Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
aliswe
Trained
Trained

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by aliswe »

In the specific case of the twin barreled MG, I believe that optimally there should be two muzzle flashes, it's not like the flash should necessarily be totally invisible when the other's firing.

But that's missing your point, ofc. We discussed the need for ability of disabling but didn't find any usecase currently, so we merged it directly.

Should we perhaps have some way of putting parameters in an animation, or in fact in any different directive of the PIE file.

One suggestion could be that the last part in any directive allows a ({}) containing meta data in JSON format.

Then we can perhaps finally get out of the positional parameters which is VERY cumbersome and unituitive... I mean like 123,14,235,36,236,36,...

In this example, we could perhaps specify:

Code: Select all

ANIMOBJECT 60 0 25 ({interpolation: "none"})
          0           0       0       0       0       0       0     1.0    1.0    1.0
          1           0       0     544       0       0       0     1.0    1.0    1.0
Or even on a specific frame, would be OK.

Now, we start to see other possibilities, such as adding different types of easing to the interpolation, or what about bones and rigging? What if we want to add inverse kinematics. That would be on a LEVEL i guess:

Code: Select all

LEVEL 1 ({kinematics: "inverse", "pole_target": [40,122,60], "pole_angle": 180, influence: 0.5})
POINTS 56
	-52 7 22
	51 7 22
	51 7 -21
BTW, what about a droid with RASTA BEADS? ok that's overboard ...
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I think that the ability to choose "linear" and "none" are all we need. Anything fancier can simply be done in e.g. blender and it will generate the extra keyframes for you
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Lord High Unggoy
Greenhorn

Post by Lord High Unggoy »

I love to see that the community is still alive. I didn't even know this game had a community until a few days ago.
Jorzi, keep up the good work man, the Art Revolution project is awesome. You guys have done some awesome work.
Lord High Unggoy
Greenhorn

Post by Lord High Unggoy »

@Jorzi
Any new updates for us? I noticed the new minor update for the Art Revolution mod today.
Can't wait to have all of the Scavenger stuff updated. The vehicles look amazing
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I've been thinking about animating the propulsion models, but first I had to make consistent specularity maps for them. Made painted surfaces and tires semigloss, bare metal and scratches glossy, and crevices and dirt matte. I'm thinking about reusing some of the textures across models, especially wheels, but maybe the track patterns as well, if we make them tangent space. If they are to be animated I also have to remove any baked-in directional lighting or ambient shadows.
Attachments
propulsions_anim.png
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

At least you could keep self-shadowing for animated parts.
Using one texture is a good idea but then there should be support of sub-object materials to use 2 different textures of each type in one model. Or just allow to every mesh (level) has its own set of textures.
Another way could be splitting animated wheels and tracks to a separate models like it's done to gun barrels and turrets.
AModick
New user

Post by AModick »

Hey, guys! Do you have a discord server of wz2100 development? I'm 3d modeller and wanna help you update models for warzone.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hi
I occasionally hang out on the official warzone2100 discord server: https://discord.gg/kbPsPUp
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hello all
After some discussion with pastdue I started toying with the idea of having a simplified mesh as shadow caster.
Here are some tests with the HQ model. The full model is 2000 triangles.
I set up a scene in blender so that one model is visible but doesn't cast shadows, while the other is an invisible shadow caster. The shadow casting technique is a bit different, but the general result should be the same in wz.
I did one test with just the decimate modifier set to 0.3 (599 tris). It produces some artifacts due to the shadow mesh being outside concave features in some places, but not as much as I had feared.
I also made one test by hand, removing only convex features, resulting in 651 tris, and I think that one looks pretty good
Attachments
Manually deleted geometry, no intersections
Manually deleted geometry, no intersections
Decimate modifier, some shadows on illuminated faces
Decimate modifier, some shadows on illuminated faces
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hi guys
I had a bit of free time to polish my blender skills, so I decided to see if I can revisit the cutscenes using existing models. I also updated the briefing video to render nicely on blender 3.0, and added in some details, so it closely matches the original.
Attachments
transport_takeoff_preview2.png
transport_takeoff_preview1.jpg
brfcom0004.png
ImageImage
Maitreyarck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maitreyarck »

I like it a lot! :3
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

WOW :-) Some grain and bloom effects could be fine there to gain filmic atmosphere.

As for latest news - I'm ending new terrain textures to make them ready to merge, aslo working on scavs factory, lookout tower and some other feature models from alpha.
Plan to adapt Colditz's models.

Happy to see you here again. ^^
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks MaNGusT, those cliffs look absolutely beautiful :wink:

Did some more work, here are two frame-to-frame comparisons. Still need to add trucks.
Attachments
transport_takeoff_preview4.png
transport_takeoff_preview3.png
ImageImage
Maitreyarck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maitreyarck »

If it could be by default, that would be nice. :3
Jorzi