Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by Alpha93 »

The game supports object-space normal mapping right now.
Nice to see you again Colditz.
Xfire-->chris37killer
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

I'm watching the boards here and there, but I'm not up to date. I just want to know if my services are still needed after,... well ...4 years.

Limitation 4 years ago was still the polycount and the multimaterial subject, don't know if that has changed by now. Jorzi seems to produce meshes way beyond that polycount. My skill developed forward since that, too, and I modeled quiet a few 3D weapons since then... and a few other things.

And as far as I can see, Warzone 2100 has made no step forward regarding the graphics, except some texture updates.
ImageImage

Software: Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite 2011 / Adobe Photoshop CS2
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Your skills are always appreciated :)
What we have now is:
-Object space normal map; this one actually gives you the smoothest seams & edges, but makes reusing texture space much harder, therefore taking more memory. If you're more used to tangent space you can do your models that way, then make a secondary UV layout and bake the textures to the new layout.
-Specular & diffuse maps; currently I'm using the normalmap alpha channel for specularity, but Per has added support for a specularmap directive for .pie files in trunk, so for the next version of warzone, we can probably rewrite the shader to use a full rgb specular texture.

Per is also porting the rendering to openGL ES 2.0 and has tried replacing the stencil shadows with shadow maps. The terrain rendering still needs to be ported to shader-based rendering before shadow maps are useful, though. This would, however, mean that most limitations on polycount would be lifted.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

Is there any "ToDo" list that needs be done? As far as I can see you done a few buildings which doesn't look that bad, I like the factory.

Usual, I create a Tangent space map NM, a specular map SM, and a diffuse map DM.
ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I guess the old ToDo list would require some updating. For the structures though, we still lack:
cyborg factory
vtol factory
repair facility
power generator
(command relay center)<=not so high priority

We could also use new scav structures if you're interested.
Dunno if you've ever used the WMIT export tool, but if you send me models, I can probably convert them to object space and export them to the game without too much hassle ;)
ImageImage
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

I take the power generator and vtol factory, for now.

scavenger buildings would be interesting, have to take a look.

I have seen that you raised the polycount for many buildings, what your current target for one building? Below 2000?
ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I've been experimenting a bit with how high one can go. I guess 1000-2000 is good for buildings. Once you turn off shadows, however, polycount can be quite high.
I'm actually more concerned about the video memory limit, since I can't reuse too much texture space, but I've tested with a geforce 8600 GT and it still works fine.
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Long time no post.

Some small progress on the cyborg cannon.
Polycounts: 212 for torso, 180 for legs, 61 for cannon.
Attachments
cyborg_1.png
ImageImage
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

The model itself is nice (especially the canon), but something about the hand on its right arm and its legs seem to bother me...
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
Pavel
Greenhorn

Post by Pavel »

Jorzi wrote:Long time no post.

Some small progress on the cyborg cannon.
Polycounts: 212 for torso, 180 for legs, 61 for cannon.
Cool!!!
Sorry for my bad English
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I like the clenched fist myself. As for the legs, there something to be said for not trying to emulate the current Ironman's svelte armor. :3
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

AWSOM-O
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Remodeled the legs for a more naturally polygonal feel.
Attachments
cyborg_2.jpg
ImageImage
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Jorzi wrote:Remodeled the legs for a more naturally polygonal feel.
+1.

I also prefer the knee articulation exposed, for some reason (maybe because covered it brings to mind the Medieval "Poleyn"). Also, seeing a clear cod piece in this snap, subtly reafirms there's a guy in there (albeit a paraplegic), fullfilling the definition of a Cyborg as a tech augmented human as opposed to an Android which is a robot with a human appearance. :3 Also reminds me of how they did the new SFX of what's left of the man inside the cyborg armor in the recent "Robocop" re-boot. Compelling visuals, they are. :hmm:

Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

I'm not too sure about the cyborg model. Overall, it is an okay design. But I doubt the soldiers would agree to have their right arm removed to fit into the cyborg armor. After all the game says cyborgs are a means to make infantry functional in the 21. century and that they are soldiers wearing power suits operated through a synaptic ink implant. This implies the suits can be donned and removed at will by otherwise normal humans. What I would like to see is the weapon mounted to a sort of hardpoint on the outside of the right forearm, instead of in place of the right arm.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari