Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 19:26As you can see, I also set the alpha threshold to 0.5, because it eliminates any colourbleed along alpha edges, and I find it looks better overall
Can you show what you mean? I don't see any difference :(
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

MaNGusT wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 01:44
Jorzi wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 01:23It works :DNormals and tangents also seem to be exactly as in blender, perfect :)
In wz it works perfectly too. I don't know why they decided to wait 3.4.0 for such update. Non of us are familiar with vulkan code so it will take ages to rewrite it from ogl. I hope they will change their decision and release it for 3.3.* and then we could switch our workflow for a fastest way. :-)
Jorzi wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 15:53 Personally I don't see the vulkan API as that necessary for modernizing the graphics. I thought the main reason for switching to Vulkan was that we have developers who are enthusiastic about the new api and that it would make development easier? The previous decision to switch to opengl ES seemed more logical to me, since we want compatibility with as much hardware as possible.
The goal is to support multiple graphics backends, for as wide support / compatibility as possible.

So we'll actually be supporting:
  • OpenGL
    • OpenGL 3.0+ Core Profile (default), OpenGL 2.1 Compatibility Profile
    • OpenGL ES 3.0 / 2.0
  • Vulkan 1.0+
Which also gets us:
  • DirectX (via LibANGLE) on Windows (OpenGLES -> DirectX)
  • Metal (via MoltenVK) on macOS (Vulkan -> Metal)
for "free"

MaNGusT wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 19:45
Jorzi wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 15:53Personally I don't see the vulkan API as that necessary for modernizing the graphics.
as far as I understand, they want multi api support for wz but it will still require some code changes to optional normals directive. Also, I don't know who will fix that since I-Nod is not a graphical engine developer, it took some time to google and write necessary code for right "tangents". Hundreds of holywars about how it should look like, inverted Y channel that can't fix and other good stuff XD

My thoughts are that we need this normals directive today not tomorrow and I absolutely don't care on what api it will work. I just want to create models with standard technique(without limitations) and put it to mod. :)
The good news is that the multi api PR now includes the optional per-vertex normals support! 8) (With huge thanks to MaNGusT who helped track down some issues impacting the Vulkan backend.)

https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/pull/489
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks for working on these things pastdue & MaNGusT
After some very slight modifications to the fragment shader, I was able to render both my old models, the new tangent space models and the vanilla models at the same time.
Edit: Attaching my edited shaders for reference
Attachments
tcmask.frag
(4.99 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
tcmask.vert
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
log_cabin_ingame.jpg
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I still don't understand why do you prefer to change the strenght and color of lights in shaders instead of changing textures? :ninja:
Also, don't we focus on recreating vanilla models into new one?
My thoughts are that shaders have to be universal to any artists, not only us.
Last edited by MaNGusT on 02 Mar 2020, 04:04, edited 4 times in total.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

MaNGusT wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 03:00 My thoughts is that shaders have to be universal to any artists, not only us.
:good:

It's best if we can stabilize on a pipeline with a single set of WMIT + WZ shaders that yields predictable, consistent results for everyone. (Ideally, no shader modifications should be needed by the ArtRev mod, or anyone wanting to do art / texture work.)

If additional parameters are needed in the PIE files (for example) - that's something I'm happy to explore.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

pastdue wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 03:23If additional parameters are needed in the PIE files (for example) - that's something I'm happy to explore.
the list is small but hard :D
1) allow event-driven animation for all types of models.
2) a new type of connectors should be added. It's called Pivot Point. One per pie level. If specified, it should replace the calculated center of pie level. The main reason to use it is to fix aiming animation with new models. (when a barrel intersect its turret model when an enemy is too high/low)
3) need a way to disable terrible default recoil animation that uses scaling and a way to enable a new recoil animation without scaling in selected pie level of gn* models.
4) a simple SSAO would be perfect. It could add a lot of realism and "atmosphere" to plastic world of wz.
5) return the FOG :augh:

Btw, when optional normals will be released to 3.4.0, I-Nod will help me with normals for terrain.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Oops I left my custom values in the shader code. I like my light to be slightly yellow and my shadows blue. That was actually not my point. Personally I think Ambient 0.5, Diffuse 1.0 and Specular 1.0 are good enough for now, although in the future, once the terrain is also lit the same way, I think it would be a good idea to unlock it for the map makers to play with (i.e. make it map specific).
1) allow event-driven animation for all types of models.
2) a new type of connectors should be added. It's called Pivot Point. One per pie level. If specified, it should replace the calculated center of pie level. The main reason to use it is to fix aiming animation with new models. (when a barrel intersect its turret model when an enemy is too high/low)
3) need a way to disable terrible default recoil animation that uses scaling and a way to enable a new recoil animation without scaling in selected pie level of gn* models.
4) a simple SSAO would be perfect. It could add a lot of realism and "atmosphere" to plastic world of wz.
5) return the FOG
This.
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I finally finished remaking all the 10 different hut designs and exporting them.
BTW I noticed that WMIT sometimes loads normals incorrectly for pie files with normal data.

Also I tried replacing my custom light values with the default ones and it looked fine so I won't be messing with those anymore :P
Attachments
wz2100-20200308_110637-SUB_1_2_crop.png
arizona_houses_tanspace_2.png
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I see you added some changes to shaders. I have a few questions :roll:
1) You did -Y to object-space maps to not do invert to blue channel in dozens of textures? XD Yeah, we probably need a batch converter
2) What is the point to use a normal map without a specular map?

btw, good big update for arizona. hope someday we will finish first campaign. :)
There are still few models left, afair:
-new textures for python body
-mortar emplacement
-Broken crane
-broken cars and wreckages (I've already started to work on it)
-few big neutral buildings (I've already started to work on it)
-babas buildings
Last edited by MaNGusT on 08 Mar 2020, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hi
1) Yes, we probably need a batch converter :D All I can say is, the shading was correct this way :P
2) We have a specular map, but for legacy reasons, it's in the alpha channel of the normal map. This correction could also be removed with a batch converter which extracts the specular map.

One addition to the list would be the scav soldiers, which could be skeleton animated and use tangent space maps now that we have the tech for it :)
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 13:49One addition to the list would be the scav soldiers, which could be skeleton animated and use tangent space maps now that we have the tech for it :)
but we don't have skeleton(joint) animation support. :( Joint animation could be used for good build animation or advanced fire,reload, recoil animations, or cyborgs movement.. Ah, dreams.
On the other hand, almost all above could be repalced by object animation with pivot points :D
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

My blender export script automatically takes joint-based skeleton animation with constraints, inverse kinematics, interpolation and all the good stuff and converts it into per-frame absolute transformations. The only limitation is that there can be no deformation or multi-bone transformation, except for scaling. This means that each limb has to be its own part, like a pinocchio doll, but at our scales it looks just fine.
On the other hand, almost all above could be repalced by object animation with pivot points
Edit: I think I just described exactly what you meant by this :P
Since the firing, movement and death animations are actually not hardcoded for the scavs, this should be easier than replacing the recoil animations.
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 14:14 but at our scales it looks just fine.
Is this means that with tangent-space maps you can now animate babas you made long time ago?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

MaNGusT wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 14:18
Jorzi wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 14:14 but at our scales it looks just fine.
Is this means that with tangent-space maps you can now animate babas you made long time ago?
Yeah I think it should be possible :)
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 14:20Yeah I think it should be possible :)
awesome.

Also, I tried to understand how to fix this in mod, but have no luck. (