Re-done PIEs

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Re: Re-done PIEs

Post by Hatsjoe »

Giel wrote: If you rename it to page-19-fx`s-hard.png you should be able to use it without modifying any PIE files at all (Warzone automagically scales it).

I've made a whole bunch of screenshots with your new texture, uploading them to my webspace now. (I made almost 400, but removed about 300 => 70 pieces left, and as you might guess only the last number is accurate).
Nice , i didn't kow that either :p
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

I ve just briefly tested it and i ve noticed a few things:

- I didn't know only the hard texpages were used. I didn't even know their was a difference, and when they were created. could someone briefly tell me what their purpose was is?
- The hard texpage has actually more frames of the explsion than mine has. That makes my explosion to short.
- I shouldn't have done an animation. This was meant as a test and i wanted to do some work on the bodies but i accidentaly opened the wrong texfile. I thought i could give that a try just as well. But since the image is so rapidly changing, you can't really get a good look at it :(
- I can't really see whether the png transparancy is working or not. is it ? your screenshots will most likely answer this one and the 3rd one :)
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Hatsjoe wrote: I ve just briefly tested it and i ve noticed a few things:

- I didn't know only the hard texpages were used. I didn't even know their was a difference, and when they were created. could someone briefly tell me what their purpose was is?
- The hard texpage has actually more frames of the explsion than mine has. That makes my explosion to short.
- I shouldn't have done an animation. This was meant as a test and i wanted to do some work on the bodies but i accidentaly opened the wrong texfile. I thought i could give that a try just as well. But since the image is so rapidly changing, you can't really get a good look at it :(
- I can't really see whether the png transparancy is working or not. is it ? your screenshots will most likely answer this one and the 3rd one :)
1.I think someone said the soft ones are for the removed software renderer only
2.The hardware ones are better and the only ones used.
3.imo the explosion/projectile texture/animations are fine,though the droid destroy FX is too crappy and repetive(it just randomly launches the parts to random directions...)
4.it works in Grim's transparent water texture iirc

And a side note:
it would be interesting to see some bigger textures to be used in a 'fps benchmark' test via 'debug + timedemo',since I still insist that the current bottleneck of wz renderer performance is geometry,because I got almost identical fps w/ or w/o all glcoords2f() functions,though I havent really found any solid evidence except that source change test to support my point.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Watermelon wrote:
And a side note:
it would be interesting to see some bigger textures to be used in a 'fps benchmark' test via 'debug + timedemo',since I still insist that the current bottleneck of wz renderer performance is geometry,because I got almost identical fps w/ or w/o all glcoords2f() functions,though I havent really found any solid evidence except that source change test to support my point.
I'll help you out as soon as i know by what building the markes roof is being used. I've made a high res roof texture but can't seem to build something ingame that uses it? So i can't really see the effect :p

Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Jeej i found it.

On the right : The old low res texture
on the left : the new high res texture

You can see that i m not a texture artist but more important is that the picture looks much sharper and detailed. So far the only performance tests i ve been able to do both gave me the max of 60 FPS . Ofcourse this doesn't mean that no performance decrease will be seen. It is most likely that if you could see the real numbers, the performance of the low res textures would be worse since the videocard has to do more calculations to get the texture correctly on the model but ofcourse it's always a trade off between quality and performance. I think if good textures are created the quality option should be schoosen definetly since modern pc's have so much more to offer than warzone is aksking right now :)
Last edited by Hatsjoe on 20 Apr 2007, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

I am sorry but I can hardly notice the difference between your low res and high res texture except the ventilator,maybe it's because the original warzone texture has some low color bits/blur effects in textures to 'simulate' the shaded building materials.

doubling the texture size 256x256 to 512x512 and 512x512 to 1024x1024 should be enough for better details in textures,though we need to clean up the low color bits/blur effects and add more details to the stretched old textures.

edit:added the textures I forgot to include in that 'tiweaked tileset texture' thread:

2x size + emboss'ed player building textures(manually clean-up them a bit after applied the emoboss filters)

Last edited by Watermelon on 20 Apr 2007, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Watermelon wrote: I am sorry but I can hardly notice the difference between your low res and high res texture except the ventilator,maybe it's because the original warzone texture has some low color bits/blur effects in textures to 'simulate' the shaded building materials.
I initially thought the same.
He posted 2 comparison images above each other. Each image is splited into a left and a right half, from which you can only see the left (new) part.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Watermelon wrote: I am sorry but I can hardly notice the difference between your low res and high res texture except the ventilator,maybe it's because the original warzone texture has some low color bits/blur effects in textures to 'simulate' the shaded building materials.

doubling the texture size 256x256 to 512x512 and 512x512 to 1024x1024 should be enough for better details in textures,though we need to clean up the low color bits/blur effects and add more details to the stretched old textures.

edit:added the textures I forgot to include in that 'tiweaked tileset texture' thread:

2x size + emboss'ed player building textures(manually clean-up them a bit after applied the emoboss filters)

Look at them on a pixel to pixel basis. On the ventilation canals on the top you can clearly see that alot of pixels are stretched. You really have to look very good to see what it is. On my image every pixel is perfect. And yes mine are not good textures cause there are no shadows etc,.. but just look at pure image quality and pixel correctness. You have to see the difference.
Kyor
Trained
Trained

Post by Kyor »

I think warzone2100 has a low variety of scenery pieces.

See the cityscape tileset of this game( C&C: RA2)

and it's equally aged ¬¬

I think, if we can do, remake the campaign's tileset position, to make a more beautyfull and full scenery.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Kyor wrote: I think warzone2100 has a low variety of scenery pieces.

See the cityscape tileset of this game( C&C: RA2)

and it's equally aged ¬¬

I think, if we can do, remake the campaign's tileset position, to make a more beautyfull and full scenery.
Or add scenery in the form of pie models. :)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

it's a game set in the post-apocalyptic future... i don't think "beautiful" is the first that should come to mind... if anything, we should try to make the tilesets look as depressing as possible.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

kage wrote: it's a game set in the post-apocalyptic future... i don't think "beautiful" is the first that should come to mind... if anything, we should try to make the tilesets look as depressing as possible.
The word beautiful has never been mentioned. Kyor was talking about the variety of scenery, and i agree with him 100%. Although it's not on my most wanted list.
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

You know what separates good photographers from mediocre ones? The good ones can take beautiful photo's of the most depressing subjects. I think that is the beauty we should aim for, tough we'd need to gather a lot of talent for that.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

gerard_ wrote: You know what separates good photographers from mediocre ones? The good ones can take beautiful photo's of the most depressing subjects. I think that is the beauty we should aim for, tough we'd need to gather a lot of talent for that.
that's correct, but again the word diversity is being confused with the word beautiful. the more diversity, the more depressing scenes you can make.
Kyor
Trained
Trained

Post by Kyor »

The scene can be beautyfull, but catastrophic =P

Like the C&C3 ones.