Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by MaNGusT »

yeah, or even more space between. :-)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Unfortunately I couldn't add more space because of size limitations...
Oh and it's currently 196 polys for one side.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hipoly progress...
Attachments
heavyhalftracks3.jpg
ImageImage
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Very nice.
It reminds me "old days" when new models showed up very often. :-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

it seems that we inspire each other by posting new images of our works. :lol2: some kind of hidden competition here..
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I guess seeing you other people make stuff got me inspired to model something (despite having schoolwork to do :P ). I have been thinking about finishing the halftracks for a while, I've just never gotten to it. ;)
ImageImage
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

(ok, if you, reader, are just wanting to read about what I think of the model, please skip to the end of the post :wink: )
MaNGusT wrote:it seems that we inspire each other by posting new images of our works. :lol2: some kind of hidden competition here..
Indeed, AR sprouted from you making models and getting then ingame, and me wanting to do the same with mie XD

The secret formula is that true artists take such implicit competitions gladly and go ahead trying to improve their models. It ends up being a huge learning proccess, and that's what I think is most fascinating from internet communities.

I always feel happy that, even though I've abandoned almost all activity on the forums, the wishes I had, to see people work together aiming at their improvement and to see people enjoy the warzone universe even more, were sort of fulfilled. Maybe after all the fuss, perhaps, yes, I managed to achieve part of my goals... maybe.

I'm lunching quickly so I can use part of my break at work to finish the Arx Caeli. It brings things back to my memory and they're mostly good feelings, like those I had when me and mangust changed model files daily via e-mail in the beginning of AR. Good times, those :D

Ok, now about the half-tracks more specifically:

I think their look fits the role of a more sophisticated hybrid propulsion vehicle really well. But maybe the wheels could be scaled down a bit so you can have more space between them? I say that because, if they would really steer, they'd flip around a vertical axis fixed near the connection of each of their own rotation axes and the chassis, inside the armor. An alternative way of thinking about it is that the pair itself rotates along with the armor, which would make more sense if both parts of the propulsion were tracks, like in the Mammoth Tank from Command & Conquer 3 and 4.

Half-tracks were mainly used because the steering capability of the wheels were superior, mainly because they could rotate on a vertical axis very easily. I think it'd be nice to keep that as a key concept, and just in case someday in the future we have nice event-triggered animations. We could then have a "turning event" which could trigger an animation that steered the wheels 8)

But even the technical care around that would be nice IMHO. I'd scale them down precisely 0.618 times (the inverse of the golden ratio) so that proportion is mantained in relation to the current really nice fit.

But the work is indeed refined, once again you show genuine talent Jorzi. I can die saying that :wink:

Now enough talk for a few days :lol2:

Kind regards,
~Olrox
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

can we expect moving wheels?
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Hope so, like rotating engines for transports etc.

MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

zany wrote:can we expect moving wheels?
currently - no.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

zany wrote:can we expect moving wheels?
hmmm when I said "in the future", I really meant the distant future :P
Sekmeton
Trained
Trained

Post by Sekmeton »

Olrox wrote:I think their look fits the role of a more sophisticated hybrid propulsion vehicle really well. But maybe the wheels could be scaled down a bit so you can have more space between them? I say that because, if they would really steer, they'd flip around a vertical axis fixed near the connection of each of their own rotation axes and the chassis, inside the armor. An alternative way of thinking about it is that the pair itself rotates along with the armor, which would make more sense if both parts of the propulsion were tracks, like in the Mammoth Tank from Command & Conquer 3 and 4.

Half-tracks were mainly used because the steering capability of the wheels were superior, mainly because they could rotate on a vertical axis very easily. I think it'd be nice to keep that as a key concept, and just in case someday in the future we have nice event-triggered animations. We could then have a "turning event" which could trigger an animation that steered the wheels 8)
The wheel size looks good, but you're right... Maybe there should be only a pair of wheels and a new track design...

It's hard to think of external propulsion since in real life, the half-tracks vehicles are basically truks:

Maybe I should remove my location o_O
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

It you get down to it, half-tracks were introduced to combine the off-road capabilities of tracks with the easy steering of wheels at comparatively low production costs. Unfortunately, it did not work quite as well as it was hoped. Although the Israeli Defense Forces until recently fielded the time-honored M3 Halftrack Sekmeton showed us, these vehicles were less agile then both a tracked and wheeled vehicle, resulting in a huge turn radius. Off-road qualities actually proved to be poor. But the tracks allowed to mount any heavy equipment on half-tracks, including air-defense, artillery and cranes.
German SdKFZ 11, SdKFZ 250 and SdKFZ 251 half-tracks of WW2 met the same agility problems of course. To compensate, german engineers introduced track brakes similar to a fully tracked vehicle, generating average off-road qualities. Needless to say this abolished one of the major advantages of these vehicles, which was the less complex design of the tracks. The half-track design was still a valid economical option since SdKFZ 11, SdKFZ 250 and SdKFZ 251 could be assembled on the same lines as civilian Hanomag trucks, using identical components to a large extend.
Bottom line is half-tracks are inferior to wheels in terms of agility but superior in terms of traction and load. Tracks supersede half-tracks in any respect, including production costs. So half-tracks are your choice when you need to haul heavy things but are low on resources.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

About turning the wheels: It was as always a question of realism vs design. The original halftracks are already about as long as they can be without looking stupid, so making my design a bit longer was not an option imo. I thought I could get away with cramming the front wheels together in order to make room for everything, but apparently I couldn't :P
I'll try to scale them down a bit and see if I can rearrange some elements to make more room ;)
ImageImage
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Jorzi wrote:About turning the wheels: It was as always a question of realism vs design.
Yeah, but such small details sometimes make big difference. ;-)