Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: models by MaNGusT

Post by Zarel »

Sorry, I didn't mean "useless" as in "doesn't serve any practical function to the propulsion", but rather "no one's going to see it unless they look really closely, so they're not worth the strain on the renderer they cause".
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

i like the buggies... will use them with my scavenger mod when you'll publish them... Image
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I really think that the propulsion systems have to show some interaction with the "engine drum" (the cylindrical part separing the rear part from the cockpit of the model). Such "engine connection" slots (as seen in the videos of the game) should be made visible in all of the models, because the modular system would then be more intuitively correct. I mean, there's the engine block, with some connectors. How does the propulsion connect to this engine block and how the mechanisms would transfer the rotation of the eninge to the correct direction? Of course, no one needs blueprints of the engine mechanisms, but a technical, logic design is needed if we aim for really good models. ;)

If you see the textures of the actual wheels, ingame, you'll see that there's some kind of relief that wasn't put into geometry, which matches the position of the engine block. :ninja:

I say that because I feel the need to make every model with logical explanations to its features, even if that means remaking the models and end with something completely different from what we've got in mind in the past. Happened with my attempt to make new models for the structures, and it was good, actually the last models were much, much better than the first ones. :D

I don't feel like making and posting models to say what I'm thinking would be nice, actually the name of the topic is "models by MaNGusT" so one wouldn't expect models by Olrox here :P
However, if you don't mind, I could do that easily, for the sake of your full knowledge over my ideas. :rolleyes:
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

MaNGusT wrote:Warzone has a propulsion models for each body's class, if you don't know that. For a Middle bodies model has 3 wheels, etc. Just launch the game and you'll see.
i know, and you are showing your propulsion for the small-body-class. so what would your propulsion model look like for the bigger class. how will you realize them?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Thyranim wrote: i know, and you are showing your propulsion for the small-body-class. so what would your propulsion model look like for the bigger class. how will you realize them?
I'll make it like on the original texture - 2 big and 1 small wheels for a middle bodies. 3 big wheels for a heavy bodies.
i-NoD wrote:i like the buggies... will use them with my scavenger mod when you'll publish them...
It's not a buggy.
Zarel wrote:Um, the wheels themselves are far too detailed. They should be decagonal prisms, at most. Octagonal prisms would work! And the bar attached to the backs of the wheels are pretty useless; get rid of them.
Wheels are 10-sided! I can make 8-sided to reduce triangles a little.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

MaNGusT wrote:Wheels are 10-sided! I can make 8-sided to reduce triangles a little.
I know, but they're not prisms. They're rounded. Which increases the polycount by a lot, unnecessarily.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Real life military buggies come in many forms including the one below which is a multi-weap turreted (how these turrets are actually designed these days not like the ones from 70 years ago), well armored but highly maneuverable across a wide variety of landscapes, "Swamp Buggy" and part of the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team deployed in Mosul, Iraq in 2006. (Photo by Tech. Sgt. John M. Foster)

I post this particular RL Military Buggy instead of a host of other RL Military photos also deemed "buggies" that bare a much more striking resemblance to your model to illustrate the point that there is no one monolithic "military buggy" design. But of course you are the artist and can call your model whatever you want no matter what the resemblance to RL vehicles being dubbed otherwise.

Now lets see how this tracks to the apparent pattern established to this point. Should be revealing. :ninja:

MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Zarel wrote:I know, but they're not prisms. They're rounded. Which increases the polycount by a lot, unnecessarily.
Explain what do you understand in view of on under a prism? I've removed the "smooth groups" from model for the fair preview. The left one is the current 10-sided model and right one is the 8-sided model.
Front.
wheels10or8_1.jpg
Back
wheels10or8.jpg
whippersnapper wrote:Real life military buggies come in many forms including the one below which is a multi-weap turreted (how these turrets are actually designed these days not like the ones from 70 years ago), well armored but highly maneuverable across a wide variety of landscapes, "Swamp Buggy" and part of the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team deployed in Mosul, Iraq in 2006. (Photo by Tech. Sgt. John M. Foster)I post this particular RL Military Buggy instead of a host of other RL Military photos also deemed "buggies" that bare a much more striking resemblance to your model to illustrate the point that there is no one monolithic "military buggy" design. But of course you are the artist and can call your model whatever you want no matter what the resemblance to RL vehicles being dubbed otherwise. Now lets see how this tracks to the apparent pattern established to this point. Should be revealing.
I mean - it's not a buggy, it's the viper body+wheels propulsion only.
Olrox wrote:However, if you don't mind, I could do that easily, for the sake of your full knowledge over my ideas.
why do i must to mind? O_O

Also I need the trunk build with I-Nod patch - "TCMask" to make a texture for propulsion with teamcolors. Can someone compile it for me? then I can test my works.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

MaNGusT wrote: why do i must to mind? O_O
Dunno, some people feel like their art threads are being "invaded" with other people's art xD

I'll post some layout propositions today, 17:30 GMT.

cya :ninja:
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

MaNGusT wrote: I mean - it's not a buggy, it's the viper body+wheels propulsion only.
I understand that, trust me.

The Scav buggy as it currently exists is of a piece and not designable; however like versatile Legos, practical art forms can be used in more than one way for a variety of different assemblages, especially conceivable or imaginable in a stage without textures. Architecture is more obviously like that than fresco, for example.

What you are presenting as a model conceived as comprised of 2 separate geometry parts to fit the current unit design scheme can still be fused into one geometry as Scav units are. Piece of cake that as texturing accounts for the most arduous work in this process and the part hardly ever brought to term just because of that.

Anyway, it's that fundamental a proposition, which you need not have had in mind or intended for it to still be conceivable, discussable and a tangible possibility to others. That's all, really. This just being the nature of artistic cross-pollination since time immemorial.

Probably several disparities are entering into play here, including language. So we'll let it go at that.

Regards, whip :ninja:
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

MaNGusT wrote:I'll make it like on the original texture - 2 big and 1 small wheels for a middle bodies. 3 big wheels for a heavy bodies.
that's what i tried to ask for :D
curious to see the finished models :D
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

viper in game+simple texture.
wz2100_shot_003.jpg
viper+tex.jpg
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

MaNGusT wrote:viper in game+simple texture.
Lovin' it! Huzzah for random maze gen! (I'm assuming that's what you used)
Maybe you could add a grey border to the blue part, IMO it stops a bit abruptly.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

Outstanding.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Ok, sorry for not posting my wheels (& viper) before, I was at a friend's home, we played MGS4, got a game clear with 15 hours of gameplay, it was the first time I've played any metal gear xD

anyway, I've made a version of the viper as I saw fit, barely based on MaNGusT's version which was nicely done.

My wheels are FR, not 4WD, based on a regular agricultural tractor but in a smaller scale. The most essential features are the gear boxes between the two wheels of each side. It is intended to provide steering capability to the front wheels and, with the aid of proper transmission mechanisms, rotate the rear wheels, which are the only ones with traction.
That's because the current model's wheels are designed with a small front wheel and bigger rear wheels, which is a strong evidence that it is FR and not 4WD. :rolleyes:

Putting it simple, there's a mechanism that takes the rotation from the central engine (big cylinder on the body) to the rear wheels, and allow the front wheels to tilt, allowing steering.

Also, please don't be too fussy about the overall geometry, I made it quickly to show my idea. :P

Regards, Olrox.
Attachments
Viper wheels by Olrox.
Viper wheels by Olrox.