in Berg's models and that is also the one thing I usually comment on (maybe I'm just expecting everyone to put five hours of work on each of their models?)
ImageImage
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Jorzi wrote:
Eh? As always?
That may have sounded slightly harsh, but I usually feel that the textures are the weakest link in Berg's models and that is also the one thing I usually comment on (maybe I'm just expecting everyone to put five hours of work on each of their models?)
Eh? Slightly? ....... Whatever dude. I would like to say a thing or two ... but I think it would be in my best interest not to....
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Berg was celebrating his first full century a few days ago, so maybe he can't spend a 5 hrs/mdl :hmm:

Seriously, its just another possible way of doing things and its up to him to get fun from it. Congratulation, Berg.
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

i-NoD wrote:Berg was celebrating his first full century a few days ago, so maybe he can't spend a 5 hrs/mdl :hmm:
I didn't know Berg played cricket... :P
Seriously, its just another possible way of doing things and its up to him to get fun from it. Congratulation, Berg.
Same here. :)
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Last edited by Olrox on 05 Feb 2012, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thank you olrox for clarifying my point. Hopefully all your studying will soon start to pay off.

Let me finally emphasize that "needs more work" does by no means equal "sucks", but rather "it's ok, but it could be great"
If I sound harsh, it is because I don't want the potential to be wasted.
Edit: and rather than trying to explain what I meant with "as always", I'm just taking it back. I realize now that it was an unnecessary comment.
ImageImage
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Olrox wrote:
JDW wrote: Eh? Slightly? ....... Whatever dude. I would like to say a thing or two ... but I think it would be in my best interest not to....
Berg is a mature person. He certainly knows that there is no way one can fulfill everyone's expectations, and he already made it clear more than a couple of times that he prefers to produce useable stuff in his own way rather than spend much time doing partial stuff. This is the weak link on ArtRev, and it always had been. It is however the only way to produce high quality content with limited persons, as free-time activity.

He does a nice job on exploring new stuff and producing alternative looks that can be readily used. The AR crew does a nice job on producing high-quality assets that will occasionally bring the game to a high visual standard. And I do believe that Jorzi's comment is not more than sincere artistic insight. I share that point of view and do trust Berg can recognize that as well - every artist has flaws, not due to lack of skill necessariy, but because every priority shadows another. Also, good criticism is a coin, whereas it always has two sides simultaneously. Just because something can be improved it doesn't means it is bad. Fleeing from comments about our own flaws is cowardly.
I wasn't talking about Berg's models or Berg himself, or ArtRev, or anyone "cowardly fleeing". But i do believe Jorzi got the point.

But while we are on the topic of Berg, I would like to quote Shakti Gawain,
We will discover the nature of our particular genius when we stop trying to conform to our own or to other peoples' models, learn to be ourselves, and allow our natural channel to open.
And for a more general audience, I would like to quote Bill Purdin,
A measure of honest introspection is worth more than an immeasurable pile of pontification.
-- Ambrose Bierce
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

while all this is interesting it has little or no purpose to this thread ...
They are asking for supertransport rather then discuss who means what stop and submit a model

Jorzi I expect you to condemn so I dismiss you ...as for the rest bantering who ment what and so forth forget it

As was said i do this because i have fun ..I also point out like or dislike, its the art that counts and the ideas, over the years i have heard it all and to be honest i don't care look at the art use the ideas and put forth your best artistic endeavor and maybe together we can advance warzone stop trying to be top dog here.

that said let us make models..
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Berg wrote:that said let us make models..
Agreed 8)

That said, it will probably be some time before i get to remaking the old campaign transport.
ImageImage
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

wz2100-20120205_001525-Sk-Rush.jpg
just messing with normalmaps same texture I played with material but it seem to have a negative affect unless you had it on default 1.0