Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: models by MaNGusT

Post by Olrox »

I've tested it personally, it is working ok.
Additionally, I've also tried to reduce my textures to half the size, and it's very difficult to tell wether the textures are 512X512 or 256x256 from the usual zoom distance. I mean, if the engine won't handle them 512x512, we cut them
to 1/4 of their size and it'll still look pretty, even though I'm using about only half of a page for each model (planning to make 2 models/page in the final releases*) :D
And the geometry is being kept at a reasonable level of detail, also.

About the weapons, it is currently not our priority, I've mentioned it because I've spoken to MaNGusT and we've agreed to do some big things if we manage to continue our work. I mean, from what I've read here and from what I'm thinking, our work is being appreciated by the community, and making cool things is very pleasing. Revitalizing warzone while mantaining the fundamental characteristics of the original version: that's what we're aiming for! And that's not restricted to bodies, you see :twisted:

How do we call that? Traditional revolution? :)
"Art Revolution", sounds better :cool:

*Does that have any significant impact on the engine processment speed? :-S
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Olrox wrote:I've tested it personally, it is working ok.
Additionally, I've also tried to reduce my textures to half the size, and it's very difficult to tell wether the textures are 512X512 or 256x256 from the usual zoom distance. I mean, if the engine won't handle them 512x512, we cut them
to 1/4 of their size and it'll still look pretty, even though I'm using about only half of a page for each model (planning to make 2 models/page in the final releases*) :D
And the geometry is being kept at a reasonable level of detail, also.
Well, the texture page size isn't a problem for the renderer. The issue is that having too many polygons on-screen could be an issue. Have you tried leading an army of 200 vipers and seeing if you experience significant lag?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Zarel wrote:I just hope the rendering engine can handle it...
Can you(or other developers) implement the new graphic option -"refresh rate" because the all graphic adapters work much faster with a 75 Hertz (for example) rather than with a 60 Hertz (the default screen refresh rate in the all games)?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Zarel wrote:Have you tried leading an army of 200 vipers and seeing if you experience significant lag?
Well, in my increbible computer, I can play 2-3 rounds of solitaire while I wait 3dsmax or photoshop to open, and if I drag any window while listening some music on KMPlayer and got 3dsmax opened, the music stops for about 3 seconds. So, even if I put 40 of the regular vipers, my computer will barely achieve 10 fps (being very optimistical) O_o
Seriously, my computer is a complete crap (at least I've managed to buy a 19' widescreen monitor, but I can't achieve more than 25 fps in any game other than monkey island, in 1440x900 resolution). I can not say if the game runs 100% because it never runned 100%. Like I said, I couldn't notice any significant difference.
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

Zarel wrote:Well, the texture page size isn't a problem for the renderer. The issue is that having too many polygons on-screen could be an issue. Have you tried leading an army of 200 vipers and seeing if you experience significant lag?
Of course it will slow down with 200 units.
I do not think this is a valid test. The game is fill rate limited correct?
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

MaNGusT wrote:Can you(or other developers) implement the new graphic option -"refresh rate" because the all graphic adapters work much faster with a 75 Hertz (for example) rather than with a 60 Hertz (the default screen refresh rate in the all games)?
You can change this in the config file but it is still locked for multi-player games to 45Hz.
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

-Kosh- wrote:Of course it will slow down with 200 units.
I do not think this is a valid test. The game is fill rate limited correct?
I'm not the one to ask about graphics, but I don't think it's "fill rate limited".

The game currently does not slow down much on 200 units (at least on my computer), aside from pathing. AI generally sucks up more power than rendering (at least I think it does; I dunno).
-Kosh- wrote:
MaNGusT wrote:Can you(or other developers) implement the new graphic option -"refresh rate" because the all graphic adapters work much faster with a 75 Hertz (for example) rather than with a 60 Hertz (the default screen refresh rate in the all games)?
You can change this in the config file but it is still locked for multi-player games to 45Hz.
Are we talking about the same thing here? Screen refresh rate is set by the OS (usually 60 Hz); the game shouldn't change that. Game ticks happen at 10 ticks/sec (10 Hz). Game steps happen as fast as the FPS will go, and is capped at 45 FPS (45 Hz).
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I did a test on my computer a few days ago moving 200 units around at once and did some profiling. The shadow drawing code is the biggest bottleneck. I had no issues at all with path-finding. Currently working on optimizing the model drawing code.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Per wrote:I did a test on my computer a few days ago moving 200 units around at once and did some profiling. The shadow drawing code is the biggest bottleneck. I had no issues at all with path-finding. Currently working on optimizing the model drawing code.
Well, we'll just keep going on with our work and, in the end:
If geometry is an issue, we just weld some triangles keeping the map seams intact, this way profitting from the new textures anyway;
If number/size of textures is an issue, we reduce them to whatever size necessary (using proper filters not to loose too much detail);
If shadows are an issue, I'm ready to play without those glitched shadows.

If *EVERYTHING ABOVE* is an issue, we continue doing models, detail them even more and make some nice concept art.

:3
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Zarel wrote:Second request, a T3 bunker buster missile. Ideas: It could be black and red like Archie, to signify that it's a missile. It could be double-barreled.
Ever heard of the devastator missile?
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

Zarel wrote: First request, beam effects for lasers. I hate having lasers that don't look like lasers. :( Just have a muzzle glow + a really long line (as long as the range of the laser) extending from the weapon. Make it + shaped, like existing Warzone projectiles. Put that in the "muzzle flash" graphics slot. They'd be useful for: Flashlight, Pulse Laser, Heavy Laser, Stormy, Commander, Nexus Link.
There was definitely a mod where a laser like that was available, I think it was one of black project's?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Zarel wrote:
First request, beam effects for lasers. I hate having lasers that don't look like lasers. :( Just have a muzzle glow + a really long line (as long as the range of the laser) extending from the weapon. Make it + shaped, like existing Warzone projectiles. Put that in the "muzzle flash" graphics slot. They'd be useful for: Flashlight, Pulse Laser, Heavy Laser, Stormy, Commander, Nexus Link.
wari wrote:There was definitely a mod where a laser like that was available, I think it was one of black project's?
Yes. However, Black Project borrowed it from RSgod's epic "LOD" mod from 6-7 years ago. ;) I'm sure BP duly acknowledged his source - he's very good about that. Lot's of folks with current binary mods have borrowed heavily from RSgod's work as well as Stratadrake's - both true giants in creating work that kept WZ alive while we tried to get the source liberated. Several others belong in that category - Troman, Speedy, 4nE, BLACKSABBATH, Kage, Chojun, Elric Moroe (Grim's brother), Karmazilla, Lav_Coyote, Bones0, Prometheus, Dancing Moogle-Radiosity, HB, NiKer, Sputnick aka Sputy, Carver, Laws245 & Cowboy come to mind immediately.

And make no mistake we would NOT be having this conversation, nor would any of this exist, without those individual's efforts over 6 years just stated - and, IMHO, those efforts are not even close to be being superseded by anything since 2005. But then again, I am admittedly somewhat biased and not a little annoyed by the self-serving poseurs that hang on IRC and those committed to not acknowledging any of that - another elephant in the room, to my mind. ;) Oh well, such is cyber life in this grand net space. O_O

Though in all fairness, work done in 2009 by artists and coders (which I listed in detail and gratefully acknowledged in my WS thread, including the generative, protean, work being done here by MaNGust & Olrox) is proving to be seminal and a quantum leap forward for the game on all fronts but one - the original elephant in the room I addressed in a dedicated thread earlier this year. And frankly, I'm not sure under the challenges posed by the GPL-OSS of the game, anybody will ever be able to adequately address that "elephant". Though this last does not necessarily have to be a deal-breaker for the game having an over all long and promising future. xD

Regards, whip :ninja:

________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Incompetent leadership promotes cronyism by default if not assiduously. As Aristotle noted about nature itself, group dynamics abhor a vacuum, often vigorously and with great inequity."

- from "Incisions With Precision & Excavations for Light" a collection of aphorisms & epigrams
by RJ
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

The new texture for the Bug body by Olrox.
bug+tex2.jpg
bug+tex1.jpg
bug+tex.jpg
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Holy sweet mother of pearl... O_o
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Stunning! O_O

Have you tested the effects these new models have on game speed? If you have some ready-made mods for me, I can do some testing, and see what I can do about possible problems, if you like.