bombards1.jpg
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Wolftrak
Trained
Trained

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by Wolftrak »

I've gotta say: This looks awesome! It has a bit starcraft-y feeling to it,and I mean that in a good way.
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

Now We're Talking.
ImageImage

Software: Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite 2011 / Adobe Photoshop CS2
Sekmeton
Trained
Trained

Post by Sekmeton »

It looks great!!! Specially the last pic... it's just mind blowing! Excellent work (as always) Jorzi
Maybe I should remove my location o_O
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

bombard is huge, much bigger than original. :D
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Bombard is huge, but I checked it and the original is also huge :P
Really, they have roughly the same dimensions, check it out ;)

Thanks for the encouragement, Sekmeton and Wolftrak :)

Long time no see, colditz. Do you still have your building models somewhere safe?
I think we have what it takes to finally integrate them ;)
ImageImage
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

This is absolutely glorious. Once the entire game is redone in this style, it's going to be amazing to compare the original graphics and the improved ones and see how much they have improved. :D

One glaring problem, though: the way the light bodies are set up, some of the turrets look rather ridiculous on them. I dunno if this was as evident with the old versions of the models, but as it stands its rather funny to watch a lepoard bodied tank carry a mini rocket array. :P
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Hey Jorzi I'm running into issues with trying to unwrap my own models. The textures we use for Warzone MUST be unwrapped, correct? We can't just assign a single image to faces? I know it's probably something easy that I'm overlooking, but I finally got texturing to work on my end -- at least, single-image ones and then I assign those to individual faces.

And is there any word at all about the new model format? You'd be the fella to ask. :D

Great work so far, btw.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

MaNGusT wrote:bombard is huge, much bigger than original. :D
nope...bombard is a huge weapon... look at the civil war pictures of mortars....they be huge.
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Decided to take another look at the current version of AR, and when I booted up the trunk this morning, I was suprised to find that the framerate was back to its normal smooth self. I had originally thought that the choppiness I experienced before was due to the more detailed models, but it looks like it may have just been some temporary computer trouble. XD Anyway, while most of it looks fantastic, there's a couple of improvements I think should be made:

- The heavy wheels look mostly fine, but I feel like the gap between the two frontal, uncovered sets is a little too much, especially since the rear sets are much closer together. I don't know how long it would take to fix the mesh, but I think making the distance smaller would give the model a more sturdy look.

- The new Project bodies have a little too much white on them methinks, at least compared to the old ones. The textures should probably be edited to reduce the contrast between the grey and the white.

- Also, I dunno if this is a glitch or an oversight, but while the first version of the sensor tower uses the new sensor turret, the hardcrete improvement combines the dish and the body with the base of the old model, and completely removes the green struts on either side.

Keep up the great work. :wink:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Goth: For uv-unwrapping you need to use the uv editor, just split your screen so you get one window with the 3d view and another one whose type you change into "UV/image editor". You then go to edit mode, select the faces you want to unwrap and press "u". The most useful options in the menu are "unwrap" and "project from view".
For the "unwrap" option, you will most probably need to use seams if you want to unwrap the whole mesh at once. Seams are places where the mesh is "cut open" in order to flatten it into a UV-map. You can place them by selecting the edges you want and press ctrl+e, choosing "mark seam". Try experimenting with different ways of putting the seams and unwrapping, and remember that, if you can get away with it, it is preferable to place seams in less visible places (not always possible, though), since the seams can easily produce visible discontinuities in the texture...

@Cyclonatorz: I'll take a look at the heavy wheels. I may be able to do some small changes without messing up the uv-mapping and stuff. However, the reason they are further apart is that the two front wheels are supposed to steer, while the rear wheels are rigid.
I haven't personally made the bodies, so I won't directly comment on those. Maybe we could have a look at it once we make normal maps for them...
You must be pretty sharp since you noticed the sensor tower :P I have also been a bit frustrated about it, actually. All turrets are separated into two parts, the base and the "barrel" or whatever is attached to the base. Apparently the sensor tower uses a different base and I haven't yet found it (the naming conventions really are a pain). Maybe I'll find out what .pie file it uses by looking at the .wrf files...
ImageImage
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Thanks for the tips, Jorzi. The next step, after making my "separate images", is to 'consolidate into a single image' for the texpage?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Not entirely sure what your workflow is, but it sounds pretty ok (i haven't even used that function before :P)
If you're usure about what it will do, it's always a good idea to try it on a duplicate of your model, or make a backup before doing it.

About the new model format, safetyOff seems to have some ideas, but it's still just ideas, I think. Check the Lighting thread for more info ;)
ImageImage
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Hehe ok, thanks man. I'll take that as a 'no'. :P

Your advice has been invaluable thus far. Thanks to you, I was able to do full mock-ups and renderings of the things we'll be building for my business venture. 3D artist, I'm not -- but engineering & design I was born to do. :D So thanks!
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

Jorzi wrote: Long time no see, colditz. Do you still have your building models somewhere safe?
I think we have what it takes to finally integrate them ;)
Everything is there, but I lost the power generator because of a corrupted file.

I'm redoing some of my work at the moment.
ImageImage

Software: Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite 2011 / Adobe Photoshop CS2