Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by marsbound2024 »

They look great, though I am under the impression that the turrets need to be re-textured. Also, those wheels are a new model, correct? It would be great to see the completely old design and texture with the new design and texture.

Also, I'd love to help out with texturing, but I am afraid that I do not know much about it and it isn't the easiest thing from what I've read.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

marsbound2024 wrote:Also, those wheels are a new model, correct?
Only the body is Jorzi's, everything else is stock, sorry for the confusion.
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Post by marsbound2024 »

Safety0ff wrote:
Only the body is Jorzi's, everything else is stock, sorry for the confusion.
Ah alright, thanks. The turret is also stock? I thought the barrel looked somewhat like Jorzi's model, but I suppose I am mistaken.

Anyway, I think I can notice quite a deal of improvement in Jorzi's model and texturing. Does anyone know if texturing works by simply painting on the features to the 3D model or do you need to make a two dimensional "sheet" that is applied to the body? For instance, you load up Photoshop and make a texture of a certain resolution then import it into something such as Blender and apply it to the model?
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

marsbound2024 wrote:....

Anyway, I think I can notice quite a deal of improvement in Jorzi's model and texturing. Does anyone know if texturing works by simply painting on the features to the 3D model or do you need to make a two dimensional "sheet" that is applied to the body? For instance, you load up Photoshop and make a texture of a certain resolution then import it into something such as Blender and apply it to the model?

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4448
:lecture:

"Almost all our faults are more pardonable than the methods we resort to, to hide them." - Duc de la Rochefoucauld
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Post by marsbound2024 »

cumandgetit wrote:
marsbound2024 wrote:....

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4448
Fantastic! Thank you.
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

marsbound2024 wrote:
Fantastic! Thank you.
you bet :D if anyone in these boards can meet the challenges involved, i have a sense you can. :3
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

I've updated this post viewtopic.php?p=70461#p70461 to include more zoom levels.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Please note that the new python body was not made by me. It was originally modelled by mangust and textured by olrox. Later I re-mapped and retopologized it and made a hi-poly of it (using olrox's texture for reference) so that it now has normal and ao maps.
Just to make sure the right people are credited :wink:

EDIT: @marsbound: You're more than welcome to try out some texturing. Just pm me about what model you wish to texture, and I will send you lightmap and polygon wireframe textures so that you can see what stuff is mapped where.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cumandgetit wrote:i will add that though the above speaks to the state of affairs as i understand it as well, there is something about Olrox's texture art that shines through in a very pleasingway to the eye even at the scale the game is mostly played. if drive mode is ever fully developed to be useful in battle this fact of Olrox's texture work will be even more appreciable.
There's a different reason Olrox's texture art isn't in the game - he's pretty busy these days, so I don't think he ever got from the step of "make models and textures" to "put them in a format Warzone understands". I've been meaning to do that myself some day, but I'm pretty busy as well.
Safety0ff wrote:Only the body is Jorzi's, everything else is stock, sorry for the confusion.
marsbound2024 wrote:Ah alright, thanks. The turret is also stock? I thought the barrel looked somewhat like Jorzi's model, but I suppose I am mistaken.
This is what I was talking about in my earlier statement: Though the new models are excellent, the differences aren't very visible at standard zoom levels. We do, of course, still greatly appreciate Jorzi's high resolution models, since they are useful for the design screen, high resolution monitors, and drive mode.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Just realized I had not made the bombard yet (out of the alpha campaign models)
Anyway, here's the base model, 104 tris total.
Attachments
bombard1.jpg
ImageImage
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Zarel wrote: There's a different reason Olrox's texture art isn't in the game - he's pretty busy these days, so I don't think he ever got from the step of "make models and textures" to "put them in a format Warzone understands". I've been meaning to do that myself some day, but I'm pretty busy as well.

That's true, I'm really busy until next year. It's the graduation semester of my technical civil construction course, and it involves half-day work as a subject - result is 11 hour a day of dedication to my course. It's really difficult since the approvation score of my university is 2 points higher than the average and I've got classes saturday by the morning, and half of my supposedly free-time goes kaput due to researches and additional projects I need to develop for the technical subjects of the course.

I know I said that I'd get back working with AR soon, but that half-day work happened so suddenly that I couldn't even prepare for that. It happened literally from one day to another and I've only remembered to check my WZ topic reply notification inbox today. I just can't dedicate any of my free time for WZ right now, otherwise I'll either not manage to finish my course, will get fired, or will die of boredom because I wouldn't have time for my own entertainment (yeah, I need that too, occasionally :P ). And on top of that, I don't have money to lunch until the end of this week, let alone buy some shoes (I don't have a single one without holes on them) or clothes or anything. But my life will twist and I'll have my dignity back someday. I'm investing heavily on that.

Once again I'm sorry. It is far from the first time, and odds are, it won't be the last time that I just can't keep up with my wishes to work with WZ.

But, you all know, I always get back. Since 2007. 8)

Off-topic enough, I hope that marsbound can manage to produce some good textures (hopefully my humble guide will help a bit), and/or that someone with awesome skills emerge from the shadows to aid AR on it's quest. Probably later I'll be able to provide textures with some technical quality (I never spent time learning the right way to make them, it was all about intuitive, innocent creativity).

IMHO the improved-quality models will shine when the graphical engine evolves. Features like following cameras and drive-mode itself, added to some interesting ideas like the truly immersive commander units, would show how they can (and hopefully will) make a difference. The shine on the eyes of a new player that appreciates detailed models, texture and geometry (like flesh and bones, yeah) is what keeps the true artist going. If the artists hope to see detail appreciation from the hardcore, insane, mechanical players, that take it seriously and functionally, then the purpose of composing art is gone.

Warzone needs to attract new players, and new players are used to beautiful graphics. We can't compromise the minimalist system requirements, because that's one of the interesting aspects of the game as well, of course. It is that balance that the AR team is meant to reach, and it's in that balance that the new models I see fit in.

Well, I've wrote too much in a row I think. That's because I don't think I'll be writing anything else 'round here soon, unless under specific request, so I just wanted to say everything I thought. I hope I don't make anyone mad because of the "novel-like post" :lol2:

cya
~Olrox
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

i've missed a bit, but i have to say, im liking what im seeing going back through this! amazed at the quality and really hoping to see this all finished in my lifetime ;)
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Zarel wrote:This is what I was talking about in my earlier statement: Though the new models are excellent, the differences aren't very visible at standard zoom levels. We do, of course, still greatly appreciate Jorzi's high resolution models, since they are useful for the design screen, high resolution monitors, and drive mode.
IMO a truer representation of the geometry allows textures to look good with different viewer position & orientation. Note that this doesn't apply to the small models (weapons, propulsions) as much as it does to the medium to large models.
Example:
The python model looks debatably o.k. from the front, but when the position + orientation changes it gets horribly distorted.
Screenshot.jpg
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Did a little paintover sketch for my ideas about the bombard :)
Attachments
bombardsketch.png
ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

yep that looks nice :)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6