Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Post by Jorzi »

Cool :)
This pretty much perfectly represents the combination of hi-tech engineering and military ruggedness that I think we should aim for.
I can see some resemblances to your concept sketch, but obviously you've evolved your ideas since then.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote:I can see some resemblances to your concept sketch, but obviously you've evolved your ideas since then.
Yeah, this sketch was as start point. :)
I'm not sure about adding the camo colors and stuff into the body. For stuff I don't have much tuxture's workspace, so it'll be not that detailed as other parts.
The camo mask looks good but is it really needed for droids?! Also, as we don't use "colored stripes" for teamcoloring but mark almost all parts of a tank, camo colors looks strange with i.e. blue TC.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Are we talking about bodies like viper, cobra, python or did you mean the front part of the truck?
Anyway I agree that the "colored camo" is a bit absurd but I did it mostly because the look is fairly close to that of the original models. However, I've been thinking about Vexed's idea that the teamcolors are only a computer-generated designation overlay and I've tried to experiment a bit with the fragment shader to make a look that reflects this. No screenshots yet.
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote:Are we talking about bodies like viper, cobra, python or did you mean the front part of the truck?
I mean the part that holds consctruction material and I don't have enough texture's workspace to detial this material, but I could add some "noisy" rubbish.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Ah, ok.

Anyway, I just made an experimental shader where the teamcolor is a "computerized" overlay
Attachments
wz2100-20141213_215031-Sk-Rush.jpg
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

hmm. interesting idea, looks good. Don't you think that with big army it'll look too messy? Units are too small and players should be able to easily see from what parts a tank consists of. I think we need the in-game switcher to switch between few types of teamcoloring. So each player could choose what he likes most.
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

I'd rather see the structures have camo patterns instead of stripes, to be honest.
Xfire-->chris37killer
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Alpha93 wrote:I'd rather see the structures have camo patterns instead of stripes, to be honest.
When I said colored stripes, I meant teamcolors used in other rts games like starcraft 2 etc., so most parts of a model have its unique texture and only small 'stripes' are colored by tc.
Jorzi's stripes are another view on this stuff.
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

MaNGusT wrote:-snip-
You mean something along this line?
Xfire-->chris37killer
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Alpha93 wrote:
MaNGusT wrote:-snip-
You mean something along this line?
Yep :)
ironsolder
Greenhorn

Post by ironsolder »

MaNGusT wrote:
Alpha93 wrote:I'd rather see the structures have camo patterns instead of stripes, to be honest.
When I said colored stripes, I meant teamcolors used in other rts games like starcraft 2 etc.,f.
may be you can do it by using :
pie type : 10200
make the part you want be colored : gray
and make " tcmask " texture

look at WZGM texpages
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@ironsolder: yes, that's how we do our teamcolors. As a matter of fact, we know the PIE3 specification quite well and are even communicating with the devs to write it according to our needs.

Anyway, the screen space stripe pattern was a bit straining on the eye when moving around so I guess it remains a test.
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

ironsolder wrote: may be you can do it by using :
pie type : 10200 make the part you want be colored : gray and make " tcmask " texture. look at WZGM texpages
Captain Obvious? O_o
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Edited texture, horns are brighter now(think need some more adjustment), some of details are recolored
level of specular texture is 50%
level of specular texture is 50%
Tried camo layer, for me it looks too messy at in-game zoom because overall level of small details is high. Also it doesn't work well with mirrored or scaled uvws :(
level of specular texture is 100%
level of specular texture is 100%
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Cool stuff :) Profile looks suitably badass.

As for the camo looking noisy, I usually use a two-shades pattern with larger spots to avoid that.
Do you have any special plans for the windshield? I know "blue for glass" looks fake, but I guess we don't have that many other options. Some subtle gradients help a bit.
I've been thinking that we could probably try to use some static angular map for a mirror-like reflection (without reflecting any actual ingame objects), which could help the situation a bit (something like this)
ImageImage