Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Lord High Unggoy
Greenhorn

Re: Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Post by Lord High Unggoy »

MaNGusT wrote: 26 May 2020, 08:15 No one knows what the author of steam version changed in his build of wz. :wink:
So, who actually updates the build? Are they still active? My biggest fear when it comes to trying to be active in this community and on the forums, is that most of it is dead. Most of the stuff in the announcements section of the main page is multiple years old.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

If you were referring to the Steam build, it's not associated with any of the developers, the Warzone 2100 Project, or wz2100.net, so you're not likely to find those answers here, I'm afraid.

In regards to your other questions:
- A lot of activity (especially development activity) now takes place on GitHub: https://github.com/Warzone2100
- There's also a very active Discord server: https://discordapp.com/invite/ZvRVQ8g
- There's a lot of work behind the scenes on revamping website stuff, which will hopefully be visible soon.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

warehouse. wip :-)
Untitled.png
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

Interesting roof shape.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Slye_Fox wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 11:38Interesting roof shape.
Yeah, trying to improvise when can't google pics for reference. Also, original model hides some interesting details visible only at right view angle, I talk about boxes of ventilation system.

UPD: I'm always open to new ideas. That's why I post work-in-progress first.
Last edited by MaNGusT on 23 Jun 2020, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

another model of warehouse. wip
Untitled.png
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

How should we handle this stuff in armod? make different textures for each terrain tileset or make universal texture and later (probably) add shaders that will add extra effects like snow, sand, wet materials?
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (209.34 KiB) Viewed 462388 times
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

My wild guess, adding shaders is more modern way, but will increase system requirements. Can't some shaders be baked to texture when there is no need for that?
Should be most useful for effects, that add static dependency on map.
As for dynamic (weather effects), I could compare this way with mip-mapping, when same texture is multiplied for different condition. Just other than LOD.
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

nick87720z wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 20:43 Can't some shaders be baked to texture when there is no need for that?
that's why I'm asking. Adding 2 more sets of textures will raise just requirements of hdd space... but who cares about this in 2020? On the other hand, it's not a progressive way to develop games.

All dynamic effects have to be controlled via additional shaders. While it's very simple to make wet materials and does not raise video card requirement. I mean, for this we just need to change 2 values in current shaders. But for sand and snow we will need to overlay noise textures or even generate such noise in special places of models via shaders.
BTW, We could use the same method that we use for TC mask to blend sand and snow, this way it will require just 2 more universal textures for sand and snow, and special mask texture for each model. :)
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

that's why I'm asking. Adding 2 more sets of textures will raise just requirements of hdd space... but who cares about this in 2020? On the other hand, it's not a progressive way to develop games.
I mean runtime generation, as some compromise for systems with relatively slow graphics. So, it would only need more ram, but not disk space. Some shaders requiring animation could be rendered into animated loop textures, such as droplets/water flow on objects. Though not sure about snow - how will it look if made just white spots (for best look it would need geometry shader). Or could it be even like color change for any more or less horizontal surfaces.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

nick87720z wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 14:14 Though not sure about snow - how will it look if made just white spots
It will look reasonably good at regular zoom, especially if we will blend also a normal map. Tangent-space normal maps can be blended via overlay formula. I use this trick to add fine details without changes in basic high poly model.
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

Something some games do is use a single texture & mask.
Have a texture and use a mask(basically a alpha mask) to set which parts can be recoloured.
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

Tried release 3.4.0. Artrev is synced to last, but when start - there are still errors:
On game start:

Code: Select all

fatal   |14:07:48: [pal_Init:43] palette.txt is missing required value(s); (missing lines 97 - 97)
And in alpha campaign, when trying to escape cave with LZ (could be earlier, not sure when exactly):

Code: Select all

info    |13:45:12: [_imd_load_level:661] Expecting 'POLYGONS' directive, got: NORMALS
info    |13:45:12: [_imd_load_level:661] Assert in Warzone: /home/nick87720z/dist/games/warzone2100/warzone2100/lib/ivis_opengl/imdload.cpp:661 (strcmp(buffer, "POLYGONS") == 0), last script event: ''
error   |13:45:12: [iV_ProcessIMD:1003] blwallc1.pie: Unsuccessful
Many times, totally for: blwallc*, blguard*, micabin*, miruin*, blbrhut1.pie
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Some new models from svn only work in vulkan pr (future 3.5.0 release), so for 3.4.0 you should use old armod_3.3.0.wz
as for palette, just delete it from the mod.

We're currently in process of moving from object-space normal maps to tangent-space.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Did a quick test of how much tris it will require to make everything from geometry. wip
Untitled.png