Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
ironsolder
Greenhorn

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by ironsolder »

why to enhance old model while you can make fully new ??
Attachments
2.jpg
Karthik_Prakash_Iyer
Greenhorn

Post by Karthik_Prakash_Iyer »

-_- Is that a tank? Or an artillery weapon? -_-
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@MaNGusT: actually, as long as you are animating the transform matrix of individual pie levels rather than having frames with new geometry in each frame, object space NM works without problems (see the oil derrick). You can even have bone deformation as long as you correctly interpolate the normalMatrix and send it to the fragment shader. Still not as flexible as tangent space though.

The ani files are not that bad either, except warzone has no "rest pose", which means that all the pivot points have to be in origo by default. This means the rotations around the natural pivot point become much more difficult and almost impossible to hand edit. In combination with the integer casting it also means that animations become wobbly and ugly.

@ironsolder: The answer is democracy; I feel there are people out there who would like to play the original warzone campaign with improved graphics. This also means I can provie a cooler multiplayer experience without having to mess with balance due to ading new units. Since the models have resemblance to the old ones, it will also be intuitive for the existing players and they won't have to re-learn to identify units. Anyway, respect to you for providing new content.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Anarchy, to be exact. A free artist never does what the majority wants to see. He always does what he himself desires to do. Which is almost always good, producing better results.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

NoQ wrote:Anarchy, to be exact. A free artist never does what the majority wants to see. He always does what he himself desires to do. Which is almost always good, producing better results.
Reminds me of what Pablo Picasso said:

All art is subversive.

And if it isn't subversive ? For those artifacts I think of it in terms of what I understand as"craftmanship", like the skills of an accomplished draftsman. In more specific terms, it's what makes for the vast gulf between Picasso's "Guernica" as a work of art and a perfect mechanical drawing of an Abrams.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote:Well there's only the normal and super cyborg as far as I know (possibly some jump jet stuff but not in stock wz) and those are already pretty much done, except for texturing. I was thinking of doing them all as a set using the same texpage.
I have a suggestion for the lancer cyborg's model. On original texture the upper barrel doesn't look like a barrel, it's more like a red laser pointer. While cyborg shoots only one rocket then reloads, it seems logically to make a pointer. :)
Last edited by MaNGusT on 02 Jan 2015, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hmm yes, I'll try that out :)
ImageImage
Danato
New user

Post by Danato »

Hello there

Warzone 2100 was one of the first games I played on PS1 many years ago and I could never forget about it, a couple years ago I found out that it became open source and available for pc and I spent some more hours on it, but I never really added any mods to keep it original.

But I got back to it recently with the new 3.1.2 to check the changes and I decided to give Art Revolution mod a try and its just FANTASTIC! Thats what I've been waiting for all these years, so I hovered this thread from page 1 to 101 to check each change you made (obviously I couldnt read all 5 years of comments :P ) and MaNGust's thread and peeked Alpha93 and Olrox's work, very nice.

The team is awesome, thank you guys for the hard work all this time, I loved your models and ideas, after installing the mod I decided to delete all my save files and start all over again just to enjoy the new textures and I just cant stop zooming to see each one of them closely :D

With that said, I'd like to make a suggestion that shouldn't be hard to implement, but in I think it would make the Transporter look a bit better imho.

I took a screenshot of the transporter from the game running since I dont have the software to edit .pie files and changed it very roughly only for illustration, I merely edited the screenshot with GIMP in 5 minutes as I thought it would illustrated what I mean better than an arrow, please forgive me if I hurt your artistic eyes with it :lol2:
I think the current transporter is a bit too plain, so you could add some color to the front and back
here its blue, as blue is my team color, but I'm sure you already knew that

If you could at least edit it the proper way it would give us a better idea

Original screenshot>ImageEdited *Don't beat me up* >Image
Last edited by Danato on 03 Apr 2015, 03:21, edited 2 times in total.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hi
Thanks for all the encouraging words, I agree that your version looks nicer, so I'll get some changes done, shouldn't take too long :)
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Ok, changed :)
The updated texture is in the svn repository, you can see it here
If you want, you can download a snapshot with the latest changes, but be aware that each time you change your mod, it kills your saved games.
Anyway, just rename the .zip file to .wz and it should run.
Attachments
transport17.jpg
transport17.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 14106 times
ImageImage
Danato
New user

Post by Danato »

That looks very nice :)
After going through your thread, I decided to start learning about 3D modeling, so now I'm taking some tutorials n blender and I can make some simple things so far, but I hope I can help someday. :lecture:

Meanwhile, I've got another little suggestion.
I noticed the new factory uses the almost the same color for both concrete walls and (steel?) doors, so the factory has a boxy feel for having the same material all around.

I was thinking if you can make the doors a bit brighter/shinier it could look more like a metal pattern, or at least it would have some contrast to differentiate the materials.

Anyways, its already way better than the original
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Meanwhile, I've got another little suggestion.
I noticed the new factory uses the almost the same color for both concrete walls and (steel?) doors, so the factory has a boxy feel for having the same material all around.

I vote yes, this sounds good to me
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Updated the factory texture a while ago, only got the screenshot posted today :)
Attachments
factory_texture_update.jpg
ImageImage
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

The changed door is nice. Something still feels a bit odd with those silos. But I can't come up with a good suggestion. Somehow the style of them is a bit in contrast to the rest of the factory. But it really just a minor detail. It's a great model.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Nice. The silos are a bit too shiny, perhaps.