Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Blakeanator
Rookie
Rookie

Re: models by MaNGusT

Post by Blakeanator »

ninjatoast wrote:
Blakeanator wrote:Thanks!
(Although the FAQ is confusing me because there is no .../mods/global/)
You're looking in 'documents', You're meant to be looking in program files.

I'm in application support (which I thought was equivalent to program files since I'm on a mac)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

No, you're in the right place. But reread the FAQ. ;)
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Warzone 2100 2.2/mods/global/

-> (Create the directory if it does not exist.) <-
Blakeanator
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blakeanator »

THANKS!
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Now go find that stderr of yours, but don't post it here - go to the topic you've created. ;)
Arcalane
Trained
Trained

Post by Arcalane »

MaNGusT wrote:*bunkers, leopard*
Bunkers:
I think the right one looks better - the left one's openings are way too large for a bunker, although this may be an issue with the model more than the texture. Look at the openings on an actual pillbox and you'll see what I mean. The left one's look like honkin' great windows rather than a narrow firing slit. The right, on the other hand, looks more solidly built, although it needs some tweaks to the columns first. Maybe make them reinforced with metal?

Leopard:
Lookin' good! ;)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Arcalane wrote:
MaNGusT wrote:*bunkers, leopard*
Bunkers:
I think the right one looks better - the left one's openings are way too large for a bunker, although this may be an issue with the model more than the texture.
The problem is - it is the same model. xD
Also, I've modified the texture a bit after testing it ingame myself, perhaps mangust could post a new screenshot, with the latest texture and same view angle?
Modifying the windows would be as simple as pushing some vertexes further up.
SCAVANGER
Trained
Trained

Post by SCAVANGER »

the models i see are so great keep on it!!!! :D
lo siento yo no hablo ingles disculpen mis errores

wz2100 lo juego desde que tengo 9 años XD (en la playstation 1)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Man, I haven't been paying enough attention to this thread. I agree with the others who say that there's a bit too much saturation (and maybe also contrast) on these textures, when you look at them within Warzone. Especially the New Paradigm ones. Can you make the color scheme closer to what the old bodies were like?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Yes of course we can but I think that the new textures are looked so saturated because the all other old textures are looked bad, less detailed and have less bit per pixel. :-S
We should try to adjust a saturate's and contrast's parameters, may be we will get a better result. :)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

MaNGusT wrote:Yes of course we can but I think that the new textures are looked so saturated because the all other old textures are looked bad, less detailed and have less bit per pixel. :-S
We should try to adjust a saturate's and contrast's parameters, may be we will get a better result. :)
The old textures may be lower resolution, but that's practically the only thing wrong with them ("look bad", "less detailed", "less bit per pixel" all descend from lower resolution). They're fairly good in terms of color balance (as well as detail per pixel). I'd recommend not deviating too far from them. Remember, body color isn't nearly as important as teamcolor, and whatever color individual weapons use for identification.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Zarel wrote:The old textures may be lower resolution, but that's practically the only thing wrong with them ("look bad", "less detailed", "less bit per pixel" all descend from lower resolution). They're fairly good in terms of color balance (as well as detail per pixel). I'd recommend not deviating too far from them. Remember, body color isn't nearly as important as teamcolor, and whatever color individual weapons use for identification.
I personally think that the bodies should have the less saturated tones of the vehicles, due to the reason mentioned by Zarel: they aren't teamcolored, their color doesn't represent anything other than balance type (campaign factions). Making them less saturated wouldn't hurt the cause of making them more detailed - We actually don't need to notice the details from the farthest zooms. Those details are for those who are appreciating the game with a closer attention, and color balance counts as an important artistic quality. As we are aiming for more realistic looks, too strong colors aren't interesting, and too much contrast is an unlikely property of harmonious compositions (which represent most of the realistic artistic representations).

I'd rather keep the contrast as in my original textures, and would even make the colors less strong - I think it's worth trying, to see what it looks like ingame.
Can we try that, Mangust?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Olrox wrote:Can we try that, Mangust?
=>
MaNGusT wrote:Yes of course we can...
We should try that, may be we will get a better result. :)
P.S. I saved the all your original textures that you send to me. :-) Sometimes they are looked too bright sometimes too dark.(in-game).
P.S.2 I'm still waiting the 2 new textures... :rolleyes:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I'll continue working with them after my classes and exams and researches are over - probably only after day 14 or 15. Until then, I have an average of 2 exams/day with some scattered research development & presentations, so it's really complicated to find free time (since I also got to work by the morning) :(
But I'll finish 'em just as things cool down ;)
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

The models look great! Keep up the quality work!
Best Regards,
Astorian
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Thanks! One more week and we'll resume production, faster than ever! Be prepared! ;)