Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Jorzi wrote: @ corporal punishment you may be confusing it with a muzzle booster. Muzzle brakes (brake not break :P) reduce recoil by diverting the jet of hot powder gas to the side and are especially used on cannons and howizers but also on certain rifles where they can also work as flash suppressors, giving a better view for the shooter.
Hey, I'm just a stupid, dirty, vicious Army Ranger. Either we can eat it or we break it. The muzzle brakes I know from the MG3 and MK20 are for lowering cycle rate by reducing recoil energy. And don't nail me on spelling, Rangers are barely able to read! Ask KenAlcock if you don't take my word for it.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Ah yes at least the mg3 has a muzzle booster since it's recoil operated :wink:
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Jorzi wrote:Ah yes at least the mg3 has a muzzle booster since it's recoil operated :wink:
The german name of the MG3 component in question is "Rückstoßverstärker" which literally translates as recoil enhancer. The original MG42 had a flash suppressor in it's place. The MG3's recoil enhancer was introduced together with a spring in the breech corpus that absorbs part of the recoil energy. The MG42 had a massive breech corpus. Together both components lower the MG3's cycle rate as the breech is unlocked only after a delay caused by the spring, as the breech must be compressed before it can be unlocked. I always assumed this was known as a muzzle brake in english. Seems the trouble springs from verbal deficits on my side. What you say a muzzle brake really is was so far known to me as a divertor.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Mini-rocket artillery.
Low-poly is 84 tris.
Crits and suggestions, anyone?
Attachments
mra1.jpg
mra_wire.jpg
ImageImage
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Watching it for a while, i feels like the struts carrying the launch tubes are built in in the wrong direction. The diagonal edge should point backwards, that is. While these rockets do not exert much recoil to the launcher, having the struts face the other way would look more like something that can transfer such force to the turret substructure. Now that I think of it, the same goes for your mini-pod as well. Maybe it is just this detail what made people think of a webcam when looking at that model.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hmm yes, but rockets have no notable recoil, the only force they exert on the launcher is the friction when they leave.
The angle of the struts is there only to better deflect incoming projectiles :wink:
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Baked the light and normal maps, 256x256 as usual
Attachments
mra2.jpg
ImageImage
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Jorzi wrote:Baked the light and normal maps, 256x256 as usual
Looks great.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Okay, I got some sketches of twin and heavy machine gun done and wanted to scan and upload them. I didn't do it because my old USB scanner proved incompatible with my new Windows 7. :augh: So, I have to get me a new scanner first. The good thing is I need an A3 scanner for my job anyway. The bad thing is I'll be living on noodles without tomato sauce for the next month. Again. :annoyed:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Jorzi wrote:Hmm yes, but rockets have no notable recoil, the only force they exert on the launcher is the friction when they leave.
The angle of the struts is there only to better deflect incoming projectiles :wink:
Also, it makes more sense if it's like that because the launcher tubes tilt upward since the Mini-Rocket Battery fires with moderate angles most of the time - if it was too forward, the tubes would be expelling the burning propellant right into the base of the turret, causing extreme heat.

Apart from that hypothetical stuff, it looks very good to me - it's a nice thing that you are managing to mantain style similarities for the weapons while making them look distinct as a whole: this produces a "standardized" look for the units, which is interesting IMO. That should make texture producing somewhat easier as well.

Looks like I've got to get some shame in that face of mine and get some textures done - it's been some time since I've done any, actually :hmm:

~Olrox
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks Olrox, I'm trying to make them look like they're made by the same guys with the same manufacturing techniques (while still being unique of course :P )
And yes i eagerly await any texturing updates from you, although I understand that studies must have higher priorities.
ImageImage
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

MetalWarrior95 wrote:http://imagebin.org/98865
I don't get it O_o
Is there a funny context I'm missing or is it just a random post?
Jorzi wrote: And yes i eagerly await any texturing updates from you, although I understand that studies must have higher priorities.
Sure, and I'm getting very good grades XD ranging from 9.0~10 in all technical subjects, and all else above 7.0 :geek:
But I'm installing photoshop right now, so I'll probably get my hands working on some textures by tomorrow (I've been out all the day and had classes today by the morning - yeah, classes on saturday mornings ftw - so I'm pretty tired. Photoshop takes a very long time to install anyway, so I'll watch some movies and get some sleep :) ).

Keep 'em coming! FIRE IN THE HOOOOLE! :lol2:

~Olrox
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

More like
FIRE IN DA HOLE
I like all your models so far. As Olrox said, keep 'em coming.
Xfire-->chris37killer
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

Jorzi wrote:Baked the light and normal maps, 256x256 as usual
Looks pretty good! Keep up the good work! :)