Structure Improvement

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Structure Improvement

Post by MaNGusT »

Colditz wrote:What's about the progress of the implementation of normal mapping and smoothing groups, anyway?
It is frozen on the idea stage . :(
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

these buildings look great! cant help but think the borg factory hasn't changed all that much, looks good but they should get an update ^_^
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Unfortunately we cannot be sure about the normal map implementation, but with our hipoly=>lowpoly workflow, we can bake anything available into the texture. That way our models will be able to support everything that is implemented and still look good even with primitive shading.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

Its one of the most important ways to improve graphics of WZ2100. If I spend my time on recreating the assets for WZ2100, there should be some efforts to change the game code or file format to accept these assets. Otherwise it's demotivating.
ImageImage

Software: Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite 2011 / Adobe Photoshop CS2
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Colditz wrote:Its one of the most important ways to improve graphics of WZ2100. If I spend my time on recreating the assets for WZ2100, there should be some efforts to change the game code or file format to accept these assets. Otherwise it's demotivating.
I completely agree with you and I believe that when all models and textures will be completely redesigned devs will add the normal, specular textures support. They just don't have enough manpower but I still think that at least 1 of devs should work on improving the graphic engine! :)
Yes, it is good when an artist can test his works in game to be sure that it looks good in game too but we still don't have this possibility. :(
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

well, ... slightly inspired by old warzone 2100 artworks and heavy wip.
Attachments
vtolfact.jpg
ImageImage

Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

thats a spicy VTOL factory right there ^_^

doors don't fit it though :\
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

MaNGusT wrote:
Colditz wrote:Its one of the most important ways to improve graphics of WZ2100. If I spend my time on recreating the assets for WZ2100, there should be some efforts to change the game code or file format to accept these assets. Otherwise it's demotivating.
I completely agree with you and I believe that when all models and textures will be completely redesigned devs will add the normal, specular textures support. They just don't have enough manpower but I still think that at least 1 of devs should work on improving the graphic engine! :)
Yes, it is good when an artist can test his works in game to be sure that it looks good in game too but we still don't have this possibility. :(
Are you guys shooting for higher requirements than openGL 2.1 for those features?
Are we sure that 3.0 will use openGL 2.1, as is shown here http://developer.wz2100.net/milestone/3.0 ?
Would GLSL be OK to use to implement normal & specular mapping ? I don't see any guidelines about this at all, so people have no clue on what is going on. :(

From the svn logs, it looks like only Gerard and iNod are the graphics devs and they both haven't been around for a very long time, and no forums posts from either of them in ages.
From the past few months, only Per, Cybersphinx and Zarel have been doing some work, but nothing graphics related.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Normal and specular maps should work with opengl 2.0 or higher, I think.
In blender you can easily access them by turning on GLSL materials in the 3d view.
Same goes for texture masks.
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Colditz wrote:well, ... slightly inspired by old warzone 2100 artworks and heavy wip.
Doors should be merged, i think, to fit the units size or redesign them.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Yeah, the doors will propably be a bit problematic, or you'll have to make three separate models... Isn't that how they were done in the first place?
ImageImage
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Crymson wrote:Are we sure that 3.0 will use openGL 2.1, as is shown here http://developer.wz2100.net/milestone/3.0 ?
Would GLSL be OK to use to implement normal & specular mapping ? I don't see any guidelines about this at all, so people have no clue on what is going on. :(
Current trunk runs on OpenGL 1.5 systems, and can use shaders for the team masks, with a fallback for systems that don't have those. With that it runs on Mesa (the Linux open source 3D drivers), and I at least would appreciate if it stayed that way.

For any of the roadmap things, those are usually written months in advance. (And most milestones in tickets are set by the reporter...)
Colditz
Trained
Trained

Post by Colditz »

Jorzi wrote:Yeah, the doors will propably be a bit problematic, or you'll have to make three separate models... Isn't that how they were done in the first place?
True, the factory modules are three different separate models.I already got an idea for the doors.

They weren't finished on my picture, anyway.
ImageImage

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Crymson wrote:Are you guys shooting for higher requirements than openGL 2.1 for those features?
Are we sure that 3.0 will use openGL 2.1, as is shown here http://developer.wz2100.net/milestone/3.0 ?
As far as I know, 3.0 still has a minimum OpenGL requirement of 1.4 (thanks, i-NoD!) but uses some OpenGL 2.0 features when available. You'd have to ask i-NoD for details.
Crymson wrote:From the svn logs, it looks like only Gerard and iNod are the graphics devs and they both haven't been around for a very long time, and no forums posts from either of them in ages.
From the past few months, only Per, Cybersphinx and Zarel have been doing some work, but nothing graphics related.
cybersphinx knows some graphics stuff, and I think Per might as well. You'd have to ask them, though.

We are indeed planning on adding support for normal mapping in the future. Some of our other developers come and go, and even if none of our core developers implement it, someone new might come along...
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Also, I know that I-NoD had started to test a specular mapping feature. :-)