Structure Improvement

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Structure Improvement

Post by Jorzi »

Can you still upload the stuff you've made so far (lowpoly models with baked maps) so we can get it into the game? It would be a shame to just let it pass into the forgotten...
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Colditz wrote:More dead than alive.
Colditz wrote:New graphic technologies are the only thing that would be a reason to start work again, anything else is senseless in my eyes. Besides the fact that I love Warzone 2100 since 1999, I would rather see more efforts for the techniques MaNGusT mentioned above than "new buildings", "new units" or other major changes which don't honor the original game.
The man said, the man made - is a good principle. :wink:

just joking. :P
coolydudey60
Rookie
Rookie

Post by coolydudey60 »

Guys this is f**king depressing. Someone turns up, remakes more than half the (common) models for base structures into highly-detailed (given our requirements) and awesome ones, and you make him give up by not offering any coding support. And now that he's barely willing to keep checking the forums, all that time, and all that potential for warzone, is gonna go to waste. Because one day he's gonna give up completely and those models will never be posted here. All he wants to see is some initiative from the devs. His point of view is: "I've spent hours making worthwile contributions to a game I love, that could help take it's graphics 7 years forward, and i get resignation and unwillingness to help from the devs. They had other stuff to work on, but after all this time, nobody turned to my case. So, i'm not going to be the idiot here, giving away my hard work to people that aren't even interested to support it properly. I'm gonna wait and see what they do, and if they can't help out, then nor can I."

And this is a rather prevalent, frequent pattern. Such a shame. If people can't deal with the issues at hand, they should either say so clearly, or make sure things start getting dealt with, either on their part, or with the help of others (new people). This is easier said than done,but otherwise, more people will continue to waste their time.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@coolydudey60: Unfortunately, the situation is not all that simple. We actually have a build now supporting tangent space normal maps, and object space is supported in trunk. The problem is, however, that the devs are very few, and can barely keep up with fixing game-breaking bugs and other obvious high-priority stuff. It's true that we were all underwhelmed by the relatively low interest people have expressed concerning graphical advancements, and colditz simply moved on to other projects which had more need for his expertise. I wouldn't, however, blame the developers for the slowness of development in this particular area. (Especially for a greenhorn with 6 posts that's quite a stupid thing to do).

It sometimes feels a bit unmotivating to work on stuff that is only partially supported, but this is a reality in most open source projects. We can only hope that, once we get full support for the new model format, colditz will regain interest and at least release all of his stuff for us to use.
Meanwhile, try out the art revolution mod. (yes, development pace is slow, and I currently have a deadline to meet at another project I'm working on, but it's not abandoned)
ImageImage
coolydudey60
Rookie
Rookie

Post by coolydudey60 »

I didn't blame the developers for the slowness of development (although they did "cause" it). What i said is that either the slowness of development should be made clear or it should be fixed. Btw, I am running the AR mod, good work so far!
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

What I am saying is: One does not "cause" slowness of development. If you are alone developing something, development is inevitably slow. The only people "causing" slowness are the people who complain about how depressing it is that no one is doing anything while simultaneously doing nothing to help it. (Well, ok, you are making some fairly nice maps and it's a good place to start, but trust me, coding c/c++ is actually a lot of work and requires commitment at a whole other level)

I have seen many people with far too short attention spans coming here, having great visions, wanting people to do stuff for them, trying to do something themselves, getting bored and leaving.

The developer team are essentially forum members who, for many years, keep working for free just because they love this game. Do you still think that the fact they are progressing slowly is "depressing"? I do not, because I know that they are not the people who just get bored and leave for no reason.
ImageImage
coolydudey60
Rookie
Rookie

Post by coolydudey60 »

I do code c++ actually and I know exactly what it's like, just not to a level that my time would be well spent coding for the game. The devs are to be admired for the work they do, but that doesn't detract from how depressing the situation can be sometimes. I did exaggerate and the post was a bit too caustic, but this situation was nonetheless very avoidable.
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

Jorzi wrote:I have seen many people with far too short attention spans coming here, having great visions, wanting people to do stuff for them, trying to do something themselves, getting bored and leaving.
Jorzi, it appears you just described me :O
Although I did some (rather bad) work I did have a legit reason to 'leave' though (yet I always visit the forum everyday, I just rarely post) with having all my end of school exams.

And concerning the dev's, I believe they're doing an awesome job considering how few of them there are, we'll see this in the game one day, I'm sure.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@swatspeedman: Yeah school has to be higher priority, this is just a game, after all. Don't take it personally though, you did more than most people, actually getting your stuff into the game and all.

@cooleydudey60: Fair enough.
ImageImage
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

Jorzi wrote:@swatspeedman: Yeah school has to be higher priority, this is just a game, after all. Don't take it personally though, you did more than most people, actually getting your stuff into the game and all.
That is true :lol2: but I dont like it :stressed:
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

Well, its has been some years. Did some other stuff over the years, mostly WWII weapons. At beginning of the year, I played the current stable release 3.3.0 for some hours and had a lot of fun with it. Remembers me of the old times.

Anyway, I searched my HDD for the old files I did back then. And there you go. May somebody put them to good use.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n76v1lisy9f3z ... 0.zip?dl=0

For the previews of the normal maps, I used Xoliul Shader 2, a realtime viewport shader from Laurens Corijn for 3ds Max 2009 / 2012. For the current 3ds Max 2020 there should be other ways to display realtime normal maps.
Attachments
VTOL Factory
VTOL Factory
Cyborg Factory
Cyborg Factory
Factory
Factory
Power Generator
Power Generator
Research Facility
Research Facility
Command Center
Command Center
ImageImage

Software: Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite 2011 / Adobe Photoshop CS2
aliswe
Trained
Trained

Post by aliswe »

That's very kind of you, Colditz. Thank you
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Glad to see you here again, Colditz. Аfter a lot of time we finally have support for tangent-space normal maps. :lecture: :lol2: Ya, a bit late, I know :D
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Downloaded the stuff, but it's all .max files, so I think it's best for me to let MaNGusT take care of it for the time being :)
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote: 03 May 2020, 16:12 Downloaded the stuff, but it's all .max files, so I think it's best for me to let MaNGusT take care of it for the time being :)
I think I can do something useful with it :wink: but I hope Colditz will finish his work ^^