Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: models by MaNGusT

Post by Olrox »

-Kosh- wrote:The mods should make official threads for each body type so when people are done they can upload them to one thread instead of having them spread all around the forums.

Then other people can know what is done and what is not done. Image
But the Developers didn't ask anyone to remake bodies. This thread here is an initiative from MaNGusT to make new body models, and we are going to do them wether the developer team use it or not: It will be, either a replacement or a mod for the original graphics. The decision upon that was not yet called for, there is no real motive to think about that right now. I mean, MaNGusT is making models, I'm making the textures for his models, the Devs are watching and willing to help to test, and try to make those models work with the game's engine, because it's good stuff. The production is by MaNGusT (mostly, as he makes the models, convert them, and get them into the game) and me (who make sporadic little adjustments, map the models and make the textures), but we're not "WZ Artist"s, we're only dreamers of a better-looking Warzone.

That's all: We want to do it, we are doing it, and there's much praise and support, so I think we'll go through a heck of a lot of art here.

It's the (not yet "so-called") Art Revolution! Muahahahahahaha :twisted:
xD
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Olrox wrote:
But the Developers didn't ask anyone to remake bodies. This thread here is an initiative from MaNGusT to make new body models, and we are going to do them wether the developer team use it or not: It will be, either a replacement or a mod for the original graphics. The decision upon that was not yet called for, there is no real motive to think about that right now. I mean, MaNGusT is making models, I'm making the textures for his models, the Devs are watching and willing to help to test, and try to make those models work with the game's engine, because it's good stuff. The production is by MaNGusT (mostly, as he makes the models, convert them, and get them into the game) and me (who make sporadic little adjustments, map the models and make the textures), but we're not "WZ Artist"s, we're only dreamers of a better-looking Warzone.

That's all: We want to do it, we are doing it, and there's much praise and support, so I think we'll go through a heck of a lot of art here.

xD

Right on ! Love it. :)

Your guys work is top drawer AND so is you collaborative relationship. Exemplary and inspiring, all the way around.

"Art revolution" indeed.... I haven't seen so much active, quality, talent since before source liberation over 4 years ago. Truly a very special time for the game and the community. The excellencies are palpable. :D

Regards, whip :cool:
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Olrox wrote: But the Developers didn't ask anyone to remake bodies. This thread here is an initiative from MaNGusT to make new body models, and we are going to do them wether the developer team use it or not: It will be, either a replacement or a mod for the original graphics. The decision upon that was not yet called for, there is no real motive to think about that right now. I mean, MaNGusT is making models, I'm making the textures for his models, the Devs are watching and willing to help to test, and try to make those models work with the game's engine, because it's good stuff. The production is by MaNGusT (mostly, as he makes the models, convert them, and get them into the game) and me (who make sporadic little adjustments, map the models and make the textures), but we're not "WZ Artist"s, we're only dreamers of a better-looking Warzone.

xD
O_o We have been asking many, many times. At least, I know I have asked before.
There are scattered posts all around with evidence of this. We just need to make it easier for people to find things.

I am asking for a new forum section, we can stick all this stuff in.
and it ends here.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Buginator wrote: O_o We have been asking many, many times. At least, I know I have asked before.
There are scattered posts all around with evidence of this. We just need to make it easier for people to find things.

I am asking for a new forum section, we can stick all this stuff in.
Oh, I meant asking specifically for me and MaNGusT, like "Hey Olrox, hey MaNGusT, could you make a mod improving most of the game's models?" :D
MaNGusT probably didn't start due to the essential need of remaking the game core's every body model, he made viper and cobra models, and people liked his models. He was unsuccesful to create textures good enough for the high quality of his bodies, then I've decided to try and help. We were, very fortunately, successful, and formed a good team, so we agreed to make some great things for the game xD

However, even though the initial objective wasn't to make things for the core, this idea seems a little bit more plausible now, with the growing interest of the dev team in our work. Per already offered himself to help us with testing and fixing, and that's much appreciated!
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Ladies (if any) and Gentlemen!
Seems like the release of the first version of Art Revolution is going to be in the next hours, so brace yourselves!
It's a pleasure to work with MaNGusT, it was about the opportunity I've been waiting for since I've started participating on the forums 2 years ago. I think that we'll make some really great things together, and we could not be more satisfied with the appreciation all of you have shown since we've started this!

I'll just leave this .gif here, but I think MaNGusT's attachment will be the one you are really looking for :ninja:
Attachments
Arrr!
Arrr!
AR.gif (751.84 KiB) Viewed 18288 times
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

waiting waiting... !!!! :cool:
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Art Revolution Mod v0.1
AR.wz
(832.45 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Released in GPL v2 License.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

wow they look way too cool...

put it right next to my no, limits mod, in order to get to the boddies fast and they look awesome.

The only bad thing about this mod, is that wheels & weapons still look like crap... xD, but I'm looking forward for the coming changes from you guys... this should go right into source, its a nice leap forward. No more crappy bodies... hurray!!
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

The textures too too saturate on my pc, I think. I'm seeing if we can fix that, anyone else got the same feeling?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Olrox wrote:The textures too too saturate on my pc, I think. I'm seeing if we can fix that, anyone else got the same feeling?
This is how they look on my lap top....
Attachments
AR Mod008.jpg
Last edited by whippersnapper on 11 Oct 2009, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

?
mechs?
there are none of our modifyied bodies of textures there O_o
You sure you posted the right things on the right place, whip? xD
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Olrox wrote:?
mechs?
there are none of our modifyied bodies of textures there O_o
You sure you posted the right things on the right place, whip? xD
Oops... sorry.... when I created the target to your guys mod I forgot to "apply" so part of your guys mod was merged with core base.wz along with my modified mp.wz... very weird ! Anyway, my apologies. I replaced with pure mp.wz & pure core base.wz and made a new screen - I think I'm seeing what you're referring to about the saturation though it doesn't seem too extreme to my eye. My thinking is that a degree of saturation is needed to make the details of the model's geometry and textures appreciable at the normal strategic camera viewing distance - but maybe that's just nothing more than my own subjective PoV.

I'll also have to look more closely at your guys mod's files because it's incompatible with my modified mp.wz and it really shouldn't be (for reasons I won't get into) so I have to figure out why that is. Not that this incompatibility should make any difference to your mod but theoretically your mod should run perfectly with XANAX's Mechs just as readily as they do with the stock bodies... they shouldn't conflict.... interesting technical anomaly.

In any case ...... Good work guys ! :D

Regards, whip :ninja:

EDIT: I looked more closely at your guys files. What you did was different than what I incorrectly assumed without looking - basically you added brand new texture pages with new numbers. So I know exactly what to do to make it compatible with WS's modified mp.wz - a real simple procedure so that I can include AR.wz in WS along with the 12 or so other folks distinct mods it assimilates - not including all of my own mods on top of that. :D

ASIDE: Not keeping a public record of ALL page numbers being used by the dev team and modders is gonna make for some future unnecessary snafus, incompatibilities and additional work.. oh, well, I know how to deal with it, others will have to learn if they wanna make multi-dimensional, complex mods.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

This is how they look on my PC.
wz2100_shot_008.jpg
wz2100_shot_013.jpg
wz2100_shot_019.jpg
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

It works for me. (Note that it will not work on trunk snapshots due to differences in the wrf files.)

I noticed that Scorpion and Viper bodies do not meet up with the wheel, track and half-track propulsion models. A large gap between the two is visible, especially in the design screen.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Here's a series of close-up snaps in which the details of geometry and texture are more apparent than the usual strategic camera distance PoV.

This viewpoint also gives some idea of how these would look in "DRIVE Mode".

Once you set in-motion a strategic maneuver jumping into and out of this mode adds to the immersion especially with details of these new models.... perhaps an additional impetus to this mode's development as the old models in this mode were not at all suitable to that encompassing experience because they looked so bad which is apparent here, as winsrp pointed out when you contrast these new bodies with the old propulsion and weapon turret GFX.

Attachments
AR Mod010.jpg
AR Mod009.jpg
AR Mod011.jpg