Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Post by Jorzi »

OK, I found the reason why the reflection wasn't moving, wmit.vert row 64:

Code: Select all

halfVec = normalize(lightDir) + normalize(-eyeVec);
I had to normalize lightDir and eyeVec, since they are not unit vectors. It seems to me that eyeVec was very small compared to lightDir and thus the half vector was shifted almost entirely towards lightDir. Not sure why I had to invert eyeVec though... oh well, such is life with wz's coordinate system.

Also one thing that I mentioned some time in the distant past, is the way lightDir is calculated. All of warzone's shaders calculate it as

lightDir = lightPosition.xyz - vVertex;
This is the calculation for a point light. Then the position of the light is moved far, far away to simulate the sun, whose light rays are (for our purposes) perfectly parallel. This reduces the contribution of vVertex to the point where the result is identical with

lightDir = lightPosition.xyz;
which is the code for a directional light, i.e. what we all wanted in the first place, except with this code you don't need to give it a huge magnitude.

Edit:
It seems like I have too many versions of the shaders and these issues have already been addressed in other shaders I have which I think are from you XD
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 12:30It seems like I have too many versions of the shaders and these issues have already been addressed in other shaders I have which I think are from you XD
Yep, I've fixed this already. Just checkout the latest version in AR svn(they work right only in WMIT). :P
I thought that you received auto-mails when I commited changes. :o

Is this because you want them to be unshaded, since the lighting is built into the texture?
exactly. also they are too low poly to have good pixel lighting. Ofc, we could move all the possible light calculations to fragment shader to get the best result in cost of performance, but.. the visual difference is so trivial that I'm even lazy to compare its impact to performance.

Also one thing that I mentioned some time in the distant past, is the way lightDir is calculated. All of warzone's shaders calculate it as

lightDir = lightPosition.xyz - vVertex;
This is the calculation for a point light. Then the position of the light is moved far, far away to simulate the sun, whose light rays are (for our purposes) perfectly parallel. This reduces the contribution of vVertex to the point where the result is identical with

lightDir = lightPosition.xyz;
which is the code for a directional light, i.e. what we all wanted in the first place, except with this code you don't need to give it a huge magnitude.
You're right. I need to check the difference but as far as I remember vVertex = 0 and wz uses directional light in code for lightPosition.
I also remember that I-Nod said that code for wz's sun is very strange and have a lot of multiplies which he didn't understand at first look.
Last edited by MaNGusT on 02 Mar 2020, 02:52, edited 2 times in total.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

MaNGusT wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 02:21
Jorzi wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 12:30It seems like I have too many versions of the shaders and these issues have already been addressed in other shaders I have which I think are from you XD
Yep, I've fixed this already. Just checkout the latest version in AR svn(they work right only in WMIT). :P
I thought that you received auto-mails when I commited changes. :o
If changes are needed to the shaders built-in to WZ, please post them in the gfx_api PR: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/pull/489

I'll make sure to get them included (and ported to Vulkan!)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

pastdue wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 02:24If changes are needed to the shaders built-in to WZ, please post them in the gfx_api PR: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/pull/489
Don't worry, Jorzi is just checking shaders that we did with I-Nod. If we will find something new to adjust, we will post it to vulkan PR :-)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Latest updates :)
Untitled.png
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

I'm really liking this new stuff. They look graphically better than vanilla stuff, yet they don't deviate much from the original material.

Just a question: will all these models be included in a future release of the game?
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

My hope would be that we can eventually integrate a "Classic vs Remastered" graphics option into WZ, so folks can easily choose between "classic" graphics and these fantastic ARmod graphics.
Lord High Unggoy
Greenhorn

Post by Lord High Unggoy »

I downloaded the Art Revolution Mod again for the new model updates, but nothing seems to have changed?

I'm just waiting for the Scavenger Factory to be redone, along with their walls, towers and infantry. I will be a very happy person when that becomes a reality.
Last edited by Lord High Unggoy on 25 May 2020, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Lord High Unggoy wrote: 25 May 2020, 04:08I downloaded the Art Revolution Mod again for the new model updates, but nothing seems to have changed?
All new models will work only in a future build of wz(3.4.0 ?). So, to try 'em out, you need to download latest build of vulkan PR and also download latest SVN snapshot of ARmod, then rename it to *.wz :-)
speedsterharry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by speedsterharry »

Superb work ! Eager to see those graphics included in the main game, possibly with an option to drop back to low-res like pastdue suggests
Lord High Unggoy
Greenhorn

MaNGusT wrote: 25 May 2020, 08:13All new models will work only in a future build of wz(3.4.0 ?). So, to try 'em out, you need to download latest build of vulkan PR and also download latest SVN snapshot of ARmod, then rename it to *.wz :-)
Any idea when this future build will be available? I've been using the Stream version, which I assume is the newest build.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Any idea when this future build will be available?
Have no idea. I know that it's just "planned".
I've been using the Stream version, which I assume is the newest build.
no. the newest and only true version can be downloaded only from wz2100.net
Lord High Unggoy
Greenhorn

MaNGusT wrote: 25 May 2020, 16:45 no. the newest and only true version can be downloaded only from wz2100.net
Oh, so you guys didn't put that on Steam? Gotcha. Is there a thread with all the changes of the current build compared to the one on Steam? I am downloading the wz2100.net version when I get home, but I was hoping I could see how different it'll be compare to what I have been playing.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Is there a thread with all the changes of the current build compared to the one on Steam?
No one knows what the author of steam version changed in his build of wz. :wink:
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

If you'd like to see a list of the many, many improvements since 3.3.0, they are available in two forms:

A changelog file (which is manually written, and isn't fully up-to-date):
https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... /ChangeLog

The commit log on GitHub:
https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... 0...master