Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by MaNGusT »

Seems like a bug with rendering multilevel pies. Only some meshes of model has right shading. Or WMIT exports bugged normals for such models.
Untitled.png

Do you have same shading problems when import obj s ?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

hmm no I don't have thoe problems when importing .objs
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

My two cents (according to locale :) ) to discussion. It seems somewhat ineffective, how scavanger holds weapon (at least on move). Supposing it's LMG or generic MG (aka pecheneg, m245, mg36) - I don't remember, how it's in reality, but weapon could be set higher (with shorter grip), to at least encumber legs while running. And butt could be at one level with shoulder. I found video (russian, but enough for showcases), with Pecheneg - how it's used by pro.

title translation: Specops Gunners! PKM shooting from all positions!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMmPPUvRBJk

there's some fun moment at the end (ru hulk with relatively heavy MG at hands):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeRTRSeA60U

Also, remembering, that units have ac/de_celeration, as well as different move speed on cliffs, they could have walk (not run) animation for such speed.

Yet I though, what if scav troops with enough unit skill (could be at late campaign besides MP) could shoot on move. Of course, movement should be done only on approach, and be slow. When retreating, no shooting possible.
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Hey Art Revolution team, which software programs do you use to create the models and textures, then convert the models to .PIE file format?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Black Project wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 00:07 Hey Art Revolution team, which software programs do you use to create the models and textures, then convert the models to .PIE file format?
We use 3dsmax, Blender to create models + export to *.obj and WMIT to convert obj to pie.
We also bake base textures by 3dsmax, Blender then edit them in image editor like GIMP, paint.net, photoshop etc.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@nick: He shoulders the rifle while firing, but not in the run animation.
As for the acceleration/deceleration: I'm working within the limited framework here, and at the scale we can see it in warzone, I would actually say the current system is good enough, i.e. one walkcycle, because he's alvays running at constant speed, and one firing animation, with no transition inbetween. There's also a flaming death animation, but I haven't touched that one so far.
@BP I also have an animation exporter script for blender that I have made myself, I can give it if anyone wants, but it's still a bit rough (need to add good scaling options etc.)
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Remade all the log cabins :)
Attachments
log_cabins_comparison.png
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Yours look so natural while original models look more abandoned. May be it's just noisy high contrast textures give such effect
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

He shoulders the rifle while firing, but not in the run animation.
Well, may be not so precisely, might depend on case. First time I did not look first vid full, now I catched moment when weapon ended up reversed (but in left hand instead of right). Yeah, all such moments are rather for fps).
For generic sharp-state animation - assuming they don't lie (which is like reason for unoptimal weapon pos after standup at vid), butt could be at level of its hand (by shoulder I meaned part above forearm - may be call it backarm?).
This is for running. For quiet stand - looks meaningless.

Edit: well, trainees at vid seem to be always sprinting when running.
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Keep in mind that these are not professional soldiers. Just guys with guns trying to look badass ;)
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hi guys
Status update: my old computer kept getting increasingly unstable (not just software, hardware), so I decided to get a new one (it's awesome :wink: )
Anyway, here is some work on the scav power generator I did, currently at 713 tris, might go up to 1000, but not much more than that.
Attachments
scav_powergen_preview1.png
ImageImage
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

Keep up the good work :D
ImageImage

Software: Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite 2011 / Adobe Photoshop CS2
aliswe
Trained
Trained

Post by aliswe »

So, a question. What is the purpose of these models, they go into the AR mod right? And is it supposed to be internalized within WZ?

I'm starting to think that this should be the standard WZ, and the original assets should be a Nostalgia Mod ...
aliswe
Trained
Trained

Post by aliswe »

Oh, Jorzi, WRT to frame skipping, we actually have animation frame interpolation in master since 3 days ago. I don't know if that can save us some ... problems? or animation data?

The oil derricks now have butter smooth animation ... it's just the pivot point for the pump head that is a bit off in the PIE :grin:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Colditz Good to see you man, I downloaded your stuff, gonna put it to good use.

@aliswe: as long as we only have a limited set of assets, I think it's good to keep it as a mod, but the plan has always been to make a complete overhaul of the graphics. In fact, the ground textures in the game now were done by ManGusT, with some transparent cliff decals by me.

Frame interpolation sounds great, although I can think of places where discontinuities in the movement are needed. A classic example are the muzzle flaskes in quake's twin-barreled machinegun: The barrels fire one at a time, so between frames the flash moves from one barrel to the other. Then when someone did interpolation, you could see the muzzle flash zigzagging between the barrel rather than just stay in front of each.
I have also been thinking of animating the tracks, but I want to be able to just animate one length of track links moving to the next spot before resetting the movement in a sawtooth-like pattern.
ImageImage